SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2 weeks in with the Speed Queen washer and dryer. Great machines!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 weeks in with the Speed Queen washer and dryer. Great machines! Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Our dryer died, again, and being it’s been fixed several times and was closing in on 20yrs old, we decided it was time for new.

We got the Classic style, the older design but newly made. TC5 and DC5 washer and dryer. We like them very much. Simple dials, traditional top load washer and front load dryer.

The deep fill is great and it spins smoothly and does a good job getting water out. It is a little smaller than our last machine, but not an issue. A queen sized comforter, made with PrimaLoft rather than down, maxes it out.

The dryer is quite deep front to back and the vanes don’t go edge to edge so clothes don’t get stuck. Our last machine always ended up with a sock or two or an undershirt caught in between and so hose pieces never dried. The larger drum that spins faster and the better spin on the washer makes for shorter drying times.

They are also heavier in weight and seem nicer finished than the old Frigidaire set they replaced.

Well worth it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my pair for 3 years now. They work great. Only complaint is that the agitator on the washer is very aggressive and tends to beat up some of our older towels and face clothes.

Great recommendation from Appliance Brad.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Oh and built in the USA!

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We got that washer a few months ago. I was going to get the dryer too, but my sensible wife said, "Why? There's nothing wrong with the old dryer and it's not as if our laundry room is going to be featured in House Beautiful. They don't need to match, they just need to work."

The only thing that she does not like about the washer; with the old one, the stop switch was magnetic, so she could put a magnet on the machine and open the lid and it would keep running. Speed Queen has a mechanical lid switch behind the control panel. A midget contortionist can get back there to put a clothespin on the lever, which will allow the machine to keep running if the lid is opened. Wife got one in place, it stayed there for a week before it fell on the floor behind the machine.

Other than that, best washer we've had in 47 years of togetherness.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
We got the Classic style, the older design but newly made. TP5 and DC5 washer and dryer.

The washer: TC5 or TR5, perhaps? I can't find a TP5.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Corrected, TC5. https://speedqueen.com/product...op-load-washers/tc5/

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have the same TC5/DC5 set, and I've been very happy with them.

I have no trouble washing and drying even a king sized comforter in them.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the things I have learned about our 3 year old Speed Queen pair is that you can use a shorter amount of time on the agitator and it still gets things clean because it is so aggressive. Longer than necessary agitation times cause unnecessary wear on the clothes.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read plenty of good things about Speed Queen. I have a buddy who owns a set and says they are wonderful, but I want to be able to wash a king size comforter at home. We have three dogs and wash our regularly.

Wish they made a bigger model.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have three dogs and wash our regularly.
I don't think you'll be able to wash all three at the same time. Unless they're Chihuahua size.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
How long did it take for you to get yours?

Our washing machine has been starting to go out so we bought a Speed Queen front load washer and dryer. I never would have known about this brand unless it was for this forum. We have been waiting 2 months now to receive them so I have not had a chance to use them yet, but I can’t wait until we get them.

This is what we bought:

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Other than being a bit loud we are satisfied with our new set as well. Clothes seem cleaner, softer.

Posts: 17895 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
They were in stock but the last set at this dealer.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
They were in stock but the last set at this dealer.

You got lucky. Seems most things are a long wait to get right now. I would like to get the new Microsoft Xbox Series X, but you can’t find them anywhere, just like the Sony PS5, unless you feel like paying almost twice the price from someone ripping people off. I will wait.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
They had dryers but was told I got the last washer. The other dealer didn’t have any and neither was sure when they’d get more. Several weeks at least they said.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When we bought our Speed Queen a few months ago, we got one of the only two classic models to be found in the Orlando area. Same price at both dealers, we went with the dealer that had the better yelp reviews. He told us that they did not expect to receive any more for at least eight months, due to supply chain problems.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My washing machine refused to work when we had the sub zero temps last week. I have a repairman coming later in the week. It's a Whirlpool front loader, label says made in Germany, I'm informed it was made under contract to Bosch. Whatever. Hopefully the repair guy doesn't say to go buy an new one for a thousand bucks.

I went to a local laundromat yesterday. They had the white Speed Queen top loaders, the old fashioned ones, didn't look too old. Coin operated, pump in some quarters and mash the go button. I was impressed at how smoothly they worked. Practically no vibration, did a good job cleaning, and managed to extract most of the water so there was not too long a time in the dryers.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post