SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ban on carrying guns in post offices ruled unconstitutional by U.S. judge
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ban on carrying guns in post offices ruled unconstitutional by U.S. judge Login/Join 
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do they at least have a no firearms sign displayed before you get to that machine?

Yes, it was posted but I heard that a guy who left his gun in the car but didn’t take off his loaded magazine was detained in the box. There was a lot of controversy around the machine and the legality of detainment. Not sure if it’s still there, but it was a Bank of America branch.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I would definitely be calling a lawyer if I were detained by a machine installed at a bank. But then I'd not do business with BofA in the first place.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I thought that too, any space controlled by the USPS was off limits. My concern with Michigan having a requirement to notify law enforcement when carrying what would be the outcome if involved in a parking lot fender bender and police were called.

Stash your gun in the trunk or locked glove box before the police arrive and stfu. You cannot be compelled to testify against yourself because of the 5th Amendment. Thus you cannot be compelled to notify an officer you are illegally carrying a firearm. Also, if it is locked up then you aren't carrying it concealed, and the officer has no authority to search your vehicle absent other circumstances like a bag of cocaine visible on the front seat.

Posts: 9477 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I follow English Bob's example:

You recall how that worked out for Robert?

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Be like this Fudd or live as a free man.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys are talking about a mantrap, which isn't a terribly new concept but is becoming more common due to the technology.

Basic premise is that you have a vestibule area with two sets of doors. Only one set of doors can be opened at a time. This prevents a group of people from running in, or running out. If you enter from the sidewalk you open the door, enter the vestibule, and then once the sidewalk door has closed the lobby door will open.

With the addition of metal detectors, these can be set up to where if you walk in from the sidewalk, the lobby doors will not open. You would still be free to open the doors leading back to the sidewalk. Add in a panic button, and you can then trap somebody inside.

Here's an example:

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired Postal Service. Guns for us on postal property was a big NO NO. From 1987 -2017. We were a processing facility until it got moved. I was working for the PO when the shootings occurred. It was usually an upset craft employees shooting managers. Only thing we would usually say was “ Well I hope the office is happier”. Their theory was treat em like dirt and they’ll get mad. A mad employee works faster because of the anger. In my 30 years at our offices there were 9 suicides. Averages about 1 every 3 years. Oh and “ Going Postal” ain’t really accurate. Autoworkers have killed more of their own than us. And we’re Federal Employees not Government. Those folks were called Civil Service. They got a better retirement than us. 30 years you get 70% of your base pay and they pay the healthcare. 40years gets you 80% of your pay plus the healthcare. We got a 401K and they gave us 5% each year.

Posts: 94 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Didn't V-Tail have a run in several years ago with those locking bank chambers?

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

I remember someone on the board having a run in, but do not remember who it was. It was that run in that caused me to notice the locking chamber in Memphis. Unlike the man traps, this was a scanner like at the airport and it detained the person until police arrived. My clients near the location confirmed that it was a weapons scanner that locked if triggered.

Posts: 2968 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imabmwnut:
Retired Postal Service. Guns for us on postal property was a big NO NO. From 1987 -2017. We were a processing facility until it got moved. I was working for the PO when the shootings occurred. It was usually an upset craft employees shooting managers. Only thing we would usually say was “ Well I hope the office is happier”. Their theory was treat em like dirt and they’ll get mad. A mad employee works faster because of the anger. In my 30 years at our offices there were 9 suicides. Averages about 1 every 3 years. Oh and “ Going Postal” ain’t really accurate. Autoworkers have killed more of their own than us. And we’re Federal Employees not Government. Those folks were called Civil Service. They got a better retirement than us. 30 years you get 70% of your base pay and they pay the healthcare. 40years gets you 80% of your pay plus the healthcare. We got a 401K and they gave us 5% each year.

Never worked there but I recall hearing the same stories.

My recollection is that the shootings that inspired this action were related to employees, against fellow employees or in some cases a spouse that happened to be a postal worker.
I don't recall any that were an outsider against the post office, although that could have happened at some point.
Also, as far as I've seen, there seems to be zero real security like metal detectors that could filter out someone bringing a weapon into the location.
Nothing but a sign on the window and that's not much to stop someone that usually ends up killing themself or fighting to get a cop to do that for them.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imabmwnut:

Wow, you are still angry. If you didn't like your job you should have quit. Your analysis of the CSRS benefits at retirement are way off. As an example, an employee with 30 years of service, with a high three year average salary of $60000, and age of 55, will receive an annuity of $33750. That's a far cry from your claim of 70% You are either willfully ignorant or you are full of shit. Which one is it?

Posts: 6631 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:

No.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
I remember someone on the board having a run in, but do not remember who it was. It was that run in that caused me to notice the locking chamber in Memphis. Unlike the man traps, this was a scanner like at the airport and it detained the person until police arrived. My clients near the location confirmed that it was a weapons scanner that locked if triggered.

Dang if I can remember now, sure thought it was V but he says no. Oh well. Smile

Posts: 18047 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I thought that too, any space controlled by the USPS was off limits. My concern with Michigan having a requirement to notify law enforcement when carrying what would be the outcome if involved in a parking lot fender bender and police were called.
Castle Law??

State law requiring notification: 28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to peace officer; violation; fine; notice to department; suspension or revocation by county clerk; entry into law enforcement information network; seizure by peace officer; forfeiture; “peace officer” defined.
Sec. 5f. (1) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol and
his or her state-issued driver license or personal identification card in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology.
(2) An individual who is licensed to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:
(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b) His or her state-issued driver license or personal identification card.
(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable
device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
(4) An individual who violates subsection (1) or (2) is responsible for a state civil infraction and shall be fined $100.00.
(5) An individual who violates subsection (3) is responsible for a state civil infraction and shall be fined as follows:
(a) For a first offense, by a fine of $500.00 and by the individual’s license to carry a concealed pistol being suspended for
6 months.
(b) For a subsequent offense within 3 years of a prior offense, by a fine of $1,000.00 and by the individual’s license to carry
a concealed pistol being revoked.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8126 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
In August 1986 a man named Patrick Sherill walked into the Edmond OK post office on N Broadway.
He shot and killed 14 people, wounded 6 others. Finally he shot himself.

My wife and I both worked in Edmond, we were both a little over 2 miles from the Post Office.

My 1st clue was a long parade of ambulances and law enforment vehicles hauling ass northbound on Broadway Extension. This was before cell phones, texting, internet, etc.

A little later someone ran in and said turn on the TV. It was a live remote broadcast from near the Post Office where this happened. I saw it on TV but had to get back to work.

I knew my wife, along with myself, were about 2 miles from the Post Office, but I was still worried sick about her safety. A little later she called me and told me she was ok. Whew!

I've been in and out of that Post Office many times, both before and after the shooting. I even had a post office box there for some time. When Edmond got a new post office I never went back to the one of the tragedy.
Just couldn't stomach it any longer.

I don't know for sure but I was told some time later that this was where the expression "Going Postal" came from.

CLICK LINK FOR INFO

I've often wondered how it would have played out if someone there had a weapon and was able to put a stop to this deranged evil person.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
OKCGene, here is the one item you forgot to mention .. the guy going postal was a postal worker. The whole 'law' about not being able to carry in a post office was because of several instances like this and as far as I can tell they were all done either by currently employed postal workers or ones that have been fired... So, the logic to passing a law that one can not carry in a post office should have been just for either postal workers or ex-postal workers....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
the guy going postal was a postal worker.

True, but I think one or two have been domestic situations that played out in a PO because the spouse worked there.

But still, not a member of the general public randomly shooting one up, there was a connection.

The rest were workplace violence and there is zero real security to prevent that or protect others.

Just this stupid rule that now extends to all sorts of other Federal Buildings.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obie. You sure are a nice person!, have a great day unless you’ve made other plans.

Posts: 94 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
OKCGene, here is the one item you forgot to mention .. the guy going postal was a postal worker. The whole 'law' about not being able to carry in a post office was because of several instances like this and as far as I can tell they were all done either by currently employed postal workers or ones that have been fired... So, the logic to passing a law that one can not carry in a post office should have been just for either postal workers or ex-postal workers....

The law banning firearms on Post Office property only became federal law in 1972. It did not have anything to do with the shootings in the 1980s.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a federal employee's www site, this has a few more details.

Federal judge upholds USPS employee’s right to carry gun at work for self-defense

Jory Heckman
January 16, 2024 6:26 pm

A federal judge is challenging gun restrictions in post offices across the country.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, in a ruling last Friday, first reported by Reuters, said Postal Service employees have a right under the Second Amendment to carry a gun for self-defense in the post offices where they work.

A USPS spokesman said the ruling more broadly, “determined that a federal statute was unconstitutional which makes it a crime to knowingly bring a firearm or other dangerous weapon into a federal facility.”

Justice Department attorneys argued a government building “has been deemed a sensitive place that can ban the carrying of firearms while not violating an individual’s Second Amendment rights and is consistent with the nation’s historical tradition of firearm regulation...”

Complete article:

https://federalnewsnetwork.com...rk-for-self-defense/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post