SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mountain bike tires question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain bike tires question Login/Join 
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what tubes/tires you run, if you're not keeping up with your inflation pressure, you're going to get more pinch flats. This will happen with the most expensive and durable tires/tubes, if you let the pressure get too low.

If you're riding daily, check pressure every-other day or so. If you're riding less-frequently than that, you need to check it every ride. Pumps are not expensive, and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ride my mountain bike daily. I haven't had too many problems with flats other than punctures from object that a Mr. Tuffy wouldn't help with.

I always run my fingers along the inside surfaces to look for areas that are too sharp. I'm not above using sandpaper to get rid of them, though some people tell me it's bad to do.

You can avoid a lot of problems by taking the wheel and tube off the rim every month and check everything. Reinflate, then deflate and reinflate again upon reassembly.

I've also thought about a plastic strip between the tire and tube to discourage punctures. Sadly, like Mr. Tuffy, they may cause flats if you don't disassemble the wheel once a month or so.

My experience with wire reinforced tires has been negative. The wire eats through the rubber and causes flats.

The biggest problem with tires I've experienced (35 years of riding) is sidewalls fraying and disintegrating with use. It doesn't seem to matter if you take good care of the wheel or not. Most go when there is a lot of tread left on the tire. Black sidewalls are less likely to do this than the tan colored walls.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for the slow reply, I was running the tires at about 80% max PSI, I am going to my local bike shop (where I just had the dang tire replaced 2 months ago and only rode it 2x since then...smh) and let them, again, try to do something with it

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I mentioned earlier this stuff is so much better than Slime as many of the OneWheel owners are using this on their scooters. Enjoy and God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3070 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Great info fellas!

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post