SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watching the Harris Hawks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watching the Harris Hawks Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
two years ago we had a good collection of Harris hawks in the neighborhood - a nesting pair about 100 yards away - they were fun to watch

last year, I think I saw one all year

yesterday I saw two in the skies over the house and was watching them hunt - and it was pretty cool watching them hunt doves in my back yard - a ruffle of feathers and then a head rolling along the ground (gotta go pick that up and toss it)

nice to see them back

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, my old man help get falconry leagized in the State of Kansas. Growing up we had 3 Harris Hawks dad and I trained with. Still my favorite bird of prey.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Some birds are beautiful flyers. When I lived in Minnesota, the purple martins were my favorite. Here in San Diego, it’s the sea gulls – the perfect balance of flying and soaring.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
One of many things I miss since leaving Arizona. Stunningly beautiful hawk.

Posts: 13306 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Check the schedule for the raptor show at the Desert Museum, it is a seasonal attraction. Amazing show in which the audience stands spread out in the desert and Harris Hawks fly around you.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yes I remember seeing that when I was over there last year

will be going over again in April for an afternoon

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post