SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most popular Thanksgiving Sides by State - What's on your Table?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most popular Thanksgiving Sides by State - What's on your Table? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Link

Thanksgiving is one of only 10 federal holidays in the US.

While some workers work holidays, the majority of workers can be thankful on Thanksgiving for a nice meal with their meals. This year, many businesses have announced they will not start Black Friday on Thursday- freeing more workers to enjoy a meal with their family.

It got us thinking, what foods will every one be eating? Are some states crazier for corn than others? Anyone cheesing out? We analyzed Google searches to determine each state’s favorite Thanksgiving side.

The results? Thanksgiving may be called Turkey Day, but maybe it should be called mashed potato day. Or mac ‘n cheese day.

MOST INTERESTING FINDINGS
  • Mashed potatoes are the favorite of 10 states.
  • Right behind mashed potatoes is mac n’ cheese-
  • 7 states know that it’s not Thanksgiving without the cheesy, delicious dish.
  • While most states are reaching for the carbs, Maine is all about that side salad.
  • The south isn’t a casserole belt, but the
  • Midwest can’t get enough – especially of green bean casserole
  • Alabama doesn’t eat stuffing, they like “dressing” AKA southern people stuffing.
  • Only New Hampshire is a big fan of cranberry sauce.
  • Biscuits. Rolls. Crescent rolls. Forget, fancy sides, just toss some rolls in the oven.
  • 47 states want their sides carby, cheesy, potato-y and delicious. Only 3 are reaching for veggies more.

Using Google Trends, we determined what Thanksgiving side each state eats a disproportionate amount of. We examined over 20 Thanksgiving classics. Some controversial decisions were made, including counting gravy as a side.

However, since it’s not a main dish and hopefully isn’t being consumed as a beverage, our hands were tied. Sorry if your family has an uncommon tradition of shrimp cocktails, Red Lobster Cheddar biscuits, or whatever oddity for Turkey day.

Your family is weird, and didn’t fall into our data. However, it should be a good representation on what most of us chow down on at Thanksgiving.

We looked at the month of November 2019 to determine what folks are searching for the most in each state. Traffic for most Thanksgiving sides sky rockets on Thanksgiving day (Turns out, when you’re googling “how to make mashed potatoes”, so it most of America.)

How this year changes (if it does) won’t be apparent until after Thanksgiving- and who wants to wait that long? Luckily, odds are good most of us will still be making mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, and other favorites this year– and probably in 2050, too.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broccoli Casserole is my favorite. I introduced it to my in laws in WV a couple of years ago and they request I make it any time I go visit. The recipe I have is from one of my Grandmothers cookbooks from the 50's. I had to ask my mom what Oleo was (I use butter)

Posts: 1186 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Louisiana Cornbread Dressing is excellent.

I inherited my Grandmother's peanut butter pie recipe and I've continued her tradition of making it every Thanksgiving.

As far as Thanksgiving cuisine, I find the canned cranberry glob to be disgusting. A few alternatives that still keep cranberries on the menu:
  • Last Thanksgiving, my hosts made cranberry-jalepeno relish and it was so delicious that I went to the store the next day, made it, and ate it all weekend.
  • Cranberry Stuffing. I found this back when I lived in Can-eh-duh 2014 to 2016 and it's remained on the menu.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Now Serving 7.62
    Picture of 10X-Shooter
    posted Hide Post
    To go with smoked turkeys we have:
    Baked Mac and cheese
    Green bean casserole
    Candied yams
    Yeast rolls
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Carrots steamed soft with butter
    Pumpkin pie and whipped cream
    Sweet tea

Posts: 6048 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    I'm moving to AK!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    So in Wyoming it’s “brown gravy.” What, like in a bowl, eaten with a spoon?

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    As Extraordinary
    as Everyone Else
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    Oh where to start???

My old family recipe for stuffing is unbelievable. It is made with sausage and other key ingredients.

Our generation contributed a version of mashed potatoes that we first had on a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon about 15 years ago. Basically about half of it is made from cauliflower and tastes so good you can’t even tell it’s in there so I always have seconds!

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Void Where Prohibited
    Picture of WaterburyBob
    posted Hide Post
    Sausage stuffing is great and we always have it, but my absolute favorite is oyster stuffing.
    Cranberries are a must with Thanksgiving. All the other dishes (besides the turkey, of course) are just fillers.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
    posted Hide Post
    Stuffing / Dressing with lots of sage.
    Mashed Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes (Candied)
    Home made Gravy from turkey drippings
    Rolls
    Green bean casserole
    Cranberry (Jelled)
    Fruit cocktail salad
    Pies 1 Sweet Potatoes, 1 Apple

Oh ya can't forget the Turkey

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    I'm perplexed by all the southern states with the Mac & Cheese. HUH? Confused

With ribs, brisket, meatloaf even, Mac & Cheese is amazing. But with turkey and all the fixings? Does not compute to this Pennsylvania yankee.

To me, the must have starchy sides for Thanksgiving are: mashed potatoes, stuffing/filling/dressing (name varies by region) and sweet potatoes/yams

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
    Stuffing / Dressing with lots of sage.
    Mashed Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes (Candied)
    Home made Gravy from turkey drippings
    Rolls
    Green bean casserole
    Cranberry (Jelled)
    Fruit cocktail salad
    Pies 1 Sweet Potatoes, 1 Apple

Oh ya can't forget the Turkey

This mirrors my favorite Thanksgiving dinner. We don't do the Sweet Potatoes and do a pasta salad. That and a pumpkin pie with whipped cream.
    My wife makes the best sage stuffing and dressing from a family recipe that's been around for generations. I'm salivating right now just thinking about it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    My mother made a delicious cranberry salad for Thanksgiving dinner. Raw cranberries run through a hand cranked food grinder. Sugar, walnuts, grated orange peel. If there was anything else I’ve forgotten it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9472 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My wife makes the garlic green beans and I make cranberry sauce (just a bit tart).

Posts: 1778 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    I made my first homemade mac and cheese a couple of years ago, the kids demand it now. Loosely followed The Lady's mac and cheese recipe by Paula Deen. I double it and use more sour cream, cheese and butter Big Grin

https://www.pauladeen.com/reci...he-ladys-cheesy-mac/

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    drop and give me
    20 pushups
    posted Hide Post
    This year the most desired item will be birthday cake even if I have to go buy it myself. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official forum
    SIG Pro
    enthusiast
    Picture of stickman428
    posted Hide Post
    I suppose I’m a bit odd. I loathe traditional thanksgiving food and always make a huge pan of home made ricotta and meat stuffed shells or a huge lasagna and home made mac & cheese so we can enjoy good food while we also eat the traditional stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No good deed
    goes unpunished
    Picture of cheesegrits
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    I'm perplexed by all the southern states with the Mac & Cheese. HUH? Confused

Same here. We've never had mac and cheese for Thanksgiving. Or Christmas for that matter.

Cornbread dressing is a must. Along with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy. I make broccoli casserole instead of green bean casserole. We do have green beans, but they're served as a fresh side, not in a casserole.

My poor non-southern husband, who is an excellent cook, keeps trying to foist some weird mid-western version of dressing on the family. I don't know why he can't get with the program and admit the best dressing is made with cornbread and lots of sage. Big Grin

Posts: 2694 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Cornbread dressing is a must

Posts: 666 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Short. Fat. Bald.
    Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
    posted Hide Post
    Indiana is gonna smell like a gas pipeline burst.

Posts: 2047 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    Homemade mashed potatoes and roasted turkey gravy, homemade fresh green beans, carrot soufflé (don't scoff, it's better than sweet potato and just as sweet!), sage stuffing (blame Yankee parents!), deviled eggs, fresh cranberry sauce, pumpkin muffins, probably something else I'm forgetting.

Damn I'm hungry.

eta - my mom also used to serve these miniature spiced peaches. Whole peach that came in a jar complete with pit inside.

If anyone has a source for these (sliced not good!) please let me know. I've searched off and on and can't find them. Would buy some at most any price to aggravate my wife (long story) but I think they stopped selling them whole. Probably because people were choking on them!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post