SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Milwaukee things to do?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milwaukee things to do? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
Spending the night in Milwaukee with the gf. We are staying at the Knickerbocker and plan on going down to the river walk tonight. Plan on the HD meuseum tomorrow. I like craft brews and we are planning dinner at one of the German restaurants.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beers, brats, German food. Nice time of year for that

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Get drunk, ride a Harley...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
No riding this time! I ate shit in KY last week on my Bike and the ankle is still recovering!

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mader's German Restaurant on Old World 3rd St. for dinner. Kegel's Inn in West Milwaukee is good, too.
Brady St. on the Lower East Side between Van Buren and Farwell is kind of trendy and groovy collection of shops, bars, etc. if you don't mind some new and old hippie types mixed in. Not too many panhandlers, etc but keep your wallet in your front pocket haha.

Have fun! Milwaukee is my hometown, and has come a long way in the last couple of decades to recover from the lost manufacturing jobs. Still not perfect, but a great place on a great lake as they used to say!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Looks like there are a bunch of breweries along he river walk.

YAT-YAS

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the arboretum, in three elliptical Buckminster Fuller geodesic domes. That was a good many years ago.

https://milwaukeedomes.org/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conejito's Place by the HD museum is a cool hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint that serves decent food and has been around for a long time. Nothing fancy but the beef enchiladas, chicken mole and chopped meat tacos have been reliably good for decades. Tasty chips and salsa/guac. House margs are pretty good. Used to be a better bargain but still it's cheap eats served on paper plates.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://www.harley-davidson.co...out-us/visit-us.html

Hit the plant, it's a great tour you see how the engines are made from billets in CNC machines to assembly.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you might have to find an alternate besides walking, but Lakefront Brewery is north of where you're staying just a little bit and they make good beer. Milwaukee (MKE) Brewing and MobCraft are a little south of the HD museum but are in the general area and might perk your interest as well.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I did a tour of the Miller Brewing facility and thought it was very interesting. Stock up on cheese and sausages at Usingers sausage factory. Have fun

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Depending on how far west you would want to go, Delafield Brewhaus is good for both food and beer. They actually have their own on site brewery.
It is a roughly 30 minute drive from the lakefront
http://www.delafieldbrewhaus.com/
For other restaurants down that way I am a bit lacking lately unfortunately as it has been a while since I have been down that way..

Otherwise definitely the HD museum that you were already planing. The plant would be cool if you had the time.

Miller brewery also does tours. If you are into the "naturey" type things...plants and flowers and whatnot, Mitchell park domes is kinda neat.

LOL edit I guess...just noticed the domes and Miller were already mentioned Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Sprecher has a brewery tour.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I spend a considerable amount of time in Milwaukee.

I suggest, for a quite always good meal and environment, Balistreri's either location, both near Miller Park.

Harbor House, on the lake front.

ANYTHING SPRECHER! Great beer and GREAT soda pop.
The brewery tour is very good.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
No riding this time! I ate shit in KY last week on my Bike and the ankle is still recovering!

Hope you fully recover quickly, Ed!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Mader's German Restaurant on Old World 3rd St. for dinner. Kegel's Inn in West Milwaukee is good, too.
Brady St. on the Lower East Side between Van Buren and Farwell is kind of trendy and groovy collection of shops, bars, etc. if you don't mind some new and old hippie types mixed in. Not too many panhandlers, etc but keep your wallet in your front pocket haha.

Have fun! Milwaukee is my hometown, and has come a long way in the last couple of decades to recover from the lost manufacturing jobs. Still not perfect, but a great place on a great lake as they used to say!

Kegel's Inn is a great place. Love their roasted duck.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Lakefront Brewery

That was the best brewery tour we took when in the city 2 years ago. Wasn't on a lake, but they had some great beer and were very generous with it.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do Balistreri's as armored suggested, you MUST do the 68th St. original location. A cozy little joint where the local mafia and Chicago bosses used to dine!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Make a reservation, though. Not unusual to wait 20-30 minutes for a table. For what it's worth, though many, myself included, think it's the best thin crust in the city (very thin, just enough to deliver the toppings), they use canned mushrooms, which I find disgusting on pizza.

Mader's is excellent, and has an incredible array of German-made beer steins for sale. It's also about a block from Milwaukee Brat House.

I agree with the suggestions about Lakefront Brewery and Sprecher Brewery (make a reservation for the tour).

I personally find Conejito's to be the typical Mex-American Milwaukee fare. Personally, I'd recommend The Laughing Taco, which is a few blocks away.

Enjoy your visit!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is The Safe House still around? I haven't been to Milwaukee in 20 years, but The Safe House was fun.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post