SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking recommendations for LED undercabinet kitchen lights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking recommendations for LED undercabinet kitchen lights Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I'm replacing mini-fluorescents and have the 110vac wiring easily accessible. I'm looking for good quality LED lights, preferably available in different lengths and linkable. 4000-4500K would be a plus. Thanks!

Posts: 7322 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at led tape lighting. Did that on our new Contruction 6 years ago and was a fraction of the cost so “dedicated under cabinet lighting”.

Posts: 191 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I saw Walmart had a string of cut-to-measure programmable LED strips in their electronics section. I think the brand was Roku, so there’s one option.

We are having our floor tiles replaced at this time, so I’m looking at other upgrades for the house which will go along with our kitchen upgrades, like backsplash and countertops. Those Roku lights look like they will do the trick for us.

***EDIT***. Here is link: https://www.roku.com/products/...smart-light-strip-se

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn’t considered that for this application. Did you use the bare LEDs on a tape that come on a reel which allow you to cut to length?

Just saw ftttu’s post. I’ll check the Roku brand too. Thanks.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I put LEDs under the counters in our new kitchen. I looked around and researched, and ended up getting them from Flexfire:

https://www.flexfireleds.com/

I got the LED strips, a transformer, and the mounting channel for a cleaner installation. The channel is extruded aluminum that the LED strip slips into, and there's a frosted plastic cover to "soften" the light.

I thought it turned out really well.

It wasn't Walmart cheap, but it did look really good.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I used the lights recommended to me at a popular lighting specialty store in Nashville TN.
I was told many contractors used them in their upscale houses...

"George Kovacs" LED dimmable undercounted strips.

Run don't walk if you see them...

Perhaps I was distracted by the quite sexy sales lady and her quite ample cleavage as she bent over to show me the ones on display in their sample kitchen when making my decision.

BUT... Junk... Just to be clear, the LIGHTS were junk, not the cleavage Big Grin

One was DOA, one mored lasted ~1 month and three more died within a year including one of the original replacements! More than half have been replaced or need replacing now.

On off and dimming from a single switch point is nice... and turned down dim at night they look really sexy... at least the ones still functioning do Roll Eyes

"George Kovacs" Remember that and avoid!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I used the lights recommended to me at a popular lighting specialty store in Nashville TN.
I was told many contractors used them in their upscale houses...

"George Kovacs" LED dimmable undercounted strips.

Run don't walk if you see them...

Perhaps I was distracted by the quite sexy sales lady and her quite ample cleavage as she bent over to show me the ones on display in their sample kitchen when making my decision.

BUT... Junk... Just to be clear, the LIGHTS were junk, not the cleavage Big Grin

One was DOA, one mored lasted ~1 month and three more died within a year including one of the original replacements! More than half have been replaced or need replacing now.

On off and dimming from a single switch point is nice... and turned down dim at night they look really sexy... at least the ones still functioning do Roll Eyes

"George Kovacs" Remember that and avoid!

We had several Kovacs that needed replacing in the first few months, but after that it was years before any issues. The problem now is that they've discontinued most of the line so replacements lights are not available. So avoid them for that reason, too.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys. It’s good to know what to avoid.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We had our kitchen renovated last year and had LED strip lighting tape installed under the cabinets and it’s been great. Came with a remote that allowed us to dial in the color temp; can do 4 settings of warm white to a pretty stark cool white and has brightness settings of 0-100 in 10 increments, I have them on a medium white and 50% brightness.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Do you relly use those light
We do not and wonder why I just had to have them?

Posts: 1605 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12938 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
Do you relly use those light
We do not and wonder why I just had to have them?

I think they’ll be used quite often. At noon on a bright day, the sun and the overhead are generally sufficient but any other time, if you’re going to use the countertop, some light from under the cabinets would be a big help.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm installing new ones in my kitchen. I plan on using these. I've used them before and my local supply house carries them. There may be better out there or cheaper, but I've been happy with these before so I'm just going to stick with them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My no name $13.00 Amazon lights are still great after nine years of use

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54704 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I wanted to put lights under my kitchen cabinets. I called the people at Environmental Lights (www.environmentallights.com) and had a very good talk with them. The lights weren't inexpensive, but not unaffordable either. They're linkable and have touch-button controls for on/off and dimming. I'm very happy with them.

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the leads. Several of those websites are real rabbit holes and should keep me busy for some time.