SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Learning to drive a manual
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Learning to drive a manual Login/Join 
posted
Who here took drivers education in a manual transmission car? My drivers ed was in ‘87 so no chance there. My father did own one car with a manual so I did learn before I had my license. I’m curious to hear when manuals faded out for drivers ed.

Posts: 981 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I drove a Ford Fiesta 4 speed for my driving test. I drive a Chevy Colorado 5 speed currently… I’ll be teaching my soon to be 16 year old son on it; I suppose he’ll be in a shrinking minority.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15628 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I took drivers ed in 1995 on an automatic.

Learned how to drive manual on an old Chevy pickup truck. I have owned 2 manual transmission cars and definitely miss driving manual.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive a stick delivering pizzas a year out of high school. It was their VW bug, the tranny a testament to durability as I beat it up good learning. And thrashed it worse once I learned the ropes. It led the way to one of life's pleasures, getting paid to drive other peoples' cars.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Did drivers ed on an automatic. A Ford Fairmont if I remember correctly. May have been the worst car I ever drove. To honk the horn, you had to push in on the turn signal stalk.

My sister had a '76 Honda Civic. That what I learned to drive a stick on. I still drive a stick.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Took drivers Ed in 1966 in my sophomore year, car was a brand new VW bug. Everyone had to pass driver's ed in a manual trans VW! Have never been without at least one MT car; currently the 3-pedal ride is a 2017 BMW 440xi

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My initial Driver Ed car was my old mans 1961 Chevy Biscayne Coupe 6 cylinder. No power brakes or steering. 3 on the tree. I did not really drive it. It was more like wrestling.
HS Driver Ed car was a 72 Chevy Nova 4 Door with power brakes, steering and auto trans.
Felt like a Rolls Royce to me!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16126 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I didn't take my license test in a manual, but a friend of mine did. This would've been about '96.

If it were up to me, no one would be given a driver's license unless he could pass the test in a manual.

As far as driver's education, the manual transmission was discussed but certainly wasn't more than just an after thought at the time.

My daily driver is currently a manual and have been since 2005.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I learned in my dads 65 chevy van 3 on the tree when I was 13 years old, on some dirt roads along the river.
Then drivers ed in 1970 in a VW bug 4speed.
I’ve got a geo tracker 5 speed I drive to work. My wife, who used to drive a Porsche, now says she can’t drive a stick and won’t even try.
My nephew, who is 30 years old, rides all kinds of motorcycles but says he can’t drive a stickshift car.
I’m gonna go pick that boy up and put him in the tracker. If you can work a motorcycle clutch and gearbox you should be able to drive a manual trans car I’m thinking.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Took Driver's Training in '84. Car was a Ford Fairmont, I believe. Automatic with one steering wheel, but dual brake pedals so the instructor could stomp on it in case of an error. The car I took my test on was my dad's '68 Mercury Cougar which was an auto. Dad gave me his '78 Datsun pickup after I got my license, which was a manual, so I learned stick for that.

This is how Dad taught me:

Me: "When do I shift?"
Dad: "You do it by feel."
Me: "But, where should the revs be on the tach, or what speed should I be at?"
Dad: "What did I say? You do it by feel!"
Me: "But, I've never driven a stick before, so I can't do it by feel. If you tell me the speed or engine revs, I can gauge the feel better."
Dad: "See? You're always arguing with me! DO WHAT I SAY!"

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'd rather drive the vehicle than the manual.

I keed I keed.... Big Grin

In drivers ed in the mid 1980's they had mostly automatics but there were several manual transmissions. You had to drive one on the range at least twice.

I really learned how to drive a stick in a '75 Mack ('82 Pierce conversion) Class A triple combination pumper with a manual transmission and standard gears so you had to double clutch it. Driver certification involved the Captain's coffee cup on the dash and not one drop better spill.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is hard to even find a manual transmission these days, in many brands. Learned to drive one at 16, 3 speed on the column.

Posts: 12743 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I took Driver's Ed in '81. Although they had a manual available, I was assigned to the automatic vehicle. I learned how to drive a manual in 1990 while in the Air Force in a deuce and a half from an NCO in the Motor Pool. We got a flat on the edge of the Everglades. Fun times.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Started driving at 13 on Chevy Chase Canyon in my dad's sports car. By the time I was 16 we had moved to rural Colorado so I drove the farm roads in a Toyota FJ40 three on the tree. That's a real primitive experience compared to modern cars. I taught each of my boys how. Told them that by the time they engaged the clutch 100 times, they'd get it smooth and would never forget how. Some of them got it before 50. One got it before 30. The last one, well, he prefers automatic transmissions. He still has not reached his 50th shift.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I took drivers Ed in 93 in an automatic, but my family only owned manual transmission vehicles and so I really learned to drive on those. The first two vehicles I bought myself, in 94 and 98, were manual transmissions.

I wanted my next new vehicle to be a manual as well, I was looking at the new Bronco, but since Ford can’t make enough cars to meet demand I’ll have to wait I guess.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My initial Driver Ed car was my old mans 1961 Chevy Biscayne Coupe 6 cylinder. No power brakes or steering. 3 on the tree. I did not really drive it. It was more like wrestling.
HS Driver Ed car was a 72 Chevy Nova 4 Door with power brakes, steering and auto trans.
Felt like a Rolls Royce to me!
I did not take driver Ed but, my 1st car was a '66 Biscayne, 3 on the tree. Actually was a nice car and a great 6 banger. I learned to drive Tractor trailers years later in school. Had several cars in manual transmissions and, I've drivin all the big trucks except Marmon. Gear boxes up to 18 speed and one really cool old V8 Detroit dumper with 2 sticks.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learned on auto (1980) and have only owned one manual(Mustang). The “fun” wore off very quickly and I’d never buy another stick.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Driver's Ed in '76. Don't remember the car but it was auto. I learned stick when I bought a Ford Courier and have had many since.

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took drivers Ed. in "74".
I remember thinking that the column shift seemed easier than the floor shift.

Back then the high school offered the class.

But now a lot of schools sub contract with independent instructors.

And the kids pay them directly.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54712 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember when I learned to drive. But grew up on two cylinder JDs. Hand clutch and non-synchronized transmission.
All the farm trucks were manual. From “3 on the tree” with non-synchronized 1st, to 4spd with 2spd rear ends, to 10spd Mack with air shifted auxiliary.
I figured out double clutching and RPM matching at a fairly early age.

Driver’s Ed was offered by my HS. The driving portion was in a mid 80s Caprice Classic. So it was automatic.

I took my driver’s test in a 1984 Nissan truck with a 5spd. It had AC and that helped with Officer Presley’s demeanor.

Only manuals I own now are tractors and motorcycles.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post