SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Algebra/ Finance problem, help please!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Algebra/ Finance problem, help please! Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If Stream B really is negative, my solution can still work. The token explanation is he is borrowing the net present value of Stream B which he will pay back accordingly to help fund Stream A from which she will get the future cash flows.

Row 4 will still be the total but because the signs of Stream A and B are opposites, the result will be the difference.

I repeat she has to extend the years until the resulting IRR is the same from one year to the next.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20019 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Seems like a poorly worded question. How does one receive negative cash flow?

I read it as with A you get $11,600 at the end of year 3 and then the amount grows at 4% in each of the following years. So $11,600*1.04 in year 4, $11,600*1.04^2 in year 5, $11,600*1.04^3 in year 6, and so on.

For B you pay out a fixed $13,000 a year starting at the end of year 2.

If you add the two streams together it would be:

Today: 0+0
Year 1: 0+0
Year 2: 0-$13,000
Year 3: $11,600-$13,000
Year 4 and subsequent years: $11,600*1.04^(Year-3)-$13,000

But again, the question doesn't seem right.

I believe this is set up right.

This looks like a project that would start debt service (the B negative cash flows) in two years and start generating earnings (the A positive cash flows) a year later. The combined project would be cash flow negative for an initial period, starting in year 2 and would take take a few years (till year 6) for the growth factor to turn the combined annual cash flow positive.

The IRR is the interest rate that would make the sum of the year's numbers set up above, after each is discounted back to the present by the 12% discount rate, equal zero. I suspect the prof is looking for an algebraic answer.

For a rough approximation I put it into Excel for 50 years and got an IRR of 8.6%.

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

Rey HRH, you had it set up right. I set up a spreadsheet using your instructions, and came up with an IRR of 16.84% going out 100 years. The answer they were looking for was 16.9%, and it may have gotten there if I had taken it out past 100 years.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. There’s most likely a formula to address the ever increasing payout into perpetuity but it would be in the textbook your friend is using for class.

You probably would have seen the IRR still not being constant if you displayed more decimal places. But I don’t know how many places it would take and I didn’t think of that angle when I was considering the problem. I don’t know if I would have caught it myself.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20019 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post