SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Budget Rowing Machine From Costco - I’m loving it!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget Rowing Machine From Costco - I’m loving it! Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Been going hard core losing weight and getting into shape for the past 6 months. Down 125 pounds to 219 from 344 (at 5’8”).

Pretty much relying on walking, Peloton, and “real” bicycle with very occasional dumbbell workouts. Never a fan of weights, so very hard to get motivated to do them with any frequency.

As I am nearing my 190 lb goal, decided I needed to do something for upper body and core. I’ve always liked rowing machines when there was one available at the gym, so when I saw the “Pro-Form Sport RL” rowing machine at my local Costco I thought that might be just the the thing I need.

Did some research, watched a couple YouTube reviews on it, then went back a few days later after deciding to take a chance on it (of course no real risk at all with Costco’s return policy).

It is magnetic resistance with 24 resistance levels and stands up/folds for storage. LCD screen and works with the IFit app and Bluetooth connection to you iOS or Android tablet.

$399 price includes a 1-year family (5 users) premium IFit subscription for rowing as well as many other live/on demand streaming workouts. The IFit subscription sells for $297 so pretty good deal bundled with the machine.

I’ve had it for a week now and am pretty impressed at the value. Pretty smooth, both the slide and the wheel/resistance. Streaming workouts are great with lots of variety in length, resistance, indoor (studio) or action cam view on rivers and lakes.

The only hiccup was the gift card with IFit subscription code was not in my box. I called the store (on a Sunday) he looked into it and after talking with someone at Costco corporate, they had a code for me on Tuesday.

I am now one week and 74,000 meters into it (46 miles) and it is the perfect upper body/core compliment to the Peloton. Of course lots of leg use in rowing as well but my legs aren’t a concern at this point. Actually burns calories a bit faster than the Peloton since you are adding arms and core to the equation.

Anyway, I can highly recommend it if anyone is looking for a rower but doesn’t have the budget for higher end ones. It was a warehouse item in my area, doesn’t look to be avail at Costco.com though a higher end Pro-Form model is.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10943 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for this review. I have been planning on getting a rowing machine for myself, but am also on a budget. Since I figure I might not stick with it, I have held off paying for one of the thousand+ dollar machines. This is priced well enough for me to take the plunge.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Thank you very much for this review. I have been planning on getting a rowing machine for myself, but am also on a budget. Since I figure I might not stick with it, I have held off paying for one of the thousand+ dollar machines. This is priced well enough for me to take the plunge.

When I first saw it, they had 4 pallets with 4 machines per pallet.

When I went back a week later they only had 3 machines left. You know Costco, when they are gone they may not get more so you may want to go sooner than later.

Posts: 10943 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife stated machine is not useable without the subscription.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Wife stated machine is not useable without the subscription.

Not true.

It has an LCD screen for basic info (power, stroke count, time, resistance level).

There were a couple of steps to “unlock” the console before use, but I got it started without subscription and didn’t get the subscription set up for a couple days.

If I remember correctly, to unlock console and begin to use you:

1. Download app

2. Set up iFIT account (no cost)

3. When it offers 1 month free. Hit “Skip”

4. Pair with machine and console becomes active.

Without subscription, there are still some limited streaming training routines with app and machine still works as stand alone with the LCD display.

For Apple users, the iFIT app connects to the iPhone Health app and logs info into the Fitness app, but ONLY if you have the premium subscription.

Besides, the subscription is included so no add on at least for the first year. Single person annual cost was $108 if you don’t need family and want to continue with all premium app features.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
My wife would be interested in that. She would buy it and never use it. Confused

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6972 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the weight loss — that’s impressive!

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I have no use for an exercise machine that can't be used to hang my clothes Wink JK I've been looking for one and appreciate the review.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I have no use for an exercise machine that can't be used to hang my clothes Wink JK I've been looking for one and appreciate the review.

It’ll hold lots of clothes, just need to fold them first Wink