SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet time. Wood for me. What are you getting and how much a ton?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet time. Wood for me. What are you getting and how much a ton? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Lignetics for me this year. Have not used but they have been around for years. Just under $200 a ton. 3 ton for me going into winter. Should get me through most if not all of it. All eight months of it. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19249 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Really nice hard wood pellets with little or no dust from the Amish at $249 a ton. They have a delivery service of bulk pellets at $225 a ton, you just need a pellet bin to hold them or you can go with a two ton soft bag. We buy them where they are made. While it's not a super price (TSC same price) but these pellets are top quality Super hot burn, very low ash, and no auger stoppages. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The cost of pellets have become a rip-off. hard to imagine running my furnace with a nest would cost me more that $750-500 worth of pellets.
I loved them 10 years ago, lost my taste for them now...
Sold my house that had it.
I Would never get another one.
AND Natural Gas has gone down in price.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We don't have a huge selection here in Missouri. I generally get them at Lowes. Normal retail is about $200 a ton. I tend to buy them online instead of directly from the store. This gets me a larger bulk discount, and I can usually find a code that gets me another 10% or so off.

I'm not buying any this year because I still have 4 tons left from previous purchases. I'm on propane, so the break even is roughly $1.00 per gallon. Anything under that and propane is clearly less expensive to run. Anything over that and I tend to either supplement or burn pellets exclusively.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15732 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
i guess it depends about being a ripoff. There are lots of sources and I find they are a pretty good value at $200 a ton. About 85% or more of my entire heating budget is $600 worth of pellets. I can live with that. There is work involved. But it is worth it to me at this point. And I like the heat of a stove I can get near to warm up too. Animals like it too.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I rented a place awhile back that had a pellet stove and I just did not care for it. Granted, it was a low-end model and I'm certain there better ones out there that would perhaps change my opinion of them.

I'll stick with a regular wood stove. The heat can't be beat IMO. Just last week I got three cords of bone dry larch put up which is enough to get me through pretty comfortably. I'm considering grabbing a pallet of pressed "logs" though and tucking them in the corner of the shop just in case. Between those two and a freshly topped off propane tank, I'm set.

Regular wood is messy, a lot of work to get, and kind of a PITA, but the mess I can clean up, the work is "good" work that I enjoy, and the PITA is easy enough to deal with. For me, there is just nothing like a roaring real wood fire to keep the house toasty warm when it's snowing and blowing outside.

They are selling the pallets of "logs" here for $295. I don't know how many there are per pallet, but it's quite a few. And those things burn for a LONG time. I have a friend who buys two pallets per year and that's all they use, so...$600ish a year isn't bad.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I installed a Whitfield Pellet Stove in my last house and was happy to pay $85 a ton at our local farm and ranch store. They we excellent quality pellets and I could buy a ton and take what my compact truck would haul while leaving the balance for the next trip.

Over the years the price kept going up and now I see nearly triple what I paid then. I eventually switched to propane as it was a far cheaper option. I sold that home and now have natural gas.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
i did not intend on this thread turning into a anti pellet fuel one.

I cut and burn three to four cord of wood in my shop stove. Also inhibit a cabin with wood stove. Yes I love those. My main residence has the pellet stove due mainly to the house design. We have had pellet stoves for more twenty years. Yes the price has gone up. Like everything else.

So I am glad you like your wood, propane, nat. gas, elect, yada, yada. But this thread is for those who are using and buying pellet fuel.

Thank you.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Long-Tons of Pellets are around $225 in Colorado.

I don't use them, myself, but I see signs often.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
$220 a ton here on sale at the local feed store.
I love my pellet stove! We have a heat pump, so when it is really cold, you can forget about that..Plus, set on low, it keeps the house comfortable at night.
We will probably use 1 1/2-2 tons this winter.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
3-4 tons every season for 23years. Using Hamer the last few seasons at about $220/ton.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post