SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have an umbrella start leaking?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have an umbrella start leaking? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I have a pretty decent umbrella that I've had for years-maybe 10 or more. Last time I used it in a heavy rain, I started feeling drops on my head. Water was coming through and dripping on me. There are no obvious holes. It seemed like the fabric was just saturated and slowly dripping through.

It usually stays on the back floor of my vehicle, so not exposed to direct sunlight. Has anyone had an umbrella lose waterproofness? Do you think I can spray it with a silicone spray to regain waterproofness?

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
10 years? Man, buy a new one. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26396 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess you have gotten your $$$ out of it, but Scotch Guard may fix it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spray on waterproofing for boots?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've definitely gotten my money out of it, but it's still rock solid and I like the size. I don't want to have to keep messing with it, but it Scotch Guard or a silicone spray with keep it going for years, I'd rather do that than shop for a new one.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get ye to a store that sells better tents and camping gear. They should have rain fly seam sealer. It is used to seal the stitching on the rain fly of the tent so if it is stitching on the umbrella it should do the trick.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
How can enduring all those hurricanes not desensitize you to a few drops of water? Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
HMMMMM This is the first time I've heard of an umbrella needing an umbrella.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I don't think the fabric itself needs to be water proof. It just needs to run the water to the edge where it will drop off.

More likely the water is wicking through the thread holes where the fabric is attached to the frame.

You can find some silicone seam sealant used on tents to fill and seal those holes. I imagine a small dab of flexible silicone caulk (essentially the same as seam sealant, just thicker) would also do the trick.

I keep a can of Scotchgard around to treat the seats in my car periodically. If you had some, scotch guarding the exterior will improve beading performance too.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make various aerosal waterproofing products. Fabric from time to time will need to be re-waterproofed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm no scientist here but doesn't a "leaking umbrella" just mean you aint got an umbrella.

I can hold my hands over my head and call it a leaking umbrella lol.

Go buy a new one.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
What kind of umbrella is it--it sounds good?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post