SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Misleading "News" stories and decietful "journalism".
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misleading "News" stories and decietful "journalism". Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let the USPS live or die on it's own, not propped up by the taxpayer.
My local Post Office has a sign that claims that the USPS is not subsidized by taxpayers; they claim that the USPS has to earn its own way.

I have no idea whether or not that is a true statement, but the sign is there, hanging on the wall.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
My default position is now that everything I read or see in the "news media," from any agency large or small, is a calculated and deliberate lie, and look for the motive behind reporting a particular event or opinion. A vast majority of the time it is, increasingly, not to inform me. If you abandon the concept of "news," it's easy, and even entertaining. The chilling reality behind this is that the zombie mob can be swayed daily one way or the other, but I would caution the manipulators that are confident of the righteousness of their cause at the cost of the truth, the torches will burn mansion and hovel alike, until the world is ashes.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Please remove the topic of the article from the discission.

The desired discussion was about the bait and switch, misleading, fabrication, and out right lies of the media that have become consumed and accepted my MOST irregardless of their political stance or views. Media is no longer being held accountable to report just the facts. Media should let the readers form their own opinions right or wrong. Instead media ads bias to things in order to sensationalize or advance media adgendas and make the sale or get the spotlight.

As one previously pointed out, critical thinking is getting scarce. Stop and wonder why...

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

As you requested... I won't discuss taxpayer subsidies of the post office.

quote:
First-class mail effectively subsidizes the national network, and the packages get a free ride. An April analysis from Citigroup estimates that if costs were fairly allocated, on average parcels would cost $1.46 more to deliver. It is as if every Amazon box comes with a dollar or two stapled to the packing slip—a gift card from Uncle Sam. ..."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/w...-delivery-1499987531

"It is as if..." is an analogy, not a truth of fact.

Sure.... "It is as if..." is an analogy not a truth of fact.

But don't most people understand that?
Especially most people who would take the time to read the WSJ?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

As you requested... I won't discuss taxpayer subsidies of the post office.

quote:
First-class mail effectively subsidizes the national network, and the packages get a free ride. An April analysis from Citigroup estimates that if costs were fairly allocated, on average parcels would cost $1.46 more to deliver. It is as if every Amazon box comes with a dollar or two stapled to the packing slip—a gift card from Uncle Sam. ..."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/w...-delivery-1499987531

"It is as if..." is an analogy, not a truth of fact.

Sure.... "It is as if..." is an analogy not a truth of fact.

But don't most people understand that?
Especially most people who would take the time to read the WSJ?

Sadly, many miss it and many don't see the deception. It has become an accepted norm. The authors push whatever their desired agenda is whether fact supports it or not.

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The post office can lose money on every transaction. They make it up in volume... and with the support of the US taxpayer.

If the post office lost money on every transaction, it would be out of business. It is entirely self-funded through postage and services, not taxes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18094 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Propaganda 101

1,000,000 people read the headline
100,000 read the article too
10,000 ---> I see what you did there

Posts: 441 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post