SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone have experience with room-sized evaporative coolers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have experience with room-sized evaporative coolers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
PHPaul, consider the portable cooler with the dual duct. One is exhaust, the other is the intake. The single duct units work fine, but exhausting the room air creates a slight negative in the room / area. It can create warm humid air to be pulled in to be conditioned. A defeating design. Dual duct units are not as common.

Posts: 255 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ What he said.

I have a single duct one. We call it R2 (short for R2D2).

R2 isn’t very efficient. For every CF of air it exhausts, it draws an equal amount of unconditioned air back into the building. R2 vents out 120° air, but draws 95° air back inside. It will cool a room, but it works hard to do so. A two duct unit would be way better.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
We have one of the portable units on casters. Had it for maybe 20 years We have used it after hurricanes. Works good for the bedroom but the exhaust tube gets pretty warm. Last time we used it we wrapped the exhaust tube with a light weight blanket to try to keep that hot air out of the room.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We had single duct, portable on loan last Summer. It managed our bedroom just fine and it got to 105° on several days. This is a large room and we even left the door open.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wondering how much heat do these units lower a room or area by or how many degrees ?? God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

They exhaust the hot air out the window with a tube and an adjustable panel to fit the window space.

[snip]

Get a portable, fit the window panel, and sleep cool. No regrets.

That seems like the best plan. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

Again, thanks everyone.

Understand that they are not as efficient as a regular window unit, but by God, they do bring the temp and humidity down to a livable level, and beat the holy hell out of no AC at all. Plus, ours is 12 years old now, and I suspect the new ones are better.

I apologize for nesting quotes....

Newer ones don't need to drain or have buckets to dump of water, they evaporate it internally.

Some of the newer units are Heat/Fan/Cool, so it would work well for you during the winter months as a heat source.

Link to Delonghi portable options

For the vent they come with the dryer style exhaust hose and a window kit to mount exhaust, however you could put in a dryer vent in the wall with flapper and screen to keep critters out.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post