SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Intersting convenience store robbery, suspect shot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intersting convenience store robbery, suspect shot Login/Join 
posted
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/new...oint-market/2203161/

This video has sound:
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea...hp#item-85307-tbla-5

The .mil vet behind the counter grabbed a gun during the robbery. He then got pistol whipped a few times. Robber ran off with a lot of cash, and the vet got one shot off as the robber ran by the front counter, or perhaps during the beating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see he survived - but I certainly would not agree with the comment about "his training" kicking in.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sad commentary on the local scene that the clerk feels the need to justify defending his life.
California isn't Texas.

Posts: 9795 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the clerk managed to get off a shot while suspect was over him, then suspect ran out. Good to see the good guy survive, but he clearly wasn't paying attention to the customers-turned-criminals who gained quick access to the register. He should have had his gun drawn the moment the guy got behind the counter.

And Bay Point is a bit of a dump. Ok, it's a big dump.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Did the clerk fire twice or only once? I hear a bang as they are struggling, but looks to me like he got another round off as the whipper was running off (you can hear him say, "Ouch!"). Not clear which round found its mark.

I think he showed good safe practice by not shooting again as the perp runs right by him, knowing that other customers could be in the line-of-fire.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
I see that the "other customer" came behind the counter and took the clerks gun from the counter.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The gun in the drawer is fine- as a backup gun, but the clerk needs a pistol on his person, under a loose-fitting shoot. Appendix carry would make sense in these circumstances, considering that the clerk is likely to be forced to lay face down on the floor. Appendix carry would allow him to conceal his draw.

The guy is lucky, because he managed to get a pistol out of a closed drawer in plain sight of the formerly living asshole, but luck is all that it was. Perhaps the laws of his state don't allow him to conceal. If that is the case, having the pistol more easily accessible- not having to open a drawer to retrieve it- would make sense.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I believe it actually is a CA law thing. My understanding (IANAL) is that you may possess a firearm at your place of business, but not carry same (whether open or concealed). So many keep a weapon in a drawer next to the register- just as this chap did.

I think there is an exception to carry if your life is in imminent danger.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tsig
posted Hide Post
I had a justifiable use of deadly force when I had my business in California early '90. (Took two robbers out) I carried my P228 with 147gr Federeal hydra shock in an SOB holster under a sport coat. You can carry in your place of business back then, I don't know about now.

Posts: 708 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: October 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It seems like they did change it. I used to see open carry at small businesses from time to time a decade ago, but not lately. Now they say you keep it in a drawer next to the register.

Nice story, btw.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, thank goodness that there's no danger in being predictable.

Posts: 109043 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tsig
posted Hide Post
Thank God. It was to save three to include my two weeks old first child. I had to draw on drawn guns because I had no guarantee we would be safe after we had given them the monies. it was an element of surprise so they did not get a shot off of their guns.

Posts: 708 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: October 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsig:
Thank God. It was to save three to include my two weeks old first child. I had to draw on drawn guns because I had no guarantee we would be safe after we had given them the monies. it was an element of surprise so they did not get a shot off of their guns.

that's great to hear

I had it phrased to me this way a while back -- why would you trust someone who sticks a gun in your face and threatens to kill you that they will 'do the right thing' after you give them your money, wallet, car, whatever? what have they done to earn that trust?

obviously people need to make a split second decision and there's no way to know what can / will happen in advance. glad yours worked out.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post