SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Honestly, how many of you don't know what a....
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Honestly, how many of you don't know what a.... Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Honestly now... how many of you really have no idea what a paczki is, or have never had one on Fat Tuesday...(or Paczki day)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
paczki is the 2nd tier Fat Tuesday dessert. King's Cake is THE Fat Tuesday dessert.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
It's hard to get good ones here in Indy, never had a problem in Chicago

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Honestly now... how many of you really have no idea what a paczki is, or have never had one on Fat Tuesday...(or Paczki day)
Here's one. Never celebrated Fat Tuesday, either--barely have even heard of it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I see them every year in the store.

I try to keep on walking.

I don't always succeed.

They come in packs of four.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of the unwashed. I may possibly have heard of them, but have no idea what they are.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I see them every year in the store.

I try to keep on walking.

I don't always succeed.

They come in packs of four.

I recently found 'mini' paczki's !
Actually, they are regular size but cut into bite size! Oh My!!!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the big deal about a jelly doughnut? I think they kinda suck personally, but I don't really like dessert food or pastries.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I must admit that I have never heard of them. Must have lived a cloistered life. Unless, of course, Private Pyle had one hidden in his foot locker:

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
What's the big deal about a jelly doughnut? I think they kinda suck personally, but I don't really like dessert food or pastries.

Blasphemy!

Seriously, some variations aren't much better than a gas station donut. Others are quite good. I usually get one or two a year with custard filling. Probably about 1000 calories of carbs. That's enough.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had paczki. King's Cake does not excite me. The majority of Mardi Gras traditions & NOLA foods are delightful.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Best part of interning in Lansing at a State Rep's office. Every State Rep, even ones no where near Detroit, had to have a large box sent to them them from Hamtramack on Fat Tuesday.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I heard of them here on the Forum. Never seen one in real life. That's probably for the best.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Never heard of 'em. That's ok though. There are lots of folks in my area who never heard of Kringle either.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Never mind that, what is Fat Tuesday?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Never heard if it until it was mentioned on Santa Clarita Diet.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
This thread is the first time I've even seen the word.

That said...will keep my eyes open for them, now! Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Never mind that, what is Fat Tuesday?

Bob
It's the day before Lent starts. Some Christian denominations give up something (eg sweets) during the 40 days of Lent. When they crave it they're supposed to pray.

Therefore, some people gorge themselves on rich, fatty, sugary foods on Fat Tuesday and King's cake and Paczki are two of the most popular Fat Tuesday sweets.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
As a former Detroiter, I've had the real ones from Poletown...

The quality very much varies on where you get them. Personally I miss from living in Lansing the chocolate frosted cinnamon rolls from Quality Dairy. Damn those things were like crack

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post