SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 10 Pro clean install: privacy settings questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 Pro clean install: privacy settings questions Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
A few years ago we had some discussions here regarding privacy settings to choose when doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. IIRC, some of the choices were not obvious. There are a number of guides available on the web. The discussions here mentioned a few hidden things I want to be sure I do not miss.

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I just did an upgrade from Win7 to Win10. The local IT techs and engineers recommended opting out of them all when presented with the privacy menu during install with the understanding that one can't be fully defeated and will still provide basic trouble related data to MS.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I wish I had saved the thread. Cortana is one thing I definitely do not want.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Among other things, look for the update options where it says the bastard Will search all your LAN for other devices to update And Share Those magnificent updates with. It keeps a torrent engine running in The background. Need it or not.
0-0

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm using Win10 Pro now and I turned off all of that shit. It took me a while to find all of it. Highly invasive.

Posts: 107732 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I won't upgrade to Win10 on any machine I own for that very reason

if MS wants my data, they should pay me - $1 million a year to run their OS shouldn't be that much out of their pocket

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53234 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Support for Win7 ends next year.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107732 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I know, but that gives me at least a year.

I only use 4 major programs - Word, Excel, Firefox and Outlook

most everything else is just fluff, as long as I can still run those four things, I'm happy

if not, I'll go back to DOS 3.2 and start over Smile

Posts: 53234 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Be careful nhtagmember - Russian Bots are out there lurking.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living In A Wild Place
posted Hide Post
Spybot Anti-Beacon is what i used to turn stuff off.

Posts: 295 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: June 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
This is JUST the starting point - I suggest several searches and heed all advice:

https://pixelprivacy.com/resou...ws-privacy-settings/

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4584 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
This is JUST the starting point - I suggest several searches and heed all advice:

https://pixelprivacy.com/resou...ws-privacy-settings/

Thank you for this.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

if MS wants my data, they should pay me - $1 million a year to run their OS shouldn't be that much out of their pocket

That was my attitude until I was faced with a clean install of Win7. With support dying soon and the ability to kill the invasive crap I went ahead and upgraded.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
A few years ago we had some discussions here regarding privacy settings to choose when doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. IIRC, some of the choices were not obvious. There are a number of guides available on the web. The discussions here mentioned a few hidden things I want to be sure I do not miss.

Thank you for your help.

If you're talking about the prompts during the install, I uncheck everything.

quote:

If you truly care about security, and want the most secure OS for the Windows platform by far - then you need to upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP. With Windows 7, your data is much less secure, especially when you can't get updates for it around the corner. This is regardless of how much info you are allowing Microsoft to pull from you.

Google "adjusting windows 10 telemetry settings" for info on how to turn it down as far as possible. I have an Enterprise version of 10 which allows you to turn it off completely.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DonDraper,

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Google "adjusting windows 10 telemetry settings" for info on how to turn it down as far as possible.

This helped me find some more things to do, thank you.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its not about security - its about privacy

and the fact that they're so sneaky about it hiding stuff, needing a PhD in IT technology and everything else

nothing I have on my machine requires security, but I'd like it to remain private

MS is the antithesis of privacy

not willing to trade one for the other

my machine that I am going to run starting in 2020 is a Linus box running Mint - over a VPN

again, its not about security as there is little there to get, just don't want my computer OS data mining me

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
its not about security - its about privacy

and the fact that they're so sneaky about it hiding stuff, needing a PhD in IT technology and everything else

nothing I have on my machine requires security, but I'd like it to remain private

MS is the antithesis of privacy

not willing to trade one for the other

my machine that I am going to run starting in 2020 is a Linus box running Mint - over a VPN

again, its not about security as there is little there to get, just don't want my computer OS data mining me

Give up your security and nothing you have will be private. Microsoft doesn't tie any of the data they collect to a person. If you do any banking transactions, or shopping on your Windows computer - you privacy is going to be much more safe on Windows 10.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post