SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me find a diet Mt. Dew alternative
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me find a diet Mt. Dew alternative Login/Join 
posted
I really like my diet Mt. Dew. It’s my go to caffeinated drink and I usually have two cans a day. I have one first thing in the morning like most have coffee. I know it contains a lot of chemicals and artificial junk and that’s what I want to get away from.

I would like to find another carbonated, caffeinated and less artificial drink to take its place. I want to limit the fake sugars. Many of the drinks I looked at already are pretty pricey at $2-3 a can. I would like to keep the cost down too.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Coffee? No, it's not carbonated, but you won't find an equivalent to diet Mt. Dew that's caffeinated, carbonated AND less artificial.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8950 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Or tea ?

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t like regular coffee. I do like iced lattes which are of course artificial sweetened/flavored.

Tea give me a upset stomach if I drink it on an empty stomach

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I switched from soda to natural flavored unsweetened carbonated water. Polar is my favorite with LaCroix a distant second. Might give them a try,

I do keep non-artificial sweetened ginger ale, ginger beer, and tonic waters on hand though. The former for settling my stomach when needed, And the later two for mixed drinks.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I switched from soda to natural flavored unsweetened carbonated water. Polar is my favorite with LaCroix a distant second. Might give them a try,

I do drink seltzer water too but it does not have my caffeine

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:

Ah you're right and I forgot that. There are some sweet teas out there that might work for you which WaterburyBob hinted at.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Me three.

I drink a lot of Kroger Sparkling Water. The flavors are plentiful. I love those with coconut. But, they are naturally and artificially flavored.

I loved diet Mt. Dew, but my Doc recommended I stop the Dew when I developed afib last June.

10 calories for 33.8 ounces.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah you're right and I forgot that. There are some sweet teas out there that might work for you which WaterburyBob hinted at.

I don't recall the brand, but seem to recall something LaCroix-esque that had caffeine, but probably much less than a Mt Dew.

Edit: HEB store brand unsweetened sparkling water with caffeine.
$4 for an 8pk
55mg caffeine per 12oz can

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=...g%20water%20caffeine

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bubly has a caffeinated version called Bubly bounce. It’s got 35mg of caffeine in it instead of the 54mg of Diet Mt Dew so you’d have to drink 3 to match your normal caffeine intake but it’s way better for you.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Zevia is addictive as you know what. I didn't know there's a "Mountain Zevia" and it's obviously more expensive but you might just have one a day and reward yourself later in the day. Or, you might consider cutting it with a mineral water a little to make it last longer.

This so reminds me of my days at Wendy's when we pretty much had unlimited MD.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I had a great idea to get liquid caffeine and add it to seltzer. FDA banned it a while back.

Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to caffeinated sparkling water. Never tried any of them, I stick to Bubly and Spindrift. Hope you find something in here:

https://coffeeaffection.com/to...rkling-water-brands/

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Real Sugar Mt. Dew, you get calories unfortunately, but no artificial sweeteners.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t like regular coffee. I do like iced lattes which are of course artificial sweetened/flavored.

Maybe make your own Iced Coffee and you can control what else goes into it ?

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was addicted to Mt. Dew for over 40 years. I always called it liquid crack. And i do mean addicted. I felt like I couldn't function without it. But as I got older and became more interested in health related topics, I learned more about soda and in particular Mt. Dew. It's some nasty unhealthy shit. So I did manage to kick the habit. Went "cold turkey." I did switch to a V8 product with a modest about of caffine (less than s cup of coffee.) But it's enough to prevent any caffine withdrawal. The rest of the V8 ingredient list is very healthy. Good luck. I did feel better after I stopped drinking it.

Posts: 1057 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zevia soda is what you are looking for. They have flavors that closely match any popular flavor you are looking to replace. Mtn Zevia, their take on Mountain Dew.

I like Zevia, because it is all natural. Nothing you can’t pronounce and no food coloring. Main ingredients: Carbonated Water, Stevia Leaf Extract, Natural Flavors, Caffeine, Citric Acid

I would suggest find a higher end grocery store, they usually have larger flavor selections, and buy 1 can of each flavor. Try them and pick the ones you like. No worries about sucking down high fructose corn syrup, or artificial sweeteners.

I think you will be happy with this soda. What do you have to lose.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I was a huge Mt Dew drinker. I switched to diet Dew when I passed 200 lbs.
Well that backfired... When I hit 230 I switched back to regular Dew. What they say about diet chemicals increasing your appetite seems true to me.

When I retired I almost completely dropped the Dew and replaced it with more sweet tea, GREEN Sweet tea, slightly better for you then black tea, home made, so I can control the amount of sugar and am in the process of reducing it gradually. I'm back down to about 215... looking for about 205.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I was a huge Mt Dew drinker. I switched to diet Dew when I passed 200 lbs.
Well that backfired... When I hit 230 I switched back to regular Dew. What they say about diet chemicals increasing your appetite seems true to me.

When I retired I almost completely dropped the Dew and replaced it with more sweet tea, GREEN Sweet tea, slightly better for you then black tea, home made, so I can control the amount of sugar and am in the process of reducing it gradually. I'm back down to about 215... looking for about 205.

You should try monk fruit extract to replace sugar. I dropped all sugar and anything with high fructose corn syrup. I use Lakanto monk fruit extract drops. this is the beat thing possible to replace sugar in your coffee, tea, whatever you usually sweetened with sugar. I drink iced tea and use this to sweeten. Since cutting out all sugar and corn syrup sweetened drinks have dropped over 70lbs. Along with giving up carbs.

Give it a try and think you will agree it tastes just like sugar.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Zevia isn't bad, but I didn't care for the Stevia taste

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post