SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do hyphenated names work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do hyphenated names work Login/Join 
posted
Serious question. I have been wondering for some time how hyphenated names work over a couple of generations.

For example when a child such as Sam Bankman-Fried has a hyphenated name from father and mother, marries someone with a hyphenated name lets say Mary Jones-Smith. Does Mary become Mary Bankman-Fried-Jones-Smith? Do their kids take on Rugrat Bankman-Fried-Jones-Smith? If so what then happens when they get married?

EDIT

A lot of comments but no-one seems to have addressed my real question and that is what happens in generation two or three when everybody already has hyphenated names from generation 1 and they want to have kids or get married do the hyphens keep adding on?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter01,

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I thought about that years ago.

My solution was simple. I won't get involved with a hyphenated woman or one who wants to be hyphenated after marriage.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
In Mexico they use mom and dad’s names but without the hyphen. When a woman gets married she drops mom’s name and add husband’s name at the end. Or at least that’s how it used to work.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29707 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
They make it up as they go.

But in any case, a child under no circumstances (except perhaps in some South American cultures) should ever have a hyphenated name. He or she gets the father's name. Period.

This Bankman-Fried loser started out life wrong from the get go.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I won't get involved with a hyphenated woman or one who wants to be hyphenated after marriage.

This.

It’s just like chicks with rainbow hair or fishing tackle in their face…just like nature…bright colors are meant to tell us “danger” stay away

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
I won't get involved with a hyphenated woman or one who wants to be hyphenated after marriage.

This.

Fishing tackle in their face…just like nature…bright colors are meant to tell us “danger” stay away

Big Grin Big Grin Good way to put it.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They are pretty traditonal in the Hispanic world IIRC much like how patronymic and matronymic names were/are in Iceland and Scandinavia but I suspect a lot of them are done as a virtue signal amongst the Left for whatever reason.

I worked with a hardcore lib that flat-out REFUSED to take her husband's name after she got married. "He doesn't own me!" she would say. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33817 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of patronymically named. My middle name is my dad's first (and only) name. In Russia my middle name would end in -ovich, but we're not Russian.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
When a feminist things she's special because she keeps her surname just remind her that it's her FATHER'S last name.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Russia my middle name would end in -ovich

If you were female your middle name would end in "ovna".

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4268 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
IMO They don’t. We are nominally a patrilineal society and should stay that way with very limited exceptions. Hyphenated last names are cumbersome and unnecessary.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

This.

It’s just like chicks with rainbow hair or fishing tackle in their face…just like nature…bright colors are meant to tell us “danger” stay away

She put that shit on you like you aint never had and you'd change your last name LMAO. The both of Yas.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I asked this question recently to some of the Hispanic people in our organization. They explained a mother and father relationship in their name. For instance, Juan's mother's last name was Perez. His Dad's last name was Jiminez. So Juan's name could be Juan (middle name) Perez Jiminez.

In an area where I worked, we were given names of people allowed on premises. When folks got to the gate, we had Juan Julio Perez Jiminez Jorge when their listed name was Juan Perez........Sorry, no entry allowed!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
Hyphenated last names are cumbersome and unnecessary.

It was too late by the time my wife figured that out.

Ends up too many letters, doesn't fit on everything, like credit cards. Also when doing airplane reservations they don't always figure out we are together.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Indian woman I work with has her own last name because her husband literally did not have a last name. Their children have her last name. All kinds of variations depending on your country of origin. I guess he has chosen one for legal purposes in the U.S.

My grandfather’s first and middle name on his birth certificate was just initials “D.B.” and that is what he was called. At one time initial names were fairly common. In WWII the army made guys with initial names choose or make up first and middle names if all they had were initials.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No normal, non-beta man would allow his child to have a hyphenated name. It’s not surprising that SBF has a leftist college professor father and mother. I also hate spelling out and saying their extra long names.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5163 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't care really? I don't care if they pick guys/girls; hyphen/space; what order they appear; what they chose to call their children; or if they eat name brand or store brand Corn Flakes.

It affects my life zero. I just hope they are happy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A couple I know decided to really change it up when they got married. Both had been married before, and neither wanted a link to the past so they BOTH changed their last names… to a word that has meaning to them but has probably never been used as a last name.

It works for them…

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

She put that shit on you like you aint never had and you'd change your last name LMAO. The both of Yas.

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post