SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA - AVG Internet Security Large Price Increase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA - AVG Internet Security Large Price Increase Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
They lost their minds and tripled ($32.xx to $96.xx) their annual fee for their Mac Internet Security. I have a subscription so they autobilled me.

On a positive note, they made it easy to request a refund and I was refunded within 6 minutes.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I use them and just let it expire and they will come back with a lower offer.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had a subscription for 3 years and their price has always been consistent. This tripling came out of the blue.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23306 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You don’t need to be paying for antivirus software on a Mac anyway, a free version or what the Mac OS has built in is really good enough.

Posts: 33845 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ If I like the free version, I always buy the software. It gets rid of the ads, and it opens up more features which often it eliminates having to use multiple free software (there are gaps and overlaps with multiple).

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You don’t need to be paying for antivirus software on a Mac anyway, a free version or what the Mac OS has built in is really good enough.

Agree.
Even the Windows 10 anti-virus is as good or better than any aftermarket consumer versions, and they don't have all the other negative effects third party anti-virus issues.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Much of what you are paying for in a commercial AV is dictionary updates. ClamAV and other FOSS are perfectly adequate as long as the definitions are current. None will protect against a true zero-day (or self-inflicted infection).

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post