SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Friendy reminder: This is why we don't get in front of a revolver cylinder. (Graphic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friendy reminder: This is why we don't get in front of a revolver cylinder. (Graphic) Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
IIRC, when I was in the service, we were to keep the gun on target if a misfire or hangfire occurred for ONE minute, before clearing the round from the chamber (unless it was combat and then it was -F it! clear it)

seemed crazy amount of time until I see this kinda thing...

glad he is going to be OK

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
IIRC, when I was in the service, we were to keep the gun on target if a misfire or hangfire occurred for ONE minute, before clearing the round from the chamber (unless it was combat and then it was -F it! clear it)

seemed crazy amount of time until I see this kinda thing...

glad he is going to be OK

I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse. But 30 seconds? Wow! I've never had a hang fire, but now I'll know to wait an extra long time.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Glad to see all’s well, your kids injuries scare the hell out of you.

I started by shooting muzzleloading rifles. Hang fires were so common it’s second nature now to just relax if the gun doesn’t fire.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
If any of you haven't seen that old Mythbusters episode of what damage a revolver cylinder gap can do to your hand you need to watch it. That is some scary stuff.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How's he doing today, darthfuster?

Ready for another round? Of pizza, shooting?

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I've heard some rookies that shoot semi's try to hold them thumb beside the cylinder. Low calibers they survive with burns. 357 and above they lose meat and blood.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
How's he doing today, darthfuster?

Ready for another round? Of pizza, shooting?

He's fine. His girlfriend spend the evening with him making sure he was comfortable. lol. They built a fire and I could tell it was time for me to make myself scarce. Today he is slightly favoring the finger. There was bachelor pizza for breakfast.

Interestingly, had some difficulty servicing the gun. It is an S&W 686-4 Silhouette gun. Seems the round showed pressure signs. The primer was bulged enough that I couldn't swing the cylinder out until I fiddled with it enough to loosen something. I haven't put calipers on the casing, but it looks bulged at the base too. Who knows what went wrong with that round...

DF #3 is undaunted. He is already planning the next trip out. I am proud of him for maintaining good safety discipline. The hangfire was a complete surprise. Had he not maintained proper discipline, someone could have been shot. His injury is the result of forgetting about the gap. It could easily have happened to me or anyone looking to extract a dud. Of course I try to wear gloves when I shoot, but I'm not convinced they would have saved me completely. Seems like a hang fire round in any revolver is potentially a trip to the ER.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29708 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
He's fine. His girlfriend spend the evening with him making sure he was comfortable.

I heard a fast fixer upper was to soak it in cider...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know he was/is comfortable, darthfuster.

Btw, upon KMitch200's suggestion...Ballistol. Not kidding. Great antiseptic and promotes tissue regeneration.

Really.

ETA: It might leave scarring. Use it in a pinch. Wrap the wound in a clean cloth, tape down and keep it wrapped for a couple of days. Not kidding.

However, a scar can always bring him closer to his girlfriend. Great excuse---"Sweetheart, look at that!" Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
OWWWWWEEEEE!

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
If any of you haven't seen that old Mythbusters episode of what damage a revolver cylinder gap can do to your hand you need to watch it. That is some scary stuff.

I can't remember if they used a .460 S&W Magnum or .500 S&W Magnum, but those are particularly dangerous revolvers, requiring careful attention to avoid losing a hand.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I put a towel under my .460 and MAN does it just EXPLODE!!! Fingers beware!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if he had ignored the hangfire and simply pulled the trigger to fire the next round? What would happen (how much damage would result) if the hangfire fired NOT in line with the barrel?

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
What if he had ignored the hangfire and simply pulled the trigger to fire the next round? What would happen (how much damage would result) if the hangfire fired NOT in line with the barrel?

Yeah, think about that. Would have been so much worse. The more I think about it, the more the combo of hang fire and revolver is a no bueno scenario. I tried opening the cylinder crane such that my fingers did not breech the plane of the gap. It is difficult to do. What if the hang fire discharges while the cylinder is out and one is naturally looking down at the back of it? What if it discharges while ejecting the round with the plunger? Look at where your hand/finger naturally go? No bueno....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29708 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
rh, I thought I remembered a 357 but it was a few years ago and I could be wrong. He made a hand out of chicken bones complete with skin and everything. I think it took a couple of fingers off or worse.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
rh, I thought I remembered a 357 but it was a few years ago and I could be wrong. He made a hand out of chicken bones complete with skin and everything. I think it took a couple of fingers off or worse.

I was watching TV in SD, but I'm pretty sure that Mythbusters used a S&W Model 460V Revolver . (I own one and recognized it.) Their findings were "Holding a hunting revolver improperly can cause a person's fingers to be blown off by the escaping gases emitted when the bullets are fired. CONFIRMED (as seen in Thermite vs. Ice)" http://www.discovery.com/tv-sh...yth-results/weapons/

I think the Mythbusters episodes are on Hulu, for those who didn't see the episode.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rh,

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I read an article in Petersen's Handguns (as it was known then) in the 1990s about firing revolvers through pockets. The most interesting part was that the shot blew three holes in the pockets. Obviously one was where the bullet exited, but there was also a long rip or tear on either side of the bullet hole, not just through the pocket itself, but the entire coat, from the cylinder blast.

Posts: 27966 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post