SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is sunscreen the new margarine? Sunlight but not vitamin D supplements may prevent against high blood pressure, cancer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is sunscreen the new margarine? Sunlight but not vitamin D supplements may prevent against high blood pressure, cancer Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
quote:
These are dark days for supplements. Although they are a $30-plus billion market in the United States alone, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium, beta-carotene, glucosamine, chondroitin, and fish oil have now flopped in study after study.

If there was one supplement that seemed sure to survive the rigorous tests, it was vitamin D. People with low levels of vitamin D in their blood have significantly higher rates of virtually every disease and disorder you can think of: cancer, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, heart attack, stroke, depression, cognitive impairment, autoimmune conditions, and more. The vitamin is required for calcium absorption and is thus essential for bone health, but as evidence mounted that lower levels of vitamin D were associated with so many diseases, health experts began suspecting that it was involved in many other biological processes as well.

And they believed that most of us weren’t getting enough of it. This made sense. Vitamin D is a hormone manufactured by the skin with the help of sunlight. It’s difficult to obtain in sufficient quantities through diet. When our ancestors lived outdoors in tropical regions and ran around half naked, this wasn’t a problem. We produced all the vitamin D we needed from the sun.

But today most of us have indoor jobs, and when we do go outside, we’ve been taught to protect ourselves from dangerous UV rays, which can cause skin cancer. Sunscreen also blocks our skin from making vitamin D, but that’s OK, says the American Academy of Dermatology, which takes a zero-tolerance stance on sun exposure: “You need to protect your skin from the sun every day, even when it’s cloudy,” it advises on its website. Better to slather on sunblock, we’ve all been told, and compensate with vitamin D pills.

Yet vitamin D supplementation has failed spectacularly in clinical trials. Five years ago, researchers were already warning that it showed zero benefit, and the evidence has only grown stronger. In November, one of the largest and most rigorous trials of the vitamin ever conducted—in which 25,871 participants received high doses for five years—found no impact on cancer, heart disease, or stroke.

How did we get it so wrong? How could people with low vitamin D levels clearly suffer higher rates of so many diseases and yet not be helped by supplementation?

As it turns out, a rogue band of researchers has had an explanation all along. And if they’re right, it means that once again we have been epically misled.

These rebels argue that what made the people with high vitamin D levels so healthy was not the vitamin itself. That was just a marker. Their vitamin D levels were high because they were getting plenty of exposure to the thing that was really responsible for their good health—that big orange ball shining down from above.

One of the leaders of this rebellion is a mild-mannered dermatologist at the University of Edinburgh named Richard Weller. For years, Weller swallowed the party line about the destructive nature of the sun’s rays. “I’m not by nature a rebel,” he insisted when I called him up this fall. “I was always the good boy that toed the line at school. This pathway is one which came from following the data rather than a desire to overturn apple carts.”

Weller’s doubts began around 2010, when he was researching nitric oxide, a molecule produced in the body that dilates blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. He discovered a previously unknown biological pathway by which the skin uses sunlight to make nitric oxide.

It was already well established that rates of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and overall mortality all rise the farther you get from the sunny equator, and they all rise in the darker months. Weller put two and two together and had what he calls his “eureka moment”: Could exposing skin to sunlight lower blood pressure?

Sure enough, when he exposed volunteers to the equivalent of 30 minutes of summer sunlight without sunscreen, their nitric oxide levels went up and their blood pressure went down. Because of its connection to heart disease and strokes, blood pressure is the leading cause of premature death and disease in the world, and the reduction was of a magnitude large enough to prevent millions of deaths on a global level.

Wouldn’t all those rays also raise rates of skin cancer? Yes, but skin cancer kills surprisingly few people: less than 3 per 100,000 in the U.S. each year. For every person who dies of skin cancer, more than 100 die from cardiovascular diseases.

Link

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I remember being roundly admonished here a few years back by suggesting that the use of sunscreen is entirely overhyped.

As I recall, the topic of the thread had to do with slathering your children up with sunscreen prior to sending them outdoors to prevent skin cancer. The consensus of the respondents was that it was akin to child abuse to not do so.

It wasn't then, and it isn't now.

Allowing the sun to get to your skin is a good thing, not a death sentence, and certainly not child abuse.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wow......what great news. We just got back from a 2 mile walk on the beach in full sun. I’ve never used sunscreen in my life.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that melanoma can be very serious, but it seems like another overblown threat we're supposed to hide from.

I have a co-worker that goes to the dermatologist every six months for a check. There is a magic light, high power magnification and perhaps some incantations involved. EVERY DANG TIME she ends up getting a couple of pre-pre-pre-cancerous lesions removed.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
A very interesting study, doc. Thanks for posting.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I was an ocean lifeguard for 20 years. Rarely if ever used sunscreen. I think the shit actually cause skin cancer.

We have guys who’ve been guards for 40 years and more and never used it either. They’re just fine.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like many things about sunscreen and sun exposure are the opposite what what we had pushed down our throat in school.

Posts: 2371 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't purposely expose myself to sunlight, but neither do I avoid it.

As to whether vitamin D supplementation is helpful or not: My guess is the truth lies somewhere between the extremes. That it is neither as effective as once believed, nor thoroughly ineffective.

How many things can we cite that once were good, then bad, then good again, then...?

My impression is that my mood and sleep are marginally improved with vitamin D supplementation. As for any other benefits: I cannot say. Those are enough for me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am not a sunbather, and don't do a lot outdoors. However, when walking on tours I don't typically employ any sunscreen. I am light-skinned (with hazel eyes) and subject to sunburn, but lately I've not been especially bothered by it. My doctor has me taking 5000 units of D3 every day.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Having been severely sunburned a couple of times,I mean blisters that can be slid around without popping, I tend to put shields up when in doubt.

But I get what the OP is saying, and agree that more sun exposure is probably good advice for most folks.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Warning: gonna get a tad religious, but it is related. Feel free to skip the rest of this post.

About 6 years ago I realized that if I believed that as a people group we were moving farther away from the “natural” way things are.... and the logical extension of that, if one believes in a Creator, is we are moving away from the Creator’s design. So, in my household, we started trying to take some of the ground back. From the food we eat (including how it is prepared and stored to the products that go on our body (soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen).

We aren’t fanatical, but if we have a relatively easy option for a product or method that is “closer to how God crested”, we will take it. For instance, baked potatoes are actually baked in hot air or boiled, not microwaved. For instance, we prefer a metal or glass container over plastic. For instance, my body will adapt to sunlight vs sun screen.

Of course, there are always extremes, and I believe God gave us the intelligence to create ways of dealing with those.

But as a general rule, natural over synthetic. Real sunlight, not vitamin D pills, and no sunscreen needed.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And next year it will be bad again....

You can produce a study to show damn near anything you want.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was younger I was in the military and when I got out, I had numerous jobs that I would perform outside. Got lots of sun. Then I started working with computers and I stayed inside the office. A few years after I started working inside jobs, I was diagnosed with psoriasis, which most some studies attribute to low vitamin D. Being a Filipino and very dark skinned, my skin has a lot of Melanin so from what I understand it takes my body longer to convert sunlight to vitamin D, so I need to stay out longer. My dermatologist told me to get as much sun as possible. I asked him if he can prescribe me a CONVERTIBLE so I can get as much sun as possible. He just laughed. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3072 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
So sunlight is necessary and perfectly fine in moderation. AND, your body will warn you with a sunburn when you’ve overdone it. Imagine that. Almost seems like common sense.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
And next year it will be bad again....

You can produce a study to show damn near anything you want.

Well of course.

Seriously, if anyone now thinks it'd be a great idea to lie out in the blazing Florida summer sun for hours on end with nothing for protection but a sock over his junk...well, just try not to fall asleep.

quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
So sunlight is necessary and perfectly fine in moderation. AND, your body will warn you with a sunburn when you’ve overdone it. Imagine that. Almost seems like common sense.

Bingo.

I'll be keeping my sunscreen for those three plus hour bike rides in the summer at over 9,000 feet elevation, thank you very much.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yet vitamin D supplementation has failed spectacularly in clinical trials. Five years ago, researchers were already warning that it showed zero benefit, and the evidence has only grown stronger. In November, one of the largest and most rigorous trials of the vitamin ever conducted—in which 25,871 participants received high doses for five years—found no impact on cancer, heart disease, or stroke.

This is the money line in my original post. Studies that were not randomized, controlled trials had suggested that higher levels of vitamin D were associated with lower risk of cancer and heart disease. Just as non-randomized studies had suggested that antioxidants would be good for the heart, and that estrogen would protect women against heart disease.
It was not until the gold standard-- randomized clinical trials were done that these "associations" were proven--as far as anything in medicine can be proven--not to point to actual causation.
Usually that's because of some other, previously unrecognized factor associated with both improved health and a higher level of the drug/supplement/blood level in question.
Don't expect that things will "change back next year". The gold standard study showed no benefit from vitamin D supplements; unless a still larger study (which now would probably never be done) shows benefits, or someone shows that this study was flawed, then the truth is now out there.

Yes sunshine, yes in moderation.
And the sunscreen police should back off.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Warning: gonna get a tad religious, but it is related. Feel free to skip the rest of this post.

About 6 years ago I realized that if I believed that as a people group we were moving farther away from the “natural” way things are.... and the logical extension of that, if one believes in a Creator, is we are moving away from the Creator’s design. So, in my household, we started trying to take some of the ground back. From the food we eat (including how it is prepared and stored to the products that go on our body (soaps, shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen).

We aren’t fanatical, but if we have a relatively easy option for a product or method that is “closer to how God crested”, we will take it. For instance, baked potatoes are actually baked in hot air or boiled, not microwaved. For instance, we prefer a metal or glass container over plastic. For instance, my body will adapt to sunlight vs sun screen.

Of course, there are always extremes, and I believe God gave us the intelligence to create ways of dealing with those.

But as a general rule, natural over synthetic. Real sunlight, not vitamin D pills, and no sunscreen needed.

Kudos!! Our beliefs exactly, he delivers what we need.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My Dr told me older ppl cannot get enough through sun exposure. The body will not react as it did when younger. Thus, supplements.
https://maximumd3.com
He said this is the only one known to him that truly is absorbed and not just passed through.

Me ... I dont freakin know ...

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I was an ocean lifeguard for 20 years. Rarely if ever used sunscreen. I think the shit actually cause skin cancer.

We have guys who’ve been guards for 40 years and more and never used it either. They’re just fine.

That's VERY intriguing. There's no substitution for experience. Fascinating.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post