SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ron Chernow's "Grant" on History Channel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron Chernow's "Grant" on History Channel Login/Join 
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted
History channel's adaptation of Ron Chernow's "Grant" will be shown starting on Memorial Day at 9 pm eastern.

quote:
"Grant" tells the unbelievable and quintessentially American story of a humble man who overcomes incredible obstacles, rises to the highest ranks of power and saves the nation not once, but twice. With a seamless blend of dramatic scenes, expert commentary and beautifully enhanced archival imagery, this three-part series uncovers the true legacy of the American hero who led our nation during its greatest test, the Civil War and Reconstruction.

History Channel Link
IMDB Link

Trailer

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
OK, with the disclaimer that I find Grant, Sherman and Lincoln to be a fascinating triumvirate - Grant was ANYTHING but humble... And, I'm not sure, but if they are referring to his presidency as when he "save the nation"... They've clearly never read a history of his presidency...

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Watched the History Channel three-day event “Washington.” If Grant proves anywhere as informative it will be extremely good. Thanks for the reminder.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
...saves the nation not once, but twice....
I could easily argue at least once, while CinC - his strategy lead to the fall of Atlanta in July 1864, which not only doomed the Confederacy, it kept McClellan out out of the White House in the next election, so his Copperheads could not sue for peace.

I'm interested in the 'twice' bit though. Might be an interesting watch.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
He had one of the most scandal plagued presidencies ever.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had one of the most scandal plagued presidencies ever.

I think that was due more to a trusting, honest nature and loyalty to those he considered his friends than to deviousness on his part.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
And he was a raging alcoholic, who, regularly, wasn’t fit to command, by his own admission. By the time he was president, he was pretty much soused constantly.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’ve read Chernow’s biography of Grant. While unlikely that Lin-Manuel Miranda will make a rollicking musical of it, the book is solid, objective, but describes Grant as having done the best he could under extremely difficult circumstances—I’m talking his post-Civil War presidency.
If done well, the History Channel show will be worth watching. And if it leads to a lot of people reappraising the Grant presidency (and the man), that would be very good IMO.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read Chernows fantastic biography of John D Rockerfeller. Best Bio I've ever read. So I went out and got Hamilton -this was long before the musical. Could not read it, difficult and boring.

Later, when the guy did the screenplay, I recognized that he was as stocked on Hamilton as I was about Rockerfeller. Hopefully that Grant book is equally good, I'll look for it.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I’ve read Chernow’s biography of Grant. While unlikely that Lin-Manuel Miranda will make a rollicking musical of it, the book is solid, objective, but describes Grant as having done the best he could under extremely difficult circumstances—I’m talking his post-Civil War presidency.
If done well, the History Channel show will be worth watching. And if it leads to a lot of people reappraising the Grant presidency (and the man), that would be very good IMO.

I listened to the audiobook and I agree with your post, the nepotism, poor business decisions, are not glossed over. I also believe he lead the nation through reconstruction and post civil war healing better than expectations.

The battle of the wilderness was probably his worst defeat but he learned from it and high casualties did weigh on him.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great book by Ron Chernow whether you read it or listen to it. I did the Audible thing ...

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post