SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many friends do you have?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many friends do you have? Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of close friends that I've known for decades that I meet at a local bar & grill on Fridays for breakfast.They are in my age group and retired like myself. Then there is a group that I've known for around 15-20 years that are the bikers and shooters that get together most Sundays for breakfast. Half of those guys are around my age and retired.

Last year when I was fighting cancer and going through hell and back, 5 of those mentioned above would help me get to my appointments (my wife no longer drives) and would show up at the hospital on a regular basis after my surgery. They were the ones that always asked what they could do to help. Those are my true friends plus my wife of 37 years this year and my stepson. All the others are still friends but just in a different tier and I hold nothing against them. People handle adversity differently and I except that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Acquaintances, I have many.

Friends? One. Two if you count his wife.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Two, and one of them is a first cousin.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Friends?

Exactly 5.
And one will be gone soon.
I don't count Raingirl, she is my soul and my purpose.

I have one from high school.
I consider friends people you can confide in and know it will stay confidential.

That's a mighty small group. And one of them is on this forum.

Now virtually, you are all family, but there is an air of anonymity to this here forum.
Like if you saw me on another website, you wouldn't know it was me.

Ya know?
Smile

Posts: 5059 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2. Brothers I've known since grade school. Both now have families, so I don't see them as often as I used to. Know their kids, went to their weddings. Their wives still allow me in their houses (very generous of them if u knew me).

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2783 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i got 2-3 very close friends and about that good friends and that's about it.

Posts: 1184 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

I have one from high school.
I consider friends people you can confide in and know it will stay confidential.

Smile

That right there is the best one-line description of a friend that I've seen. It's also why I'm down to one. Been stabbed in the back too many times.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15491 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in Chicago, my pastor's son's best friend gave him one of his kidneys to save his life. Wow I was amazed.. that's the kind of friend that I wouldn't never break with.

So for that kind of friend - I got none, except my ex-wife who I am still close with.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I have about half as many as I had before November 2016.
Have to be very careful these days; don't want to lose long-time friends for political reasons, because those old memories together can't be replaced--when our kids were little, when we were going to Med school.
I have renewed a friendship with an old Peace Corps buddy from West Africa, now that he has become a conservative or libertarian mostly. Unfortunately his wife hasn't made the jump.
Then there is my best friend from 50 years ago when we studied together in Berlin, and traveled for two months through SE and E Europe. His wife is not a nice person, and when after 9/11/01 she sent me something by Michael Moore and I objected, she cut me off. Friend doesn't do his own e-mail, the idiot, so I spoke to him two weeks or so ago for the first time since 9/11. He doesn't want me to come visit him in South Africa because it would cause domestic warfare. Sigh.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have a bucnh of friends that I have lost touch with that I would call "inactive" friends.

Active friends are much fewer in number. My wife being number 1. I have one from high school. His spouse and another couple make 3 good adult friends. I have maybe 2 coworkers that come close to the definition.

My circle is pretty small but I would not trade quality for quantity.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I had a circle of friends of about 3 or 4 in college. Haven't been in touch with them for years.

Jesus Christ is my friend everywhere. My wife, of course, is my only friend on earth.

And, of course, a bunch on SF here I would consider friends. Cool

Pretty much this for me as well.

I can think of maybe one person who I would truly call a friend. Otherwise, I'd sooner (and more easily) rely on you all in time of need.

-Rob

I think that about covers it for me, as well.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
One fishing buddy who I met about 6 months ago and we go out 4-5 times a week, bank fishing, no boat. He's a Dem and we don't discuss politics.

Otherwise, no actual friends. Still in semi-contact with 2-3 buddies from my youth 40 years ago.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Only have 2 that I can really call friend. One is my son's godfather, second one is my high school batch mate's husband. The rest are just acquaintances.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
A handful, not many.

I have 3 friends from highschool I keep in regular contact, none would I ever count on in a time of need. Any of these we can go a year or three with out seeing each and it's like old times.

I have one that I could call anytime for anything and same for him. I've had to buy his wife's heart medicine when they fell on hard times, he's helped me with the worsts of tasks. If I called him and told him I needed help in Alaska, he'd pick up the phone and start pricing out tickets.

I have a few fraternity brothers from college that we talk every few years. I don't do facebook or email correspondence even though I have both.

So I guess the answer is one true friend, 4-5 that are a half step or one step from that, and the rest are acquaintances.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two or three where I live that I would call class three friends, I don't mean any disrespect but we just haven't had that many shared experiences.
I have three or four from college that I would call class two friends. We can start up a conversation from two years ago like it was yesterday. We meet at least once a year and pretty soon all the old nicknames are being used, special bunch of people.

I thought I had some class one friends contained in the above group. Class one being the "bury the body" type of friends. Turns out that's not the case, I'm glad I found out before it really mattered.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Just you guys... Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A handful fall into the acquaintance category. Four are quite close, with two being very close and one seeing me through a major "calamity". My family is all quite close, last but not least is my wifey.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7067 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several business acquaintances but only 2 friends. Less presents to buy during holidays.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Depends on the definition of friend...

"Hide a body" friend? 4.

"Call them for good advice?" 20.

"Call for a beer?" Maybe 50.

Facebook? 0.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
At 70++ I got more dead friends and family than live ones

Amen to that as the same situation here. I count two as friends and not acquaintances these days.

I can remember at least 30 years ago when I was unfortunately able to say that I was the only one alive from the "old gang" I grew up with thanks to Viet Nam and car accidents among other things.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post