SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Do Leather Work As A Hobby?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Do Leather Work As A Hobby? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I took a few classes on leatherwork and think I'll pick it up as a new hobby.

I've been in Tandy Leather, wow it's not a cheap hobby, but then I've never had a cheap hobby.

One of my reasons is to be able to make personal gifts, as well as just learning something new.

Not counting our SF members who make a living making Leather items, does anyone do it for a hobby? Any advice, comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do - started years ago as a 'cheaper' way to get gear. You don't need a ton of tools and I haven't purchased a side in a while, but for the cost of one good holster you can usually get a side of leather.

Learning how to properly 'case' the leather (so it can be formed/worked) was the steepest part of the learning curve for me. Along with that was burnishing the edges. Now that's second nature and no idea why it took me as long as it did to figure that out.

A good pair of shears is worth its weight in gold! So is a good awl/awl blade. Those that tandy carries are junk. I ordered a hand forged one from somewhere online and it is night and it makes a HUGE difference. I just use a regular utility knife for most of my cutting. If you want to make belts/straps - get a strap cutter.

Good luck!

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I did it for about 10 years in the late 80's and early 90's. I did it for the reasons you mentioned and am glad I did. I still have all my tools and if something comes up I need, I can make it.
If you find the right niche, you can recoup some, if not all, of the money you spend on tools and supplies.

I purchased a "Biker's Wallet" kit and starting showing it around when it was finished and found a lot of people wanted one. I already had the pattern from the kit so all I had to buy was things like lacing, snaps and of course, the chain. Things were a lot cheaper back then but I was still making about $20 per wallet.

If you're going to be dealing with Tandy you will notice 3 different prices on everything. I don't know about the gold but elite prices include first responders and veterans.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've tinkered with this, after hanging around with one of our local saddlemakers. Tandy is definitely not the best place to shop. Weaver Leather is a good source, and where my friend gets most of her tools/supplies. Get their catalog and browse it. Unless you can qualify as a dealer, though, their prices are a bit high. I've seen their dealer prices and Karen has ordered a few tools from them for me, at dealer price. Some of their quality tools can be found elsewhere (Amazon, for example) at lower prices. Things like hole punches. C. S. Osborne makes high quality leather tools (and other types of tools as well). I have a set of their hole punches. Get their part number and then shop for prices using Google. Gingher makes quality scissors of every type, including leather shears.

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll agree Tandy is high and what little I've learned it seems to me that their leather is not the best.

I've learned of Springfield Leather SpringfieldLeather they seem to be really good.

There's just not much competition to bring prices down.

However I'm really enjoying this. My teacher is an 87 year old woman, sharp as a tack and blessed with great health, coordination, eyesight, just a total delight to be around. She's been doing leather work for over 50 years.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I used to repair and rebuild my goalie pads when I played hockey.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Watch ebay for vintage leather tools. Lots of the older stuff is better than what’s available new today.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got into it a bit, made several rifle slings from belt blanks that do not have any metal hardware to scratch stocks. I tanned a few deer hides, with and without hair and made a possibles pouch to go with my black powder stuff. Haven’t done it for a while.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ Yes, good reminder, I need to make a possibles bag and other accessories for my black powder.

When I get some experience and skill I want to make a holster and belt for my Vaquero 45LC. That thing has turned into my absolute favorite firearm.

posted Hide Post
Check out S-T Leather in St. Louis. Many years ago when I worked in leather in a popular local shop, we got some of our leather and tools there. They are still in business. I recently bought a few Osborne arch punches there. Seemed competitive.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been doing it for a while. I started because kydex holsters were a PITA to make and could easily be bought for the same investment. I also prefer the way leather wears. Comparatively I find leather far easier to work and I like the results.

I have only really dealt with Tandy so no great wisdom there. I'd say start with a project in mind and get what you need for that. The rest will come. I started doing holsters and generally use the following which I think are good starter tools.

5-6 oz leather
Artificial Sinew
Hook/curved needles
Rotary hole punch
EMT shears (watch the patern they make, you might have to trim it a bit)
Single hole punch
Single and pitchfork style manual punches
Fiebings dye
Its not sexy but I use bladetech IWB rubber straps for my holster straps. I dont like manually making straps for some reason.

That should get you off the ground making holsters or atleast is what I use.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leather work is a great hobby. With basic amount of tools and a little practice, you can make small things like sheaths, holsters, book covers, etc. in no time.

Look up books by Al Stohlman - my favorite.

Posts: 516 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post

My Sheriff, Undersheriff and I all have or are retiring this year and we were presented with our duty pistols engraved with names, dates and badges. I made this holster for mine and will make ones for them as well.

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post