SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Helping Para (Crowdfunding)
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helping Para (Crowdfunding) Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Got in near the end. Been away from the forum for a while - glad I spotted this!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3068 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Really, guys, this is fantastic. I am unable to adequately express my gratitude and the relief this has brought to me. You said you wanted to help and to give back. You have done so, more than you can know.

A few things- though I said it earlier in this thread, it's not difficult for it to get lost in these 35 pages- this fundraiser is for my personal needs. SIGforum is in no danger of being underfunded. Remember, I am not alone in this venture. lbj is my partner in all of this and always has been. As long as lbj is around, we will be fine. I get all the praise and thanks, but lbj does his part in maintaining the forum, so, put aside your concerns that one day, the forum might disappear. That's not going to happen.

Secondly, I find myself in a position of knowing the identity of some of you who have contributed so generously, but not all. As we go along from this point, I have my duties, part of which consist of issuing directives, admonishing some members at times, and the handing out of disciplinary action. Please put yourself in my position- the next wrist I slap- might that be someone who has given me some of their hard-earned money? How might I know whether or not it is someone who donated? This is a real consideration. I do not wish to demonstrate a lack of gratitude, but at the same time, I can't stop moderating this forum. So, here is what I'll pledge to all of you- I will do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, and I will strive to be fair at all times and give members the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to right their own ship, and I will be mindful that these are not just names on a screen; there are real people behind these usernames. The Golden Rule should and will be applied at all times. For the most part, I have already been trying to do this but frustration tends to overtake me at times and I let loose the tiger. I will take this opportunity to say that the overwhelming majority of members here are very well-behaved and respectful and this makes my job much easier. We've mellowed here in the forum over the years. I have mellowed, and so has the membership. It's no longer like it was in the early days, when this forum was raucous and akin to the Old West in certain respects. Those days are past. Those days were, I think, necessary to bring this forum to where it is today, with a higher median age of the members. All of you have learned, and I have learned along with you, how to navigate these waters in peace, and I like where we are, and I like having the old stories about the things that took place here in years past, but I am glad that those things are in the past.

I'd like to thank Rob Duncan- forum member Legal Beagle- who organized this fundraiser. Though Rob has been a member here for quite a few years, I really wasn't familiar with him, as he hadn't posted much in these past few years. When he came to me with the idea for a group ammo buy, I was very skeptical and initially thought to decline, but he is a smart and persuasive man and I took a chance on him and it turned out to be the right decision. So, after that, when he learned in a roundabout way of my present circumstances and suggested a fundraiser, I felt confident to allow it and, again, it has turned out well. I have thanked him more than once for all of this and each time, he has said that all there was to it to start the fundraiser was to go to the site and click a few buttons. The last time we had this exchange, I pointed out to him that he did much more than that, by offering help that was much-needed, and offered it at the critical moment it was needed, and there is no minimizing such a thing. The timing was perfect. So, once again, Rob, I express to you my endless gratitude for what you've done.

And that goes for all of you who have contributed. There's no way for me to repay you.

Lastly, some of you have expressed a desire to keep the fundraiser open a bit longer, and the way the fundraiser site works is that it allows the fundraiser to continue until the creator of the event ends it manually. I can't ask for any more than the tremendous thing that's already been done for me, but it appears some of you have reason to want to keep it open a bit longer, so it shall remain open for a few days longer.

Again, heart-felt thanks to you all.

Posts: 99620 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:...Please put yourself in my position- the next wrist I slap- might that be someone who has given me some of their hard-earned money? How might I know whether or not it is someone who donated? This is a real consideration. I do not wish to demonstrate a lack of gratitude, but at the same time, I can't stop moderating this forum...

It shows your character that you've given the above some thought but I'm inclined to think that those that gave (along with many, many others that wanted to but the current economy has prevented) did so knowing it was as a donation. Not as buying any privileges on the forum.

...There's no way for me to repay you...

Keep doing as you have done on this forum for far longer than I've been here. Cool

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, and of course members were not seeking to curry favor. I wouldn't think that for a second, but it really is something to think about- you donate to me and then I kick your ass. That's not something I would ever want to happen, but it may at some point come to pass.

W07VH5
posted Hide Post
You know what the worst part of all this is? I have to retire my joke when people complain and I say “you should demand a refund”. Big Grin

Posts: 43995 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I have my duties, part of which consist of issuing directives, admonishing some members at times, and the handing out of disciplinary action.

That is all anyone should ask of someone in your position.

I recently donated to the political campaign of my immediate boss, and would have done so anonymously if it had been possible because I didn’t want him to feel as if that donation had changed anything in my perception of our respective positions regardless of how professional I know him to be.

7/93

Posts: 46083 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes please, continue to whip asses for those who deserve it, as you have done in the past. And, I'm saying it as someone whose ass Para has kicked more than once. All deserved. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 23269 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Ditto! Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 9246 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
“There's no way for me to repay you.“

I think we all feel you’ve paid in advance.

Posts: 8339 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
posted Hide Post
This barely scratches the surface compared to your investment in time and funds over the years. It's the least we can do.

Posts: 11046 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad we can keep the fundraiser open a few more days and I'd like to see a way to help when we can. Nothing wrong with an annual event though.

Posts: 603 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that goes for all of you who have contributed. There's no way for me to repay you.

You prepaid in advance, and I think we got the better end of the deal. This place is a community and I'm in tears as I write this.

Recently was the birthday of my best friends son's deceased son. His funeral GFM was one of a handful ever allowed here, after initially being shot down you helped complete one of my proudest moments in life. Between wife and me, generous donations from our employers, our friends, and here, we changed a father's life. He didn't have the money to cremate his son, I told him I would cover it and find a way to make a real funeral happen. I did, partially with SF's help, it was everything they could have hoped for and a beautiful ceremony.

I don't know how I could repay you for that alone, let alone all the rest that comes with membership here.

Thank you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 19708 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Glad to help out Para, this is a great forum!

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Rob and the fundraiser will continue until Midnight MST on 6/5.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you, and of course members were not seeking to curry favor. I wouldn't think that for a second, but it really is something to think about- you donate to me and then I kick your ass. That's not something I would ever want to happen, but it may at some point come to pass.

I would actually be disappointed if I got out of line and you didn't release the drone strike. I've gotten out of line before......since I'm really a 12 yr old (or so Mrs DF says) I'm liable to go too far again. I know you'll do what must be done. That is what made participation in this goal authentic to me.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 28308 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
You prepaid in advance

because the other prepayment option was.. oh, wait, in the rears? (as one of my owners INSISTS on saying!!!)

quote:
Thank you, and of course members were not seeking to curry favor.

Oh shit. denied.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 11656 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t think I have ever seen you hand out an undeserved ass kicking. Meh, if any of us deserve an ass kicking then we deserve an ass kicking. It isn’t so hard to handle - man up, apologize, and try not to be stupid going forward.

Posts: 6318 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I spoke with Rob and the fundraiser will continue until Midnight MST on 6/5.

2022 or 2023? If it doesn't break any rules or cause any problems what's the harm in just leaving it for a while? Just a rhetorical questions. Clearly people smarter than me have been organizing this so no doubt they know best. Happy to see it worked out well.

Posts: 3473 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In for round 2! Thank you Para for all you've invested in us over the years. I wish you well. And, thank you lbj.

https://fundrazr.com/01zWgc?re...Wu0gK2CJH1kWu0gK2CJH

Posts: 763 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Let me also thank Para for all he’s done to keep this great forum free of advertising and other BS commonly found on other forums.

As far as making a contribution to curry favor the first thing that came into my mind was “WTF does this look like the Clinton Foundation?” Haha!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 5647 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post