SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Fall of Civilizations for those who have an interest in history
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Fall of Civilizations for those who have an interest in history Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
If you are fatigued by current events and politics, perhaps a voyage into history would be enjoyable. This podcast is devoted to the fall of civilizations. It is, however, much more. It is comprehensive historical events explained as no dry lecture could ever do. Give it a chance and tell us what you think. It's worth your time.

Link to the past

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29725 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Similarly, Dan Carlin's excellent Hardcore History podcast has done a number of episodes about the declines and falls of various dynasties/civilizations, including a great 6-part series on the end of the Western Roman Empire called "Death Throes of the Republic", which then nicely segues into the episode "Thor's Angels" about the subsequent Dark Ages.

And Dan Carlin's semi-recent book - "The End Is Always Near" - covers various mechanisms of civilizational collapse, both historical collapses like the Bronze Age, as well as the possibilities of future modern collapses. (Released in October 2019, the section on the effects of pandemics on civilizations proved especially prophetic. Big Grin )

If you like Harcore History, I'd recommend getting the audiobook version of The End Is Always Near, since it's read by Dan himself. It's then basically another HH episode, albeit a shallower dive into a broader topic rather than his usual deep dives into narrower topics on the podcast.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I've just started listening to "The History of Rome" by Michael Duncan on spotify.

There's 179 episodes that each are about 20 mins long. Well, so far anyway.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I wasn't subscribed, but apparently I've watched "Roman Britain - The Work of Giants Crumbled" and I remember it being a good one. Thanks for bringing me back to this channel. Obviously over the last few years, I've been looking at Rome a lot. I guess I'll figure out Spotify and check out the Michael Duncan podcast, so thanks, Shaql.

Ever since I was little, I've been fascinated with extinct cultures and civilizations. Society has risen only to fall so many times that I think it's a critical endeavor for anyone interested in civics, politics, or society to take a look at some of the notables, at least: Rome, Byzantium (I know, it's also Rome, but it's also not), and the Vikings (the ones who stayed home didn't have quite the same impact). Lessons on corruption, lessons on conquest and empire and the cost/benefits, lessons on effectively governing a people, lessons on selling away cultural bonds, lessons on selling your allegiance, lessons on what comes after the social glue and respect for the efforts of those who worked to build it has all dissolved. It's all there.

Posts: 17212 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Interesting! Thanks for the suggestion!

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6062 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’ll check it out.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I've just started listening to "The History of Rome" by Michael Duncan on spotify.

Thumbs up. This is a great podcast.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Rome, the podcast on Carthage was one of the best. These are so full of information, I typically listen to them multiple times to enjoy it all.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29725 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Thanks...these will take the place of Alone on Saturday night.

Channel 66 decided to replace the DEFY channel with Scripps News which is also carried by Channel 2.

https://wbdstbt.in/alone-season-10/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post