SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is There An Actual Standard For The Half Staff/Half Mast US Flag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is There An Actual Standard For The Half Staff/Half Mast US Flag Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’m seeing a lot of half staff United States flags this weekend and for good reason, but a lot of them seem to be way too low toward the ground IMO. Just saw one earlier that I swear was 2/3 of the way down the pole.

Is there an actual standard as to how low the flag is to be lowered for half staff? I’ve always understood it to be the flag is centered precisely between the top of the pole and the ground?

Anyone else seeing this?

Posts: 33845 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes, and tattered/torn flags as well.

Raise briskly to top, then lower (slowly) to half, midway on the staff/mast, centered of the flag centered on the mast.

(Former Color Guard/Drum and Bugle Corps, USAF)

For flags on 45 degree staffs, a black ribbon, the width of a stripe and the length of the flag long stripes can be fastened to the finial at the top of the flag.

(I do that rather than use the "half/horizontal display as the flag pole droops)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post