SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anybody know anything about blood sugar tests (fasting, A1C)? Very confused
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anybody know anything about blood sugar tests (fasting, A1C)? Very confused Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:Interestingly, my A1C was 5.0 when I was fatter, and when I worked my ass off and dropped a ton of weight, it went to 5.1, and now it's 5.0 again now that I still eat healthy but have not been as strict. Go figure.

What did you expect it to be? 5 is very normal. Lower isn't always better.

Well my doctor gave me flak for my higher fasting numbers and told me everything would go down with diet/exercise. So I was expecting the A1C to go down too, even though it's not high.

I guess I found it interesting that my A1C pretty much stayed the same despite me losing a lot of belly fat and being way more active.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Seens to me you are perfect . Always told 90 to 120 is a poaitive range. imho 80 is a bit low. I think a Dr giving flak about .1 rise of a1c is BS. Your doing great!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, all--I'm Mike's wife and a certified diabetes educator. Great discussion and support for original poster.

Because Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease if not addressed early, the A1c & blood sugar goals for someone with pre-diabetes tend to be more stringent. The idea is to 'hold the line' when it comes to pre-diabetes.

Pre-diabetes: Keep the A1c at least under 6.5% (ideal is under 5.7%) Blood sugar before breakfast 80-100; 1-2 hrs after a meal: Under 140.

For Type 2 diabetes: Shoot for an A1c at least under 7.0% and blood sugars before breakfast 80-130 and 1-2 hrs. after meals, under 180.

BUT....if you have long-standing health problems (heart or kidney diseases, etc.) the doctor may have less stringent targets. Also, if you have low blood sugars (Under 70), you MUST have your targets less stringent!!

Blood sugar meters have an accepted error of ~20% and A1cs are an average over 3 months' time. So, a few 'flier' blood sugars isn't as important as the trend.

Finally, if you have private insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, ask your doctor for a referral to see a diabetes educator. Unfortunately, doctors have a limited amount of time to provided education.

Thanks for letting me butt in. BTW, this is one fun forum!!

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW...I'm pretty proud of this young lady !! Smile mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike28w,

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post