SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video editing - what transitions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video editing - what transitions? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
What type of transitions are preferred when going between various video scenes and still photos? My initial attempts were just instant changes. Most transitions in software are annoying. Are there any that do work well and are well liked?

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple.

I use instant transitions unless something else makes sense or adds something to the scene. For video to still transitions, I like fades and I like to pan and/or zoom the still.

Here's my modest attempt at a home video.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_oQzjVrrQg

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Keep it simple.

I use instant transitions unless something else makes sense or adds something to the scene. For video to still transitions, I like fades and I like to pan and/or zoom the still.

Here's my modest attempt at a home video./QUOTE]

Modest. Sure. That was fantastic, and I really liked it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I used to do investor/tenant walkthrough videos for rental properties. This is what I did:

Very beginning of the video: fade in from white

Between scenes/moving from room to room: cross fade

End of the video: fade out to white

When I first started it we were also putting banners and branding and stuff on the videos, but for the sake of simplicity and post processing time we cut all of that out. Nowadays I only ever film presentations and testimonials and the like (we cut most video from our lineup because we downsized the department from 3 down to just me).

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3374 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Keep it simple.

Wow. That was very captivating. How much time did you put into that 3 minute video?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice video! Looks like it was a great trip.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Keep it simple.

Wow. That was very captivating. How much time did you put into that 3 minute video?

Probably two or three hours. In the past, I used to take video clips that were several minutes long, and that really slowed down the editing process because you had to watch the entire clip to choose the best scene for your movie. These days, most clips I take are only 10-20 seconds long with the intent of only using 2-4 seconds of the clip in the movie.

Also, I try to match the scenes to the music so that transitions are on beat and that the video matches to music content. If you watch the movie again and pay attention to the song lyrics, I match words of the song with video content. If I didn't care about that, and just wanted to throw together 60 3 second clips of video together, that would go a ton faster.

Lastly, I spent some time learning how to color grade the video clips. I took the video on several different devices, so I tried to match all the colors together, and then I've have it all a faded, vintage, color look to match the feel of the music.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
^^^

The effort certainly shows. Very nice work.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20023 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post