SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paid my respects to Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paid my respects to Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson today Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
I was in Lexington, Virginia today for work so I took the opportunity to fulfill a life long dream to visit the grave site of Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. I'd actually hoped to visit both Jackson and then Lee Chapel to visit General Robert E. Lee's memorial/burial site but it was closed due to Covid. So I drove a couple miles across town to the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery in Lexington. It was Virginia in July weather, hot and humid, but beautiful, blue skies and sunshine. I parked on the street and strolled through the cemetery. Right in the middle you could spot the memorial with General Jackson's back turned to me. I made my way around to it and stood in front and looked up at him.

There he was, staring forward, binoculars in hand. It was quiet and I just stood there thinking about the man and the legend of Stonewall Jackson. It was a humbling experience. People can say what they want about the cause that this man and men like him fought for, he was a god fearing warrior that hesitated to leave his beloved country but once did knew there was no turning back. He was a brilliant tactician. His Shenandoah valley campaign is a masterpiece in the art of war.

Can you spot the lemon down at the base of the monument?

There's a plaque fixed to the monument that reads: Field Marhsal the Right Honorable Viscount Wolseley British Soldier of the Highest Rank says:

"The fame of Stonewall Jackson is no longer the exclusive property of Virginia and the South; it has become the birthright of every man privileged to call himself an American."

I did not know that buried/ honored beside him is his grandson and great-grandson. His grandson Thomas Jonathan Jackson Christian was a career US Army officer who served during both world wars, retiring as a Brigadier General. His great-grandson Thomas Jonathan Jackson Christian Jr. was a colonel in the Army Air Corp during WWII flying in both the pacific and European theaters. He was shot down and killed in action August 1944 over France.

I tried finding the grave site of Brigadier General William Nelson Pendleton but was unsuccessful. He was General Lee's Chief of Artillery for much of the war.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures. I’ve been to pay my respects to General Jackson several times. If you find yourself there and have time you should tour his home. As I understand it the house was the first and only home he ever owned.

Hate you didn’t get to visit Washington & Lee university. I’ve been there once. They have General Lees office as he left it and his memorial in the basement (and his family) is impressive. I believe his horse Traveler is buried just outside.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6737 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Before we had a child we often wondered about names.

We settled on Thomas as a first name. Or first date wa to see the Thomas Crown Affair...we went on our honeymoon on St. Thomas, the list goes on....And occasionally we would opine about his middle name....one day we Were on a a trip to the mountains where my parents lived and passed thru “Jackson” county...
I told my wife, that would be a great name,Thomas Jackson, it sounds very strong.

After he was born, probably five or so years I happen to be researching something and trip across, General Thomas Jackson AKA Stonewall Jackson....I learned that day that they both share a birthday....

I don’t believe I would have named my child after someone, it just happened organically.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I grew up next to and lived in Gainesville GA for most of my life and spent quite a bit of time and interest in General Longstreet. His grave is there in Gainesville, his home place is next to a public swimming pool not far from his resting place and grapes from his vines still lived while I was there. I was even part of the Longstreet Society dedicated to preserving his memory and history and remaining hotel building. I wish I’d visited Jackson’s gravesite when I passed through Virginia long ago. Maybe one day.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
During the parts of two years I worked in the VA in Salem, my wife and I saw all the Civil War sights we could find. Not only Lexington and VMI, but Newmarket, Winchester, Appomattox Court House, the Wilderness, and many many others. There were days in August when we and the park historians were the only ones there. We visited the cabin where Jackson died, and the grave of his left arm in Locust Grove, 110 miles from where the rest of his body is buried.
Unlike some very ignorant younger people, we cherish all of our American history.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Clarksburg WV, the birthplace of General Stonewall Jackson. Once upon a time everyone there was proud the town was associated with the General. And everything bore his name in the state. Now they want to remove his beautiful statue from the courthouse square and the state capitol.

Now the attitude of many makes me sick and we see history erased before our very eyes. God rest his brilliant tactician soul.

Posts: 2168 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father and his brothers' given names were from famous generals from the Civil War. Sherman Lee (X) and Robert Jackson (X). Our family lore has it that my Great Grandfather had some involvement in the war but has never been verified by any records, his family name was long and often mis-spelled. He did own a stable in my hometown so may have been in support of mounted troops but not necessarily in a direct fighting position. Somewhat adding to this is the almost yearly birth of a child prewar, no children in war years, then regular births again following the war. Midwest German heritage families were often large to supply a labor force in the years after the elder could no longer do the strenuous work required to farm or run a business. Those German folks were also very pro North and many served during the war. To add there is also a GAR staked medallion in the ground where his now unmarked grave lies next to my G. Grandmother. I know, all circumstantial, but a lot of coincidences that seem to fall in place just a bit too well.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to visit him before too long.

The sad part is that once a month for at least 10 years or longer I would travel through Lexington on my way from Richmond to Cols, OH to either see my parents or for military drills.

I always planned to stop but work, or some other imaginary crisis at the time prevented me and I always said I would stop later.

I want to see it before too long before something happens it to either by mother nature or man.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.

Posts: 1974 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The outcome at Gettysburg may have been different if he had still been alive.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5293 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The bed in which Stonewall Jackson died.
Stonewalls's Bed

The Stonewall Shrine where he died.
Stonewall Jackson Shrine

The clock left stopped at the time of his death.
Stonewall's Clock

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
There is also a separate grave somewhere for his arm.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am leaving ND in the next day or so to head back to NC for a few weeks so I may stop on the way in before they change the name.

I know I read online that the City of Lexington voted unanimously to change the name.

Also the Stonewall Jackson hotel in Staunton is doing the same.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My MIL is from Buena Vista (5 or 6 miles outside Lexington) and I visited a few times while her parents were still alive and then for their funerals. Gorgeous little town and I loved walking around and seeing VMI, the Lee Chapel, Stonewall's house, etc. They even have Old Sorrel, his horse, taxidermied at the VMI museum.

I am a bit surprised to see the picture of Lee in repose above. The times I've been there no photography was allowed.

They were truly great men.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing man. Great book and worthy read: The Killer Angels.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just re-read Rebel Yell. Amazing how Jackson kept the Union at bay and away from Richmond during the first year of the war.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Just re-read Rebel Yell. Amazing how Jackson kept the Union at bay and away from Richmond during the first year of the war.

I really like this book also. I'm listening to it on Audible for the third time currently. Just a great book that really exposes who he was.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
There is also a separate grave somewhere for his arm.

In Chancellorsville.

The fate of Stonewall Jackson's arm

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post