SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Has a Hot Tub and How Do You Like It - Update. Bought a Marquis Spa
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Has a Hot Tub and How Do You Like It - Update. Bought a Marquis Spa Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
When we moved back to Colorado a couple years back, we got a house without a good tub. As I like to soak my weary bones from time to time, I am finding myself in need of a good hot tub.

We’ve started the search for a good tub and now I’m only confusing myself. I’m leaning towards a tub with therapy jets to help massage the muscles.

Reading on line it sounds like the number of jets don’t matter, it’s more of the quality of the jets. Also, I like the lounger seats but some reviews say only first time buyers select lounger seats. The problem is the person floats away and can’t stay put to get the benefit of the jets.

My two prospects are the Jacuzzi J-335 and the Artesian Antigua: both loungers. I need to look into Sundance a bit more but understand they are owned by Jacuzzi.

You guys with hot tubs, how do you like them? Any recommendations to look for or things to stay away from?

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ugeesta,

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have owned a Hot Springs and a Sundance. Both were fine but the Hot Springs was a far better quality unit. I believe the Hot Springs was a Grande model and was large. The Sundance was a Payton model. We now have a hot tub built in next to our pool. If this house hadn't come with a hot tub built in, I wouldn't have purchased one. We just don't use it enough to justify. Also, these things have gotten crazy expensive.

Chemistry has been easy. Get the pH right and with our water, just add some bromine after every use. We drain and fill twice a year.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had an Apollo for many years. Agree on the lounger, most people will just float off. Not very relaxing when you are tensing up fighting to stay put.

We ended up getting rid of it when our use of it went down due to conflicting work schedules. It was the maintenance, strangely enough the less we used it the more difficult it became to keep it all balanced. Chemicals were expensive, and it just got to the point where it wasn't worth the trouble and expense. We had an ozonater which they claimed would cut down on maintenance and chemical use. Don't know how true that was as we didn't have a before to compare it to, but those bulbs were expensive to replace.

We do miss it however when we get those aches.

Tony

Posts: 316 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
We have a 300 gallon Nordic 5/6 person tub. Came with the house. We use it two or three times a week, year round. Very relaxing and easy to maintain - but chemicals have increased in price over the last two years and you have to plan ahead as some are harder to obtain than others - you don't want to run out.

I empty ours and clean it in the fall and spring. There are only two of us using it.

Once a week I check the water and adjust the Ph if necessary, every two weeks I switch the filters out, and I add a capful of bromine after each use.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
After years of listening to people bitch about owning pools and hottubs, then having pools and hottubs at a few homes in a row, my only conclusion is that those who bitch about them just don't like pools ans hottubs much, sort of like the anti Boat trope that is fairly pervasive as well.

They're great, if you're into them, boats, pools, and hottubs. I love them and never found the maintenance to be a problem. They see use year round.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If I could design my own, it would have nothing but the 5” or 6” dual spinner jets or the multi-hole spinner jet. Those are the ones that really work for me. The stationary ones just hit one small spot and I find them annoying.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my hot tub more than my pool. Its built in so I can't give a recommendation. I will say we used to heat it to 102, we have since lowered it to 100 and that is about perfect for us.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I was designing my new raised deck I wanted a hot Tub to be part of it. I wanted the tub to be sunk into the deck with about a 6" revealed edge on top.
I finally came to the conclusion that a swim Spa would be a better option as it allowed more activities to be done and would let the grand kids play in it like a pool, plus I could use it year round.
Because of zoning and space issues I could only put in a smaller Swim Spa. I went with a 1200 gallon, 7'x12'x52" Endless Pools unit. One end has the spa seats the other end has 2 POWERFUL swim jets, imagine sitting in your washing machine. The grand kids love it, with there life vests on they go around like a lazy river.
I did a lot of research and found MANY Hot Tubs and swim Spas to be poorly constructed using lots of plywood under thin fiberglass.I chose the Endless Pools because they use a galvanized steel frame and a ABS plastic bottom that sits on the concrete pad, The only plywood used is on top of the ABS base and is used to secure the pumps.I have had it now for about 3 years and use it year round. It takes about 1 hour to warm 1 degree so I Set the temp to 95 and turn the heat up to 101 about 4-5 hours before I'm going to use it. In the winter I set it to 85 if I see bad weather will be around for an extended time frame. I can control the jets and heat with my cell phone. The tub is very well insulated with spray on, closed cell insulation, NO BATTING insulation is used.
I had a couple problems with the tub but the dealer was quick to come out and fix the problem, all under warranty.
Do your homework on the construction of a tub. They all look exciting and fun to use but a cheaply made one could end up being a real bummer to maintain and use.
I use Bromide to sanitize the water. I drain and refill 3 times a year.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have a Nordic. It's okay. Jets could be more powerful. The biggest pet peave I have is the buttons for jets and temp don't light up so at night I can't push the "jets" button that easily when it shuts off after 15 minutes.

We don't use it as much as we should but we do love having it. We actually use it more in winter when it's snowing. In the hot tub with a cocktail in the winter snow is awesome.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want mine please come and take it.
Right now it's a storage bin for legos and
nerf guns. I'll bet there are three or four thousand dollars worth of Legos in there!

Posts: 968 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the Lego’s come with it? lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Sure! Bring a saw! The only way I could get that out of my solarium would
be to cut it up into pieces. The Legos and Nerfguns will go to my grandsons
when they get a little older. Smile

Posts: 968 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2 best days were the day I installed the hot tub, and the day I got rid of it. It is a lot of work and if not used frequently, it isn't worth it. My 2 cents.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
If it's a lot of work, you're not doing it right.

Takes me 15 minutes tops every other Monday, and 5 minutes on the other Monday in between.

When I drain, clean, and refill it twice a year, it takes 4 hours - and that's waiting for the pump to empty it, and the hose to fill it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ARMORED, I am at the decision point now and your post was very helpful. I've had two hot tubs before and while looking for one, I saw a Swim Spa, 8 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 50". We are flip flopping on what to get as the price is twice as much over the past spas. Even so, it's a lot more interesting than flopping my ass in an 8 x 8 and sitting motionless.

Awake not woke

Posts: 573 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks ARMORED. Very informative post. The swim spa sounds like a great addition. Unfortunately, I don't have the room for one.

It's almost comical reading spa reviews and seeing the 'Best' and 'worst' lists for 20xx. Both lists contain the same manufactures..... One thing I am noticing is Master Spa is listed more as a good manufacture than a bad one.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I've had my Hot Springs Grandee since 2012. It holds 500 Gallons. It's been a great tub but it's starting to show it's age. I had a leak that was covered under their 5 year warranty. I have had put about $700 into repairs in the last 2 years. I empty mine out for the summer months. My wife is not a huge fan. But I got it before we were married. Chemicals can be frustrating at first but once you know your water it's pretty simple.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I was going to ask that too! Wink

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. I was in your spot last year so I bought a Coleman, 6 person inflatable. First one wouldn't hold air. I had to top it off every day or two. Was a PITA.

Chemicals got much easier once I discovered the "Flipping Frog" system at Leslie's pool supply. I can't find my model for my hot tub, but this is the one for bigger pools: https://www.frogproducts.com/product/flippin-frog/

My only gripe now is that the jets cool off the water too fast. We mainly use it to soak.

Not bad for <$700 to "get our feet wet". Now thinking about getting a permanent one because we love the thing and use it 3-4 times a week.

Adding picture: 2021-11-06 13.37.14 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I first started with the Swim Spa I was concerned with the chemicals needed.
I soon realized that most all the chemicals could be bought under the Spa/Pool chemical brands for WAY more money than necessary.
I buy 1# boxes of Baking Soda and a gal. of Muratic acid to deal with the PH and Alkalinity balances. For sanitation I use the small Bromide pellets, I buy a 5# bucket and use a small floating dispenser (about $10) and set it to the smallest opening. It will go for a week or longer before it needs to be refilled.I probably go through 2-3 buckets a year. I use a Shock treatment ( a few ounces at a time) only when my test strips show I need it, about every month.
Thats it. NOT rocket science, NOT overly expensive.
I had a ultra violet sanitizing unit on the Spa. I had a problem blowing the 60 amp breaker. The repair guy came out and said immediately that the problem was the Ultraviolet filter. He said they go out all the time. He suggested that I NOT replace it but leave it disconnected because the cost of running it was not cost effective. The tub pumps must run 24-7 to constantly pass water through the UV filter for it to work thus raising your electric bill with little benefit. I took his advice and see no difference with out it. Monitor your water with test strips. After you get the PH and Alkalinity set your good to go.
My Endless Pools unit came with a nice Blue ray stereo system with a sub-woofer built in.
I like putting on my Mask and snorkel and sitting on the bottom like a "Gator".
The benefits of the Swim Spa as opposed to just a Hot Tub are appreciated by me and my family every time we use it.
another consideration is your Spa/Pool cover.
The floating type will work until it starts to sink, You also need the room to store it when you are using the Tub. Because my Swim Spa sits just above deck level I was able to use a End TO End rolling cover. It is very well insulated,does not float on the water, and is easily rolled back and forth when I need it or don't. If I roll it to the deep end its not so big that the Kids Lil Tikes slide won't span it so the Kids can enjoy sliding into the pool.
In the dead of Winter I usually just roll the cover back enough to access the Spa end leaving the deep end covered. It helps maintain the Spa Temp and block some wind if its blowing in from the South.

https://www.endlesspools.com/products/swim-spas
https://www.end2endswimspacovers.com/

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post