SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “Whiskey Fungus,” Jack Daniels Lawsuit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Whiskey Fungus,” Jack Daniels Lawsuit Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Never heard of “whiskey fungus,” but it sounds kinda nasty and I guess I understand why nearby property owners would look for some kind of solution.

quote:
Whiskey drinkers have heard about the angel's share, the portion of the liquid magically lost in the distilling process. What many haven't heard about is the whiskey fungus, an ugly byproduct of that process.

But familiarity about the fungus is growing thanks to a recent lawsuit, which resulted in a work stoppage at one of Jack Daniel's operations in south-central Tennessee.

As whiskey ages in barrels in a distillery's warehouse, fumes sneak out of the barrels – evaporating that legendary "angel's share" of 1%-2% lost from the barrel. Those emissions attract a strain of fungus, called Baudoinia compniacensis, which feeds off the ethanol and spreads through the air to nearby buildings, trees, plants and other objects.

New Barrel Aging Warehouse Construction Halted

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's been a long-standing issue. During prohibition, revenue agents used to look for this fungus as a sign that someone was operating a still nearby. Now that jack Daniel's has expanded so much the fungus is growing everywhere.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Moonshine Fungus". I like the way it sounds. Surely they can put a positive marketing spin on this.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tell you it’s real. Born and raised in Bardstown, Ky and still here. It’s really bad the closer you live to a warehouse. I think the evaporated alcohol is not blown through the air, but settles like a fog since it’s heavier than air. You pretty much can’t keep your gutters or house trim clean. You should see some cars that don’t get washed much. Several white cars that are solid black, lol. Probably healthy for your lungs as well.

Posts: 337 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I guess I better stop loading my Navage with Gentleman Jack.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Hhmmmm.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

That's ok, it's already out of the barrel and good to go by then!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
LMAO, hysterical. Ty for the chuckle Wink
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Maybe somebody in Kentucky needs to learn about a devise called a "pressure washer'.

I got a dog that loves to stick his head in the sour mash barrel... has not hurt him yet but does cut down on the final product if I'm not careful.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of js1050
posted Hide Post
As with many who write media articles the author of this piece is an imbecile. A simple web search on his part would have yielded a good fact check. The angel share is a byproduct of evaporation while whisky is aging in the barrel; not from distillation. Distillation is boiling and then condensing. The so called fungus is likely a byproduct of the yeast activity in the giant open fermenters.

Most of this can be taken care of with a power washer.

Posts: 18 | Location: PA | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thje simple answer for this is that Jack Daniels set up a free pressure washing fleet that cleans up all the whisky fungus in the area. Placing the burden for constantly cleaning this fungus on homeowners that pre-date the warehouses is in fact a Public Nuisance and they are liable for it's effect.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is when you knowingly consider purchasing a property with known defects, you really need to do your do your homework before signing in the dotted line. The two people in the article admitted in the article that they knew about this. The picture clearly shows the property is next door to the Jack Daniels facility. It’s the same as buying the house at the end of the runway then complaining about the noise the airplanes make.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post