SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To celebrate my return to golf after a 3 year hiatus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To celebrate my return to golf after a 3 year hiatus Login/Join 
posted
A little humor.

A distraught husband went to the police station to report his wife missing. She went out yesterday and had not come home.

Sergeant at Police Station: What is her height?

Husband:.Gee, I'm not sure. A little over five-feet tall.

Sergeant: Weight?

Husband: Don't know. Not slim, not really fat.

Sergeant: Color of eyes?

Husband: Sort of brown I think. Never really noticed.

Sergeant: Color of hair?

Husband: Changes a couple times a year. Maybe dark brown now. I can’t remember.

Sergeant: What was she wearing?

Husband: Could have been pants, or maybe a skirt or shorts. I don't know exactly.

Sergeant: What kind of car did she go in?

Husband: She went in my car.

Sergeant: What kind of car?

Husband: BMW, can’t remember what model. It’s blue.

Sergeant: Was there anything of value in the car?

Husband: (sobbing)

Yes, my golf clubs:

Titleist TS3 9 degree driver with Tensei Orange TX flex CK60 with 74 Tungsten Prepreg shaft

Titleist TS3 15 degree Fairway wood with Hzrdus 6.5x 76g shaft

Titleist 3-4 718 TMB irons with Nippon modus 120 x shafts

Titleist 718 AP2 irons 5-50deg with nippon modus 120 x shafts

Titleist Vokey Sm8 52,56 & 60 degree wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35 inch putter with Superstroke Pistol GT Tour Skull grip

Titleist mid Staff bag

Nikon range finder

12 x pro V1s

3 x Titleist player's Golf gloves

Titleist towel

Alignment sticks and Stitch leather cover

Dubai Hills by Jumeirah bag tag

(At this point, the sobbing has turned into a full cry.)

Sergeant: Don't worry sir, we'll find your golf clubs!

Posts: 816 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Years ago I discovered the ultimate secret of the game of golf. You're never to young to quit.

I used to play with a couple of friends who are very good. I'd get to the point of almost bogey golf, and then I'd just explode to the point where I couldn't even hit the ball anymore. I tried leaving it alone and stop playing for a bit, and trying to train through it at the range. Nothing worked. I'd come back next spring and start the process all over again. After the third straight year of this happening that was it for me.

When my Dad passed I got his clubs for some reason. Just can't seem to part with them. I have a school across the street and one day I picked a 9 iron and a handful of balls over to the school. First shot a little weak but dead straight. Second shot stronger, higher, and dead straight. I picked everything up and said, "Nope. I ain't getting that started again."

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Excellent….and true!

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I'd get to the point of almost bogey golf, and then I'd just explode to the point where I couldn't even hit the ball anymore.
That's pretty typical of amateur golfers. Far more typical than you'd believe.

quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I tried ... to train through it at the range.
Amateurs often confuse "training" and "practice." I did.

Until, at the end of my very first season, in 2020, my ball-striking, which had been steadily improving, went entirely down the crapper at the end of the season.

I decided to take off-season training on-line. That's when I discovered the difference between "training" and "practicing."

Most training doesn't even involve a ball. Training is getting motions down right and ingraining them--which takes, literally, thousands of repetitions of the desired motion--using mirrors and videoing ones self to ensure you're really doing what you think you're doing.

(Such training has another benefit: It gets the "HAVE TO HIT THE BALL!" thing out of your head. That thought, and "swing thoughts," are probably the two most destructive thoughts in an amateur's head.)

You practice on the range and during practice games during which you may not even keep score. During practice you practice what you trained. You do not try to change the things you trained to do on-the-fly.

If you don't realize the expected results during practice you video yourself. You'll probably discover you're not doing what you think you're doing. What you thought you'd trained yourself to do. That means the motion(s) are not yet ingrained. More training reps until they are.

Or just go play and have fun Smile

(N.B.: I've yet to have put my training into practice [much], much less play. Things keep happening to interrupt the process, setting me back. When I do practice, however, my ball-striking has become more consistent than I'd ever have believed possible. TBH: I not certain whether it's the game that interests me, per se, or the challenge of developing consistent ball-striking.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post