SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to select another password mgr.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to select another password mgr. Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
What is the current favorite?

I changed all my passwords in January after some sort of breach with LastPass. That actually wasn't that hard to do on the same service. I 'm ready to screw around with the major PITA of changing services. Suggestions?

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "the current favorite," but, I've used Password Safe for years because it's open source, therefor it's available for pretty much every extant platform, and doesn't require you use anybody's servers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I use 1Password which does everything I need, but I bought it way back when it was a simple purchase. Now that it is "rental software" with a monthly fee ($2.99 / month for a single user or $4.99 for up to five in a family), I'm not sure that I would recommend it. Functionally, it's great, but I hate that sales model.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Bitwarden. Well vetted, open source, can be self hosted. Check out Lawrence Systems on YouTube concerning it.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Bitwarden. I learned about it when the LastPass news hit and my boss's boss (VP of ITSec) said we could download it as a test group.

You can actually export from LP to BW. It entails saving your passwords in a CSV file that you import into the new manager.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I've used Dashlane for years - no complaints. Free version works on one PC, paid works on multiple PCs/devices.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
mSecure for me. I’ve used it for at least six years. Currently $14.99/year (used to be free). Syncs all of my devices with multiple sync options: Wi-Fi, DropBox, mSecure’s own server. I use the latter – works anywhere, no third-party involved, and no additional fee. Nice clean apps for my iPhone and MacBook. AES encryption. It’s never been hacked.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8987 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm still using Keepass. It's free and I learned about it here. No cloud based stuff to be hacked. I keep it on two PC's and a couple backed up thumb drives.

Posts: 7368 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When asking questions like this it would help potential respondents to know what OS's you want to run the software on as not all products support all popular OS's.

For example, I have used B-Folders5 for decades (including previous versions) and have been very happy with it. I use it on macOS, Android, FreeBSD, and Linux, but it is not available for Apple iOS and this is a deal breaker for some. I find the Apple Keychain on iOS good enough for my limited iOS use. I am not a heavy or regular mobile phone user, perhaps touching my phone once or twice a month, YMMV.

B-folders keeps your data in a local encrypted store, and allows syncing between devices via a device-to-device(s) encrypted TCP connection. Be aware (and beware) that many password managers have moved to cloud-hosted data, or cloud-enabled syncing, and a subscription model. I would never let a third party control my secrets.

There appears to be a time-limited free trial available from the above linked website (the Android version does not require licensing). Buying a $30 desktop license covers all the devices you want to run it on. Multiple databases are supported (work/personal/wife/etc.) with no additional license fee. Will import from most other PW vaults (albeit perhaps via a CSV file).

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I recently moved from LastPass to 1Password. There is process to export your vault to your computer into a .json file and then immediately import it into 1Password. The transition was nearly seamless.

I've been using 1Password for a couple months now and so far am happy.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at ROBOFORM?

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bitwarden or KeyPass. Bitwarden is more convenient if using it on multiple devices.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1533 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
MSecure for ten years or so.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
I've used Dashlane for years - no complaints. Free version works on one PC, paid works on multiple PCs/devices.

I fought with various password programs for years, mostly seeking the less expensive or free. I gave up and went with Dashlane and although it carries a fee it's very secure and gives you a VPN if you choose to use it. Works across platforms and auto syncs to all of your devices including other house hold folks. I just pay the fee and that's that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have used 1Password for quite a few years now. It's a free app.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I recently moved from LastPass to 1Password. There is process to export your vault to your computer into a .json file and then immediately import it into 1Password. The transition was nearly seamless.

I've been using 1Password for a couple months now and so far am happy.

I did the same thing. Worked perfectly. Also, 1Password is a lot easier to use and less buggy than LastPass. Highly recommended.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Many PW managers are free if you need them for only one device. It’s a different story if you want to keep two or more devices in sync.

And, according to V-Tail’s post above, that’s the case for 1Password

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8987 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Many PW managers are free if you need them for only one device. It’s a different story if you want to keep two or more devices in sync.

And, according to V-Tail’s post above, that’s the case for 1Password
I might be missing something, but as far as I know, there are no free versions of 1Password.

I don't know the date or version that it changed, but older versions were simple "buy it" with a one-time payment, and newer versions are rented by the month or year.

The only free version that I'm aware of is the free trial for a limited time -- I think it's fourteen days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the guidance. 1Password is clearly the favorite in this sampling. I would have done that one except for the fee. I miss/forget renewing a lot of annual shit.
I went with Bitwarden/free. If I wanna get fancier, the 1st pay tier is $10/yr. Just set it up and will muck with filling it in tomorrow.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a "password manager". It's called a "text file"

It came with the operating system of my laptop and it's stored on a bitlocked external drive.

Posts: 107661 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post