SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Dodge Charger -Leather Interior Question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Dodge Charger -Leather Interior Question? Login/Join 
posted
For the first time in many years, I have a new car with leather interior. For those of you who also own cars with leather, what are you using to clean and preserve the leather? I hope to find a product that is easy to apply and use, with a minimum of hassle and mess.
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used these and have liked the results.
Lexol leather conditioner
Meguires leather cleaner & conitioner
Mother’s leather cleaner & conditioner
303 protectant
303 Leather conditioner
Lanolin
I’ve liked them all,easy to apply and work with.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mother’s leather cleaner & conditioner Is what I use as well
Tried couple other brands that were equal in price and they all seem to work about the same

Posts: 1186 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Where are you keeping the car? Hopefully in a garage, because Mister Sun is very hard on leather.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lexol products for leather (cleaner & conditioner)
303 for faux leather and vinyl including convertible tops

The "full list:"

Detailing:
-- P21S Concours Caranuba Wax; Paintwork Cleanser
-- S100 Concours Caranuba Wax; Paintwork Cleanser; Gel Wheel Cleaner
-- Klasse All-In-One; Sealant Glaze
-- Meguiars #34 Final Inspection; NXT Tech Wax; Gold Class wheel cleaner
-- 303 Aerospace Protectant; Wiper Treatment
-- Lexol Cleaner; Conditioner; foam application pads
-- Protect-All Quick n Easy Wash
-- Mothers Mag/Aluminum Polish
-- Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover
-- Stoner Invisible Glass
-- Rain-X
-- Clay Magic 100gm claybar; ClayLube

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Lexol works great. I have also been using my Bicks leather conditioner that I use on my ostrich boots and it works really well too.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We use Lexol in our Porsches and MB’s. One of our Porsche’s is 17 years old and still looks great.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Where are you keeping the car? Hopefully in a garage, because Mister Sun is very hard on leather.

And Mr. Cold weather makes sitting on cold leather - cold.

Hope you have heated seats.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ceramic Tint and Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No garage, but its a 3 year lease so I will rotate it out at lease end. So I want to keep the leather nice until I do.
Both heated and cooled seats as part of the equipment package.

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Zymol leather cleaner and conditioner is what I used to use.
Best shine, Zymol Titanium.
Best shine with durability, Glare, two coats. Watch the results below:

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4366 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Meguiars leather cleaner works very well. I've been using it for months now.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As an avid detailer for many years, my first comment to you would be...all leather is not the same, so simply quoting you a random product is a rather poor start to this discussion. 'Most' of the leather seats I've seen in Chrysler products were rather cheap and stiff compared to BMW or MB leather interiors, and would require a very different product to maintain them. Personally, I'd suggest you find a good detailer in your area and ask them what they'd use on 'your' specific type of leather.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BigDeal, you are correct in the quality of the leather. No comparison to other leather interiors I have had the past. Its not stiff, but seems pretty thin. I would not have opted for leather at all, but the deal on the car was unbeatable. Which is why I want try to keep it up properly. If the car was a long term keeper, I might have passed on the deal.

Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Chamberlain’s Leather Milk is what I use on my Lexus and Toyota Sequoia

JC

Posts: 1305 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have to ask, will this Charger be driven in the U.P. snowy winter? If so, do you have special tires in mind?

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have owned many cars over the years with leather interior. Never used anything to condition the leather. We usually keep cars about 4 years. No noticeable wear in that timeframe. All parked outside in the Texas sun with basic window tint. For a 3 year lease, just drive it and wipe the seats down with a cloth when you wash the car or as needed.

Just replaced my wife's Sequoia Platinum with perforated leather heated and cooled seats after 4 years, 90k plus miles with 2 kids and a dog. This is a picture taken a couple of days before it left us. Never treated the leather with anything in that time. Not a blemish or any sign of wear on the seats.

ETA, as a close comp to your new ride I also have a 2018 Dodge Challenger sitting in my driveway that is my almost 17 year old son's daily driver. It too has perforated heated and cooled leather. Bought it used with less than 20k miles and now has around 40k miles. If you have ever lived with a teenage boy you know cleaning and maintennce is not in their typical skill set. Seats still look great with a simple wipe down.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Charger is AWD. I have had it out in our first minor snowfall and it did great. Mainly a little icy and slushy. The Yooper cop Chargers are AWD and they swap out tires to winter tires in late October. Since its a leaser, I probably wont go to the expense of winter only tires. I am waiting for for serious snow (any day now) to play with it further.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
...just drive it and wipe the seats down with a cloth when you wash the car or as needed.
This is really good advice. Many times the early damage to leather seats occurs in the seams when the seats are not cleaned regularly and the continual grinding of dirt and debris into the seams causes them to wear prematurely.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post