SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glucosamine for dogs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glucosamine for dogs Login/Join 
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted
My dog is a picky eater so I'm looking for recommendations for glucosamine/chondroitin chews that your dog goes for like a treat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I just put JIF peanut butter on the tablet

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You can trust Nutramax products to deliver the claimed active ingredients.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.chewy.com/nutramax...soft-chews/dp/109057

This is what we give my pooch. He has been doing well on it. Acts like he is 3 years younger.

As for palatability, i dont think my Golden actually tastes amything, just chows down everything. So YMMV

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Mine like Doggie Dailies.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
You can trust Nutramax products to deliver the claimed active ingredients.

This is what I use, Cosequin. I get it from Costco. I’ve seen noticeable improvements with my Mal. She has early signs of hip dysplasia and a neurological disorder (vertebra). Since I switched her onto the Cosequin she is running around a little more, has more strength. Solid product.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I had a WGSD that had to hip replacements and we used cosiquin and he was fine until he passed 7 years after his replacements.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog's back legs are slowly going bad.

My vet recommended

Vetoquinol Flexadin Plus Hip & Joint Chews.

They have definitely helped.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feed my pup raw chicken paws and I make bone broth, with chicken paw, and other bones. I put it in ice cube tray and feed as a treat, or thaw and pour over her food.

The raw chicken paw also give calcium, magnesium and helps clean her teeth.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
We give or GSD and Bullmastiff these. I researched for hours before landing on this:

https://www.vetriscience.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The brands that I personally have used and liked are the Nutramax labs products (Dasuquin, etc), Phycox, Glycoflex, and SynoviG4.

Remember, the product (in both human and dog trials) is only around 75% effective. I tried it for myself and was in the 25% that it doesn't help. Frown

Also, look at using high omega-3, low omega-6 fish oil supplements, as in double blinded trials these have also been shown to be effective for arthritic dogs.

The evidence on fatty acids:

Article Abstract
OBJECTIVE: To assess the effect of food containing high concentrations of fish oil omega-3 fatty acids and a low omega-6-omega-3 fatty acid ratio on clinical signs of osteoarthritis in dogs.

DESIGN: Randomized, double-blinded, controlled clinical trial.

ANIMALS: 127 client-owned dogs with osteoarthritis in 1 or more joints from 18 privately owned veterinary clinics.

PROCEDURES: Dogs were randomly assigned to be fed for 6 months with a typical commercial food or a test food containing a 31-fold increase in total omega-3 fatty acid content and a 34-fold decrease in omega-6-omega-3 ratio, compared with the control food. Dog owners completed a questionnaire about their dog's arthritic condition, and investigators performed a physical examination and collected samples for a CBC and serum biochemical analyses (including measurement of fatty acids concentration) at the onset of the study and at 6, 12, and 24 weeks afterward.

RESULTS: Dogs fed the test food had a significantly higher serum concentration of total omega-3 fatty acids and a significantly lower serum concentration of arachidonic acid at 6, 12, and 24 weeks. According to owners, dogs fed the test food had a significantly improved ability to rise from a resting position and play at 6 weeks and improved ability to walk at 12 and 24 weeks, compared with control dogs.

CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Ingestion of the test food raised blood concentrations of omega-3 fatty acids and appeared to improve the arthritic condition in pet dogs with osteoarthritis.

Same for Adequan (polysulfated glycosaminoglycans) injections, they work pretty well (and even work as the "try this next" item when the glucosamine/chondroitin combos fail). But with those you have to take Fido to the vet for injections, so the oral supplements at home have an obvious advantage.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I just put JIF peanut butter on the tablet

Works like a charm, the hound actually comes to me when I shake the pill bottle.

Pretty sure she's chanting "The peanut butter bottle is here!"

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Going to try the Nutramax chews.

For her pain meds I used Greenies Pill Pouches but she stopped liking those. I applied PB to them and that worked for a while, but again, seemed to stop liking them. Always a challenge.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Peanut butter is what I use. My dog figured out the cheese trick and started spitting out the pill after eating the cheese.

I started my elderly boxer beagle pit trash panda mix on joint supplements about a month ago when she aggravated an old injury and started walking with a limp. Vet said nothing was broken, but she had a good bit of arthritis in the joints. After a couple of weeks she’s bouncing around like she hasn’t done in years. I feel bad that I didn’t start it earlier. Clearly she was in significant discomfort.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I use both the Nutramax chews and an Omega-3 supplement.

Posts: 7271 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Cissus works wonders on dogs, worth your time. They aren't going to like to eat it though. Tastes like hell.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6977 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post