SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fighting a goose invasion with guns, knives and forks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fighting a goose invasion with guns, knives and forks Login/Join 
posted
The story is too long to post and picture heavy.

I will post a few lines to increase your interest in going to the link:

In 2002, according to RSPB figures, there were just 300 breeding pairs of greylag geese in Orkney. Six years later that number had increased to a startling 10,000. Fast forward to today and the resident goose population - and no-one knows quite why - has soared to a staggering 64,000. That's an awful lot of beaks and big webbed feet trampling grass and eating crops.

"The damage they do in a short space of time is unbelievable," says Steve, who runs Orkney Shooting Holidays, as he prepares to call the geese with his whistle in the first light of dawn. "What we're doing isn't really a sport any more, it's a necessity."

LINK: https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50816678

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Let's get an international Sig Forum shoot over there. Big Grin

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So where the hell is Orkney?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a small grouip of islands off the northern coast of Scotland. Unique in its beauty. Viking historical site. Maybe Tac Foley has visited.

LINK: https://www.visitscotland.com/...ng-photos-of-orkney/

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I used to work we had twp large ponds. And a fine population of Canadian Geese. The birds are federally protected and have more rights than you do. They are smart, aggressive and work in teams to deal with those who oppose them.
Which was me! In warm weather, people would block our doors open and the geese would join us indoors. I would then be dispatched to evict them. The fight was on! My chosen weapon was a broom. Which was no match for the flock. They were adept at flanking me and attacking my six while I engaged the front. Spectators and staff often rooted for the birds! It got to the point that the mere sight of me (broom equipped or not) kicked the gaggle into combat ready status. I often had to fish baby geese out of our storm sewer while the adults tried to kick my ass. This was a health care facility and goose poop being tracked into the building was a real concern. We tried everything to rid us of them. Even brought in a trained dog. As soon as the dog left for the day, the geese came right back. We had to get a permit from the Feds to break the eggs to keep the population from growing. We never did turn the corner on them.
If you dont have Canadas, count your blessings.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16378 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The medical center on Ft. Lewis has cooling ponds that appear to be a stream and lakes. It looks as the hospital was built around a water feature. However the Canada geese moved in making a big mess.
The solution was a pair of mute swans. Their wings are clipped so they stay around.
Turns out, swans are a lot nastier and more territorial then any goose. In short order, the Canada geese were gone.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
They need to use punt guns. If population control is your goal, then just forfeit all pretense of "sporting" controls. Big Grin

There's a reason the Roman soldiers used geese to guard outposts (not Canada geese, obviously). They're mean and aggressive as all get-out.

My grandparents had chickens, ducks, and geese growing up. We had all kinds of eggs for a while. One day the duck and goose pens got opened and they were running around the back yard. I suspect my sister had something to do with it. My grandparents went into a panic and had me race out there and help round them up. I grabbed one of the geese who bit the bejebus out of my hands and just about knocked a few of my teeth out with its wings before I managed to toss it back in the pen and slam the gate shut. The duck I caught wasn't much more fun. Neither animal had teeth, but good grief, a snapping bill on a young child's hand smarts and leaves bruises.

Shortly after that, the geese and ducks disappeared and we had all kinds of nice meals. I guess my grandparents figured they weren't worth all the trouble. I haven't been a huge fan of birds since.

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Canadians are becoming a real problem. The population has exploded and they crap all over everything. We hate them.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Besides shooting I think you have to make their eggs inert to get any headway.

Populations can be reduced, but the gloves need to come off. That only happens when they become a true menace to the majority.

I’ve ate a fair amount of goose in my younger days, thought it was alright. Now if you could make them taste like moose, problems solved.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
Canada Geese have exploded in our area (KC) - want to goose hunt....ask ANY sod farmer or any pond/lake owner who has had it with Canada Geese crapping on their docks, boats, paths, EVERYWHERE!

it's easy to hunt geese around here. just ask!

We have Greater Canada Geese as well as other Canada Geese.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
On our river front there is a nice little park, or it once was. Its right across the Ohio River from where the Reds loose each year. I wish the geese would move over there. Fewer people to bother since almost no one goes to watch them or the Bungles lose these days.

A nice park, littered with goose crap. Not just a pile here or there, the sidewalk almost paved with it. Hmmm. I wonder if the Queen would loan out a few mating pairs. We don't want them permanently. Just long enough to run off the offending noise and poop makers.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Yup, their everywhere.

Don't shoot Canadians thought. Only shoot Canada geese. Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7273 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
We also have a contingency of 40~ geese in the neighborhood. Perhaps I'm in the minority, I like them and feed them when I get home. I swear they hear me coming down the street. As soon as I turn in the drive, they're flying across the lake for dinner. Not sure who has who trained...

Posts: 1850 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Based on the amount that those things poop, I'm convinced that they're a giant flying sack of crap with feathers. You can hunt them here with the appropriate permits, but it doesn't do much to keep the numbers down.

Posts: 9182 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, something I need to try. We once had a maintenance man (he had spells of brilliance and just as often was an idiot.) He'd heard or read that the things are afraid of laser light and will freak out and fly when confronted with a red spot. Has to do with them not understanding the moving dot. But not like cats, that want to catch it. I don't know if I've got a red dot, but I've got green ones.

Unhappy ammo seeker

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
OK, something I need to try. We once had a maintenance man (he had spells of brilliance and just as often was an idiot.) He'd heard or read that the things are afraid of laser light and will freak out and fly when confronted with a red spot. Has to do with them not understanding the moving dot. But not like cats, that want to catch it. I don't know if I've got a red dot, but I've got green ones.

He might be right.

quote:
Laser has unwanted geese seeing red
HILADELPHIA - Federal agents have started an effort to combat what they say is a regional environmental crisis: Hundreds of thousands of Canada geese excreting waste into area drinking-water reservoirs.

Rumors about the device, also known as the "laser goose-dissuader," had been flying for weeks among bird-watchers near Lake Galena in central Bucks County. It sweeps the geese off a lake like a broom, they said.

The harmless laser is perhaps the weirdest tool in the arsenal available to East Coast communities coping with an exploding Canada goose population crowding lakes, soccer fields and corporate lawns.

Federal officials would not reveal when or where the laser was to be tested.

"All I can tell you is that we are researching new bird-harassment techniques," said Jason Suckow, district supervisor for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's wildlife-services program. "This does involve lasers."

As night fell on Lake Galena recently, two U.S. government trucks could be seen parked far out on the lake's snow-covered dam.

Two Agriculture Department researchers stood nearby, counting thousands of geese as they came over the horizon in long, V-shaped waves stretching across the sky.

The geese had spent the day dining in farm fields, where they destroy an estimated $300,000 in crops each year in Bucks County alone, according to a survey conducted last year by county officials.

Now, 17,000 geese were roosted on the lake, ready to stay the night. Each bird weighs 10 to 15 pounds and can dump 1 1/2 pounds of feces a day, the Agriculture Department says. Their satisfied honking was audible a half-mile away.

The reservoir provides drinking water to thousands of homes in Bucks and Montgomery Counties. County officials say the water is perfectly safe, after thorough treatment and filtration, but they worry that giant quantities of goose feces could change that.

Firecrackers, Mylar balloons, trained dogs and other nonlethal methods are all commonly used to frighten geese off lakes and ponds. But geese are adaptable and often ignore these stimuli.

A $3,500 flashlight

Enter the laser goose-harasser. It is essentially a $3,500 flashlight that projects a powerful beam of red light designed to terrify geese at a range of 400 yards. Geese have never seen anything like it.

The laser performed excellently in indoor trials with penned birds at the Agriculture Department's National Wildlife Research Center in Sandusky, Ohio.

"It was amazing," said the Agriculture Department's Suckow. "When that dot of light would hit a great blue heron, it acted like you had physically touched it.

"But we've never tried it on Canada geese," he said. "It could flop."

By 6:30 p.m., geese carpeted an area of the lake the size of seven football fields.

Then, Jon Cepek, a Agriculture Department wildlife technician, activated the laser harasser, sending a red circle dancing across the black lake.

Furious honking erupted from the darkness. Frantic wings beat the water.

"Ooh, they don't like that," cooed Chris Croson, another Agriculture Department technician.

In the green light of Croson's night-vision goggles, it was a stunning spectacle: The laser beam shaved geese off the lake like a razor on black stubble.

Frightened geese bunched tighter and tighter - desperate to avoid the beam - until they panicked, taking flight by the hundreds.

A black cloud of birds rose above the lake, and most of them left the area entirely. Only a few stubborn stragglers stayed behind on the water.

Harmless

The laser beam is harmless, Croson said, but effective.

"They see the body next to them turning red, and they are terrified," he said. "It's pretty powerful, and it's only powered by AA batteries."

Beside him, Ron French, a local ornithologist, remained skeptical about the laser's usefulness.

"The birds aren't being harmed at all," French said. "But I don't know what this will accomplish."

French said the laser could frighten away desirable species such as barnacle geese visiting from Greenland and whitefront geese from Louisiana.

"And what's to stop the Canada geese from just coming back tomorrow?" he asked.

That night, the Agriculture Department team cleared 95 percent of the geese from the lake. Testing continued for three more nights, and by Friday, the laser goose-harasser appeared to be a success.

The number of geese that tried to land on the lake had dropped from 17,000 to 3,000, likely taking refuge in nearby farm fields.

"These birds work on an energy budget," Croson said. "It's no longer worth it to them to have to fly off that lake frightened and find a new roosting point.

"We're basically breaking their habit," he said.

Posts: 2561 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Wisconsin. They used to use low flying helicopters to disperse the geese. This was at Horicon Marsh which was a favorite stop for the geese, right on the flyway. They were a huge nuisance for the farmers.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Animals learn.

If they’re not being confronted with the fact that others are dying around them, they will become habituated to things like lasers and, I suspect, low-flying drones, etc., and learn to ignore them. I feed our winter birds and although many are skittish when I go outside, some are learning to accept my presence. I think of the fact that attacks on people by animals like mountain lions and coyotes are increasing. When they were heavily hunted and shot on sight, that sort of thing was unknown; they wanted nothing to do with people. Long ago I hunted prairie dogs for a few years. Where I hunted, every animal in sight would disappear immediately if I wasn’t extremely careful with my stalk to get within range. They ignore people where they are not hunted.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have seen string or light rope strung along sidewalks. It’s on
Y about a foot high but geese won’t hop or cross it. Given, one can no doubt land on the sidewalk but there’s no food.

The link below gives detailed instructions and has the string running along the water’s edge.

Personally I’m intrigued by the laser.

http://lacducardinal.ca/articles/Geese.pdf

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
We also have a contingency of 40~ geese in the neighborhood. Perhaps I'm in the minority, I like them and feed them when I get home. I swear they hear me coming down the street. As soon as I turn in the drive, they're flying across the lake for dinner. Not sure who has who trained...

The geese are supposed to be migratory. As in they fly north except for a few that stay around. Feeding them results in their staying put and increasing the population. If there’s no food, there’s no reason to stay around breeding a pooping.