SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RMJ Tactical Products
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RMJ Tactical Products Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at a few RMJ Tactical products and am curious as to the opinions here on the Forum from those that own/use these products.

Looking at a Jenny Wren axe for backpacking/hiking/camping use. (as well as a few other variants)

Also looking at Snuggles - well - just because its really cool.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
They have a few items I’m interested in but don’t have any.

The Sparrow being one.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hawk and 2 knives. Well made, just pricey. I have been wanting a snuggles, but all I have seen is the cuddles, smaller version. Why, just because is always my excuse.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Their metallurgy is unsurpassed. They design, make and finish all their products in their TN shop. Family operation. They have a video once the chinese copied one of their signature tomahawks (Berserker) of laying it side by side with one of theirs, picking theirs up and in one swing cutting the chinese one in half, with no damage to the edge of theirs.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I have a newer milled Shrike. It's expensive, and I haven't cut any locks with it yet Eek , but it's pretty cool.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
RMJ makes some really neat stuff. I haven't bought any of it yet but have come very close a couple of times.

With that said, I can't picture buying a (admittedly, very high-end, well-designed, and well-made) tacticool tomahawk for practical outdoors use.

For the price of an RMJ tomahawk, you could buy 2-3 Gransfors Bruk or Hults Bruk hatchets or small axes, which are hand forged by master craftsmen and represent the pinnacle of hundreds of years of design evolution of hatchets and axes used daily in exactly the kinds of outdoors tasks you're looking for a tool for. I'm not saying a Gransfors Bruk or Hults Bruk is "better" than an RMJ, just that it might be more suited to your intended use.

I'm also not trying to discourage you from buying an RMJ tomahawk. If you've got the money and think they're cool, go for it. I've got plenty of things that I bought for no better reason than that I thought they were neat (like a Zombie Tools sword). I'm just not sure it's the most practical/effective tool to take camping.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I agree with Maladat that a hatchet or small forest axe would be more optimized for outdoor and bushcraft use. Blade geometry, weight distribution, handle shape, shock absorption of a wooden handle, metallurgy, etc. all favor a hatchet or small axe over a tomahawk for bushcraft tasks.

Gransfors Bruks, Hults Bruks, and Wetterlings, make beautiful premium tools.

If you want American made, Council Tools has a line of premium bushcraft hatchets and axes now too.

Like everyone else, not a knock on RMJ. I love their designs and if I had need for a premium tactical tomahawk, theirs would be on the short list.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I still drool over their kukri.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak to their quality but I want to buy something from a company that makes a war hammer with a name of “snuggles” Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
New design, limited availability

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post