SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple refreshes the iMac line, including new iMac Pro
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple refreshes the iMac line, including new iMac Pro Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
The new iMac Pro looks like a beast with up to 18 core Xeon processor, 16GB of vRAM, 128GB of RAM and 4TB of SSD storage. 1080P camera, 10Gbit ethernet, Thunderbolt 3 ports....Starting at $4999.

I wish I needed one....

link

Of course the regular iMac line got some nice updates as well.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If we could expand this thread to include all the WWDC announcements, I'd like to say how excited I am that TV OS is going to allow for Amazon Instant Video service.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18092 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Starting at $4999

Who are they aspiring to be, Silicon Graphics... 20yrs ago...?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
The vRAM, RAM and SSD is probably 2/3's of the $5K. Apple has always been proud of their RAM.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
If we could expand this thread to include all the WWDC announcements, I'd like to say how excited I am that TV OS is going to allow for Amazon Instant Video service.

4K capable yet?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iMac Pro is an oxymoron.

I understand Apple's obsession with making things thinner, but Pro users don't care about looks. They need a box you can upgrade without tools and space for 3rd party cards.

At the very least, they need it to be rack mountable.

I'm as much a fanboy as anyone. But a $5,000 iMac? Are you kidding me????

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
They are reportedly "working on" a separate CPU box (without the monitor) as a true replacement for the current Pro.

I'm looking at getting one of the new Kaby Lake MacBook Pro 13 inch models. My Air is six years old and battery doesn't hold a charge.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! The huge multi-monitor, dual graphics card, custom water cooled, monster I could build for $5k would, in the immortal words of Jesse from the Fast and Furious, "Decimate all..." Smile That iMac pricing is insane.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
iMac Pro is an oxymoron.

I understand Apple's obsession with making things thinner, but Pro users don't care about looks. They need a box you can upgrade without tools and space for 3rd party cards.

I'm sure $5k is the starting price. I doubt 18 cores can be had at that price.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
iMac Pro is an oxymoron.

I'm sure $5k is the starting price. I doubt 18 cores can be had at that price.
And as an AIO, I'd bet heat will be an issue when you stress the CPU and GPU, which would likely result in throttling the true capability of both.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
For $10,000 maybe they'll throw in two USB Ports and a Headphone Jack.

Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
Well the G5 macs topped out at over 5k 10 years ago. So I guess it's not that crazy of a price jump. It is however way outside of my price change.

Posts: 1147 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Bah, 27" screens are so 2010, even if they are "retina". Apple needs to get moving on a new desktop box to replace the current Pro (or even an updated Mini). Let us use the full power of the graphics cards to run 4k on stand-alone larger screens, in true 4k resolution.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
With enough money and resources you can soup any OS up.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have the current iMac, with the 27" 5K display, and I still get the beachball.

The iMP looks pretty slick, however, if the cost isn't too off-putting. With Xeon support in macOS (i.e. flagged as an "acceptable" processor), it may allow application of OS updates denied to date to certain system configurations, e.g. Hackintosh, or legacy Apple hardware (Xserve).

Now let's talk about something with comparable specs, but in a rack-mount chassis, with multiple speedy external interfaces, redundant power supplies, and serious cooling... would potentially get Macs back into the 24x7 data center (Mac minis don't cut it for running multiple VM guests, even when clustered). C'mon Apple, mainstream IT will never take you seriously as a hardware supplier without considering the data center.

Posts: 6766 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I have the current iMac, with the 27" 5K display, and I still get the beachball.

The iMP looks pretty slick, however, if the cost isn't too off-putting. With Xeon support in macOS (i.e. flagged as an "acceptable" processor), it may allow application of OS updates denied to date to certain system configurations, e.g. Hackintosh, or legacy Apple hardware (Xserve).

Now let's talk about something with comparable specs, but in a rack-mount chassis, with multiple speedy external interfaces, redundant power supplies, and serious cooling... would potentially get Macs back into the 24x7 data center (Mac minis don't cut it for running multiple VM guests, even when clustered). C'mon Apple, mainstream IT will never take you seriously as a hardware supplier without considering the data center.

Curious if you ever worked with the X-serve. (I think that's what they were). 1 rack unit high, hot swapable drives, remote admin. They seemed cool although I could never justify talking my boss into one.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

Curious if you ever worked with the X-serve. (I think that's what they were). 1 rack unit high, hot swapable drives, remote admin. They seemed cool although I could never justify talking my boss into one.
Yes, a client has one. It has been running 24x7 since 2007 despit having lost a drive (replaced while running) and a power supply (ditto) during that time. Very well-built machine. OTOH, a Mac mini that was purchased about three years ago, intended as a successor to that machine (since the OS has been EOL'd on that hardware) has never been reliable enough to put into service, mostly because the attached Thunderbolt RAID array will spontaneously go off-line on a semi-regular basis.

Posts: 6766 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
New question:

Buy the new iMac or score a deal on the previous generation iMacs being dumped by people who need the latest and greatest?

Are the upgrades to the iMac line (not the Pro) worth the extra spend?

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
One consolation about it is the processor, SSD, and ram are socketed. That means they are sorta upgrade-able.. If you can actually open it up without destroying it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardow...splay+Teardown/30260

Posts: 4366 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
New question:

Buy the new iMac or score a deal on the previous generation iMacs being dumped by people who need the latest and greatest?

Are the upgrades to the iMac line (not the Pro) worth the extra spend?

Strictly speaking, it is probably not worth it 99.9999% of the time. Almost no one, at least no professionals I've ever known, except some nerds with money to burn, bother to ride the bleeding edge. It won't be 2x faster, won't get work done that much quicker, etc.

Let someone else take the depreciation hit, and be the beta tester, and all that jazz.