SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's time for the 2024 edition of the Great American Road Trip.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's time for the 2024 edition of the Great American Road Trip. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Headed up to Malone this week. This time, I'm driving my truck up, getting a Uhaul trailer there, loading it up, and coming home. ~40 hours of drive time, and over 5,200 miles. I'm gonna try to make between ten and twelve hours a day. I know there's some road trip champions scoffing at that, but I don't want to push myself too hard, nor do I want to drag this out too much.

I did some looking and was pleasantly surprised to find that the route I took last year allows me to conceal or open carry all the way right up to Mark123's place in PA. He'll hang onto my carry piece and I'll pick it up on the way out of NY and be armed the rest of the way back.

There's two tool chests, a standing drill press, welder and accoutrements, a bunch of bench-mounted essentials, a full Rock Chucker setup, powder, primers, hand tools, a parts wash, and an 85 gallon compressor hardwired to the 220 line if I can figure out how to disconnect it without killing myself or burning the garage down. There's more besides, but essentially, it's all the basic essentials for a good workshop setup.

I'm not going to bother with sight-seeing, but if anyone wants to meet up for coffee or a meal along the way, my route is taking me through Albuquerque, Amarillo, OKC, Little Rock, Nashville, Lexington, Colombus, Akron, Youngstown, Buffalo, Syracuse, Watertown and then reversed.

One thing I want to do for sure that's going to possibly sound a little weird, is stop about halfway between Newkirk and Tucumcari in New Mexico sometime late at night. Why? It's the darkest spot on the route that isn't an indian reservation, and I want to watch the stars for a while. There's better places for that and I'm planning to meet a friend from Colorado halfway in Utah sometime this coming year for a camping trip, but this is on the way. It makes the timing a little weird because that's only 8 hours out, but it's just me in the truck and the freedom of the open road. If I can make it work, it'll be worth it.

Last year, I drove a rented minivan from NY back here and I enjoyed myself a lot more than I thought I would have. Really excited to get back out and double that in my own vehicle.

Anyone else putting in a long road trip before summer's over?

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I used to drive El Paso to Tampa round trip each month. Honestly I enjoyed the solitude of the road. Road tripped everywhere from Florida to San Diego to Seattle to Chicago to Washington DC. I used to make it from El Paso to Robertsdale, AL in about 18 hours before resting a few hours to finish the 6 hours to Tampa.

I’ll be helping a friend move from Tampa back to Baltimore next month. He’s going to rent a box truck and we are going to tow a car trailer with his car on it with his earthly belongings inside the box truck. He’s already said this will be much easier than when he moved down here during a snow storm.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rt 66... Leaving N Idaho mid Sept, heading to Chicago, then hitting "The Mother Road".

Looking forward to it. Planning on being out about 3 weeks, should be a good time!

Technically, will finish up in fall, but hitting the road before this summer is officially gone.

Posts: 764 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I leave for the U.P. of MI today, 6 hour drive. I’ll stop on the way & tow up a trailer of ‘bear bait’ for a relative who does some guiding for hunters.

It’s a family visit, the dog comes with.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We are leaving Saturday to go from NC to Yellowstone NP and back over about 3 weeks. Should be about 4400 miles in our F-350 and truck camper.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Made an 11 hour drive from Colorado Springs to Alpine last Friday and have just about now recovered my ability to stand up straight. Colorado and northern NM are in good shape but Roswell and points South sure need some rain.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We just got back from WY a couple of weeks ago. It was fun and put about 4500 miles on the Suburban, going there and back plus all the driving around that we did out there. We drove straight through on the return trip...about 22 hours. I'm kinda sad it's over, I enjoy being on the road, especially once I get west of the Mississippi. Enjoy your trip and safe travels!

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I used to drive El Paso to Tampa round trip each month. Honestly I enjoyed the solitude of the road.

Having done Houston > LA a few times, that stretch from SA > El Paso is pretty tough. Absolutely nothing for miles.
First time we did it, IIRC the speed limit is/was 80, set the cruise at 97 [kept it under 100 Wink] and passed maybe 6 cars in 3 hours [I think it was 9-midnight or so]

We did Houston > Denver for Christmas a couple years ago, via Amarillo & through the OK panhandle.
Other than an hour of crazy crosswind in pitch black darkness [northbound southeast of Denver, maybe on 287] it was a nice drive.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the middle of a road trip to Colorado. Kentucky is home and I drive to Colorado, Utah or a bit north or south most years. Yesterday I summited Mt Harvard near Buena Vista. My seventh 14’er. It was a tough one. I enjoy the big changes of scenery across the plains, mountains, red rock. I make time to visit attractions, big and small, along the route and try to drive new roads when practical.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 398 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
my route is taking me through Albuquerque, Amarillo, OKC, Little Rock, Nashville, Lexington, Colombus, Akron, Youngstown, Buffalo, Syracuse, Watertown and then reversed.

Anyone else start channeling Johnny Cash.....

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I cannot be the only one that thinks 5,200 miles in 40 hours is a little ambitious especially once you hitch up the U-Haul trailer.

Not really road trips, but I made 8 trips to the airport from our house in MI: 3 to Detroit and 5 to Flint. Each Detroit is 9 hours round trip and each Flint is 7 hours round trip.

I made two trips up from Florida and one trip back. I’ll be making a second trip back in a month or so. One way is 1,520 miles. I do it in 2 days. The last trip back was easier with my 17 year old son driving half the time.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I cannot be the only one that thinks 5,200 miles in 40 hours is a little ambitious especially once you hitch up the U-Haul trailer.
5200 miles / 40 hours = 130 miles per hour. More likely, I think the OP is talking about 5200 miles round trip and 40 hours for one way. At 65 miles per hour that is still aggressive unless stops for fuel, food, etc are excluded from the time.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
About 6500-7000 miles count if they are all 11-13 round trips to a new cabin in AL since late April?

It's a 5 hour drive, so just long enough to get old from time to time.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
5200 miles / 40 hours = 130 miles per hour. More likely, I think the OP is talking about 5200 miles round trip and 40 hours for one way. At 65 miles per hour that is still aggressive unless stops for fuel, food, etc are excluded from the time.

Correct, 5,200 miles total, there and back. Only half the trip will have a trailer.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Not too long of a trip, but we are driving Chicago to Philadelphia at the end of August for my newest grandchild's baptism.

I had wanted to a detour on the way there by diverting into upstate New York to camp for a few days, then stop and camp for a few days in the Allegheny Nat'l Forest on the way back.

Unfortunately, the wife has commitments both before and after which means we can only camp for 2 nights on the way back. It was only after I kept getting my reservation rejected on the recreation.gov website that I realized I was trying to book a site over the Labor Day weekend and the Feds require a 3-night reservation.

I ended up finding a state campground in western Pennsylvania, so at least we'll get a couple of nights camping in.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

October/November count? Heading back to NY as well...in my truck. Taking my daughter to a concert that she'll remember for the rest of her life.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I just got home from a 3 week drive from Columbia SC out to Brinnon Wa. (Hood Canal). That was a 6500 mile round trip. We did an even longer though similar trip last year that was 7600.

The US is an awesome country to see!

Posts: 2913 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I get tired just driving Eugene to Portland.....

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6409 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Having done Houston > LA a few times, that stretch from SA > El Paso is pretty tough. Absolutely nothing for miles.
First time we did it, IIRC the speed limit is/was 80, set the cruise at 97 [kept it under 100 Wink] and passed maybe 6 cars in 3 hours [I think it was 9-midnight or so]

Oh yeah, once you get west of Kerrville, it's quite desolate. Just a handful of small towns such as Fort Stockton, Sierra Blanca, Ozona, Junction, etc.

I actually used to take I-10 to I-20 and cut through the DFW way to avoid SA, Houston and I-10/12 in Louisiana. Would cut through Mississippi on US49 from Jackson, MS to Gulfport, MS.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Used to drive from Littleton Colorado to St.Augustine Florida every year to visit the folks, usually with atleast one dog. Always tried to get 1000 miles the first day because my vacation time was limited. Took 2 1/2 days. The way back sometimes took 2 days. If your hauling a trailer like I have occasionally it will take you longer, slower speeds etc. Plus Ive had a blow out on a Uhaul so expect unexpected delays.

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post