SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone traveled to Norway, and hiked the Kjerag?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Has anyone traveled to Norway, and hiked the Kjerag? Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted
In the interest of living more (I'm pretty introverted, and quite a stay at home with a book type), I am taking up the invitation to accompany my sister on a trip to the land of our ancestors. A bucket list destination to me.

One of her goals is to step onto the famed rock that is there. Not going to do that, nooo way (look it up!). Fear of heights. I've been to Pikes Peak, CO, and though it is much higher the ascent is gradual. The hike up Kjerag looks tame and there are chain ropes on the rockier sections. I'd just like to know if anyone has hiked it, and if there are sections of the trail that border on the edges of sheer drops which would definitely reduce me to a frightened mess.

May be a long shot, just looking for info. Don't want to gear up for a hike when I should bring a book and sit in the car at the base Eek Big Grin

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have been to Norway, and we were going to take a flight over for the weekend but being winter we were advised against it. I'm told that even with the chain guides, certain sections of the climb ate still quite strenuous.
If the travel bug still gets you, Norway is a beautiful country and the people ate quite friendly. English is a second or third language for most over there. The only drawback is Norway is expensive. If it wasn't for my Per Diem I wouldn't have had nearly as good of a time.
A way to offset that is if you fly Iceland Air, they had an extend layover program that allowed you to stay up to one week in Iceland with no difference in the airfare fee. So you could do one week in Norway, one week in Iceland, and the differences in price sort of evened the trip out.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Expensive is the word to remember when you go into a bar, buy a couple of ordinary Scotches, and come out dazed and wondering just how you can spend $40 so quickly...

Most of the native stuff, like Akvavit, has to be drunk quickly else it eats through the glass, so I'm told.

When I used to go there for a three-week-long skiing 'holiday', it was courtesy of the Queen, who liked the thought that her soldiers would enjoy learning to ski 50km cross-country and freeze their parts off whilst 'seeing the world'.

Having started off on a little set of skis at age two or something, I just used it to get some well-deserved rest from getting killed in Northern Ireland.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the tips, gents. On the occasions that I travel, I pad the wallet, so to speak, so a surplus of funds is available. Going to start learning the language to ease interaction with the locals. From looking at limited photos of the path, the physical hike up shouldn't be a problem, my concern is any sections of the path that resemble mountain hikes with "don't look down" areas.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105: Going to start learning the language to ease interaction with the locals.

Don't bother. They'll only laff at you. 'sides, they ALL speak English these days. You'd have to talking to somebody in their 80's whose knowledge of the language was not all it might be. It has been compulsory in schools since the mid-50's.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no need to try and learn the language too much. There's no Rosetta Stone for Norse for a reason (It's damn near impossible!).

You'll most likely fly into Oslo and then need to take a regional aircraft over toward the West coast. I'd recommend going by air. If there is one thing lacking in Norway it's a straight highway system!
If you have time, take a day in Tønsberg (about 2 hours south of Oslo. Its a beautiful town with a lot of history. They build true Viking ships there Saga Oseberg and the castle remnants are well documented and preserved. Well worth a day IMO.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
In the interest of living more (I'm pretty introverted, and quite a stay at home with a book type), I am taking up the invitation to accompany my sister on a trip to the land of our ancestors. A bucket list destination to me.

One of her goals is to step onto the famed rock that is there. Not going to do that, nooo way (look it up!). Fear of heights. I've been to Pikes Peak, CO, and though it is much higher the ascent is gradual. The hike up Kjerag looks tame and there are chain ropes on the rockier sections. I'd just like to know if anyone has hiked it, and if there are sections of the trail that border on the edges of sheer drops which would definitely reduce me to a frightened mess.

May be a long shot, just looking for info. Don't want to gear up for a hike when I should bring a book and sit in the car at the base Eek Big Grin

I can't comment about the Kjerag, but I strongly encourage you to go. Do it. You won't regret it.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Report This Post