SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2009 GMC Duramax Question, Won't Start
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2009 GMC Duramax Question, Won't Start Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Came home tonight after running an errand and unloaded my truck in the garage. Went back out to turn it around and on my way back into the garage I lost all power for a second, then it came back on, then died. I put it in park, turn the key off, then tried starting it again and it cranks like it wants to start, but will not. Fuel filter has 91% life left, batteries are just over a year old, starter seems to be working. I don't have a code reader so.... Any recommendations? I've got just south of 150K miles on it and it is a bone stock factory truck.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Is the money light on?

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Is the money light on?

It's been on for a year or so. Needs new glow plugs and I get a warning "Service Trailer Brake System" even though I haven't had a trailer hooked up to it in a few years. Neither of these are new issues and I drive it daily.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
When my glow plugs went south mine would not start just turn over.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely post. I have an 08 Duramax (105K miles) with a similar issue. Happened last summer three times. Once I was able to jump it and recharge battery, ran fine, no worries. 2nd time was a month or so later and we determined batteries were old and needed replaced. Happened a third time the week after new batteries but then started the following day. Dealer kept it for a week after that test starting/driving it off and on and never missed a beat.

Fast forward to this summer and it wouldn't start again about 6 weeks ago. hooked it up for a jump start and it wouldn't budge. After multiple failures I gave it a 30ish second one more try desperation crank and it finally turned over and got me home. Took it straight to dealer and everything's fine on the computer check. I'm fearful of being stranded again so tell them to just pick the most likely suspect and replace it so they replace the starter. All is good but last weekend same thing happened. Had a loaded box trailer in a narrow parking lot moving a college child and it wouldn't start, wouldn't jump. Went for lunch to cool off and lower my blood pressure. Went back an hour later and after the 30 second "I don't care if I kill the batteries" crank it started.

Found a new mechanic to take a look on the recommendation of a friend. His business has higher mileage diesel trucks running deliveries all across the country on a daily basis so I figured he had to have a good mechanic. New guy says there's a history of a leak in the fuel system of these engines which can cause them to suck in air rather than fuel. Again, couldn't reproduce it but he replaced the fuel filter housing and we're hoping the problem's resolved.

Not sure if that's your issue but my lesson through this was to not always blame the electrical side for a vehicle that won't turn over. Commonality in retrospect was a 30-40 minute drive on a warm day followed by a few hours sitting in a driveway/parking lot before the nonstart occurred. I'll be curious if your truck fires up in the morning without a problem. Best of luck getting to the bottom of it. It's sure a sinking feeling being stranded in inconvenient places!

Posts: 181 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: October 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
mlquin,

Not the first time I've heard someone note the fuel filter housing as a potential issue. Was surfing some other sites, but think they were talking about slightly older GMS's like 2002-2005. Not sure if there's a difference or not. Either way, this truck is really starting to piss me off. I've sunk nearly $3500 into it over the past 2 years on what I consider stupid stuff that should not have broke. If Toyota would build a freaking Diesel in the USA, I'd buy one tomorrow!

SSgt USMC/Vet, I'll check the glow plug issue too. Been putting it off to have a local guy replace them for me. He works on diesels for side money and I know two guys who has used him with outstanding results.

----------

Picture of sideways85
posted Hide Post
My 2009 would do that after pulling heavy. Replaced the filter housing and it hasnt done it again in 2 years.

Posts: 672 | Location: Cleburne, TX | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My 06 Duramax did the same thing. In my case it was the fuel filter housing.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29727 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filter being at 91% is no guarantee. One bad tank of fuel will plug one quickly.

Filter head was the same on all 6.6 duramaxes in the pickups from 2001 until 2010 and maybe later. I have had to rebuild mine in my 2006 twice. As others have mentioned there are seals in it that wear out and begin to suck air. There are kits available many places and its not a difficult job. Here is where I purchased mine.
https://www.merchant-automotiv...-Kit-LB7-LLY-LBZ-LMM

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Curious if this got resolved

Posts: 29727 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I missed this. It's probably too late now, but find the priming button on top of the fuel filter housing. Try to press it down. If it moves, you have air in the system. You can try repeatedly pressing the button until it firms up and try to start the engine. If it tries but still fails, follow the bleeding procedure with the little plastic plug next to the priming button. It has a slot for a flat screwdriver in it, but this tends to break it, so use a socket, extension and ratchet of the appropriate size. If it now starts, the fuel filter housing needs resealed or replaced.

Posts: 28006 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
For anyone who wanted to know it was indeed the Fuel Filter Housing that needed replaced. Pumping it several times allowed me to get it running again temporarily. Been fixed now.

----------

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Good to know.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've sunk nearly $3500 into it over the past 2 years on what I consider stupid stuff that should not have broke. If Toyota would build a freaking Diesel in the USA, I'd buy one tomorrow!

$3500 vs $65,000, not a great trade off even if you spent $3500 a year for the next 5 years you'll be ahead with the current vehicle, and none of the nanny state electronics on the new vehicles.

When I look at all the digital computer driven and operated parts of a new truck it's concerning the long term ownership costs and difficult parts availability in the post covid strike environment...

Glad you got it straightened out..

Posts: 23580 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Good timing as I just bought a 2004 LB7 Duramax with 204,000 miles from my neighbor. LB7 had a problem with injectors failing, and it's a bit of a PITA to replace them. Book time is around 12 - 15 hours I think. I'm doing it in my driveway. I bought a master kit from Lincoln Diesel for about $3,000. Includes all 8 injectors, a lift pump and everything you need to do the job. I'm just about done.

I was watching the video below on youtube about the history of the duramax and the changes from version to version. The amount of emissions crap on the newer ones (L5P) is unbelievable. My 2004 is pretty bare bones in the engine compartment. Looking at the video, you can't even see major parts of the engine any more. I can't imagine doing injectors on the latest iteration.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post