SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About Lawn Fertilizer Type: Updated Pg 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About Lawn Fertilizer Type: Updated Pg 2 Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
What kind of grass? What area of the country and climate?

A "cool season grass" like a fescue type grass common here is St. Louis, should have a high nitrogen fertilizer.

A warm season grass, like Bermuda or zoysia grass, should be higher in potassium, especially in the early season.

Point is, we would need to know what climate area you are in, and what type of grass in order to answer this question.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m in PA, cool season type grass here

It’s mainly turf type tall fescue and some Kentucky 31 fescue

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Use a high nitrogen fertilizer, if I recall that is usually the first number. I would use a slow release granual fert with summer Temps coming. If you put down fertilizer in the summer, WATER IT!!!!!!!

30 mins twice a week.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I reread the OP. I would advise against using liquid any time except early spring or late fall. Liquid goes into the soil quickly and will burn up the lawn. The hotter Temps are the more water grass needs. The more fertilizer you use, also the more water grass needs. You are much more likely to burn it with liquid this time of year.

If you put down fertilizer now, you need a half inch to an inch of water per week, preferably an inch. Thats a lot, especially if you have a big yard.

posted Hide Post
I've had success with Scott's, a few years ago my yard was in horrible condition but over the past year its looking better but still needs work. Scott's has a online program where you enter your zip code answer a few questions and the program recommends a few products. So far it has worked for me but you have to make sure you put down the correct amount otherwise like you and I already learned you kill your grass as well as the weeds.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I plan to use the type that screws onto your hose and you just spray it on, I am really nervous about burning and killing my lawn with one of those spreaders and the powdered type stuff.

Didn't notice that at first.

Use this. It is a foliar feeding.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...-25-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Then also apply some powdered Potasium Sulfate, which won't burn.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Father-in-law bought 4 bags of Amonium Nitrate -- spread all 4 bags of 36-0-0 on the lawn and by golly you could sit on the porch and HEAR it grow

^^^^^^^^^^
Gotta watch those purchases. I wonder at what level ATF gets informed. I used it once and had to cut the lawn twice per week. Grass grows but does not develop good root structure.

Don't think the ATF -- or anyone for that matter -- worried too much in the mid 70's.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
As others suggested, don't fear granular products. Refine your application skills.

I'm not sure what part of PA is home for you. Lebanon Turf from...Lebanon, PA makes a great range of products. Their 22-0-14 with 5% iron will suit you well. The iron will give the grass a very dense green color and the nutrient blend is right for your soil needs. Check with a non-big box garden supply for that particular fertilizer or a similar product from a different manufacturer.

I use the same fertilizer for fall feedings with great results. Very affordable, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Budlum,

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
Father-in-law bought 4 bags of Amonium Nitrate -- spread all 4 bags of 36-0-0 on the lawn and by golly you could sit on the porch and HEAR it grow.

Had to mow every other day all summer long but it WAS green.

Crack Lawns. They're good while they're "high", but damn they crash and burn hard. Better to go with the long term plan of improving soil quality over the long term.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Good point wrightd

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So I decided to just do it, got this from Amazon:

Sprayed it on early Friday morning the day after my lawn guy cut the grass then watered it in really really well. Directions stated to water in within 48 hours. I realized I used a little more than I should have, 1/3 of the bottle instead of 1/4 but my soil was so nitrogen depleted there I think it was fine. I had done two more soil tests of two different sections of this lawn and the nitrogen was coming up as basically non existent and the potash was low. Phosphorus and PH came up reading good.

Nearly 5 days later it's starting to green up nicely, I think my lawn was like a starving man being thrown a loaf of bread!

Now I just need to focus on long-term re-nourishment of this soil now that I've given it something to start living on again. What does the forum lawn experts suggest for that? The lawn seems to need nitrogen and potash but the phosphorus and PH are fine. No idea on iron? Again, just because I'm gun-shy about spreaders and the dry stuff, I'd like to stick to liquids for this. They make slow release type liquids I'd imagine too?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
natureslawn.com offers good organic products.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again, just because I'm gun-shy about spreaders and the dry stuff, I'd like to stick to liquids for this. They make slow release type liquids I'd imagine too?

Spreaders are fine, just be sure to have it set properly for the application and to water in the product if required.

Usually give a 10 to 15 min per zone water in, so I know it's gotten wet and properly watered in, right before summer storms is good, you don't want a gully washer to flush it all down the sewer.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How is this stuff? Seems to have good reviews, I'm looking to stock up on something that is a slow release and more organic/non chemical for putting down in the fall. Also read that it's hard to burn your lawn with this stuff? That's a huge selling point for me:

The quick release liquid I bought has really done a great job and my grass is grateful but I understand that's like feeding it sugar syrup and I need to eventually start feeding it grain.

Is this stuff really made from people poop? Big Grin

Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
Milorganite is an excellent organic fertilizer and, yes, it stinks! It's not impossible, but very, very difficult to burn a lawn with Milorganite. The iron will give the grass a very deep green color. The only downfall is the low 6% nitrogen content if you plan to use it for main feeding applications. One 32 lb bag per 2,500 sqft is alot of product for larger lawns.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Is this stuff really made from people poop? Big Grin
Yes and more. It's all of the heavy ends from a sewer treatment plant and has been branded as BioSolids. It's completely unregulated on what can be in it (e.g. EPA has found 352 pollutants in it), and can kill lawns, gardens, and livestock if somebody dumped something in the sewer system. The sewer systems do nothing to remove the chemicals from the "BioSolids". See this article in the Guardian .

It's also the wrong N-P-K based on your stated soil test results. The N is good, but it has P which your lawn doesn't need and is missing the K which your lawn needs.

Personally, if I were the OP I'd periodically put on the 15-0-15 until bottle gone. Then, in late winter/early spring do another soil test, and pick a new 2023 fertilizer based on it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I would use a slow release granular fert with summer Temps coming. If you put down fertilizer in the summer, WATER IT!!!!!!!

I agree with Kevin. I did a crabgrass in early spring and a weed-feed late spring. I'm avoiding putting down fertilizer again until fall. I don't want have to use too much water.

Also, at this time of year I can delay my mowing a bit since it's growing slower and didn't have to hire someone when I was on vacation.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post