SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember the Alamo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember the Alamo Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
REMEMBER THE ALAMO

On March 6, 1836, the Alamo and its gallant defenders fell to Santa Anna’s Mexican Army. In the Alamo’s darkest hour, the last full company to fight their way past Mexican soldiers into the fortress was a group of thirty-two men from Gonzales. Led by returning Alamo defender Captain Albert Martin and his Texas scout John W. Smith, this group included a small, separate company of Texas Rangers under Second Lieutenant George C. Kimbell. Lieutenant Colonel William Barrett Travis, commanding the Alamo forces, acknowledged that the Gonzales men did reinforce him.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
First trip we took the Tomminator to since we moved to Texas.

Brave men indeed.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Remember the Alamo!

Remember Goliad!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goliad ... Alamo ... San Jacinto

Texas my Texas

Always and Forever

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to the alamo. It's a miracle that Santa Anna didn't get killed by the traffic.

You take your life in your hand trying to cross the street down there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I've been to the alamo. It's a miracle that Santa Anna didn't get killed by the traffic.

Or distracted by the Ripley's Believe It Or Not "museum."

(The Alamo is in downtown SA. The Alamo park is nice, and very well done. But it is right in the touristy part of town.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I met some of the reenactors at Washington-on-the -Brazos this last Saturday, and I was surprised they reenactment all of these battles. Of course it makes since, but I just didn't continue the thought.

"Remember the Alamo!"

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The first time I went to San Antonio, I stayed in the Marriott in the middle of downtown. I had no idea where the Alamo was and just assumed that it was out in the middle of nowhere. I asked the clerk at the front desk where I needed to go to catch a bus to the Alamo. She got a little smile on her face and told me to go out the front doors, turn left, walk to the end of the block and turn left, then she said at that point I'd figure it out. I did as she said and was floored that it was right there in front of me. I had no idea it was in the center of town. Anyway, it is worth seeing first hand and you can't help but imagine what it was like for the defenders. Inspiring story with a huge historic significance for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You take your life in your hand trying to cross the street down there.

Well if your gonna be waiting for a battle may as well enjoy yourself down by the Riverwalk.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 496 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Years ago a colleague corrected me when I said “State of Texas”. He said “Son, it’s the Empire of Texas”. Smile

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't someone write that Texas is a state of mind?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I’ll be visiting Goliad & Fannin tomorrow.

As overgrown & commercialized as the Alamo has become, Goliad is the exact opposite.

To think that we as a people have gone from fighting against a fascist dictator & his imperial army to now fighting make-believe misogyny & Russian “collusion” sickitates me.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Stayed at the Menger many, many times. You won't have far to walk.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It's been at least 35 years since I visited it. What I remember being struck with is that it is much smaller than I had expected.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
I’ll be visiting Goliad & Fannin tomorrow.

As overgrown & commercialized as the Alamo has become, Goliad is the exact opposite.

The battlefield & fort/church are really off the beaten path, but well worth the drive. Last time I was there the Church still had an active services. Very pretty Church. With a little imagination one can visually how the Alamo would like looked in 1836.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Will be at the Alamo today!
First trip to Texas, later. I intend to visit Texas Jack's, the Cimarron store in the hill country.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Will be at the Alamo today!
First trip to Texas, later. I intend to visit Texas Jack's, the Cimarron store in the hill country.

Cheers, BillyBonesNY. Enjoy it.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Or distracted by the Ripley's Believe It Or Not "museum."
Or get pissed off by all the GD rental scooters and retreat.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23316 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to visit about 15 years ago. Quite a solemn place.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post