SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    40 lube check points every 1000 miles on my 1962 GMC K1000 4WD Suburban
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 lube check points every 1000 miles on my 1962 GMC K1000 4WD Suburban Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
It has 28 grease fittings, 7 lube check points on axles, transfer case, transmission and steering gear. 3 on distributor: oil cup, breaker cam, points pivot. 2 oil cups on generator. All on a 1000 mile schedule.

If maintained according to schedule, that's 4000 lube operations at 100,000 miles on top of all the longer interval operations such as oil and filter changes, front wheel bearings and axle gear oil changes, rear axle lube changes, transmission and transfer case changes, and oil bath air cleaner servicing. Probably those might add another 100-200 lube operations by 100K miles. Not including daily engine oil level checks on the maintainence schedule.

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Do all that and we'll have to start calling you 'LubeSlinger'... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8947 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Daily oil level checks? How much oil does that thing consume? Razz

No wonder GM went to "lubricated for life" fittings!

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Missionary I use to know in Mozambique bought a Toyota Landcruiser years ago (about 2007) from Asia with 80K miles on it. It had NEVER had an oil change. It was running still up to a few years ago, when one of his local buddies crashed it.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
1962 GMC K1000 4WD Suburban

That's an awesome vehicle to have, imagine keeping things greased is imperative since things made in 62 were not made to todays tolerances.

Got any pictures to post of it?

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are operating a steam locomotive.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had a 1964 C10 with a grease fitting on every part of the steering and suspension, plus on three u-joints. I also had a 1984 C20, same note, minus the u-joints (they were sealed). Not every 1000 miles, though. Every oil change is sufficient, unless you're also doing that every 1000 miles too.

Posts: 27987 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post