SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for info on an engraving machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for info on an engraving machine Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I just upped the anti a bit with my Class III FFL..I'm now a manufacturer as well. One thing I did not anticipate was having to actually own an engraver. Any firearm that I "make" has to be engraved with my business info to a depth of .003". I tried to inquire about using an engraver that was at another dealer location....no go without a variance, paperwork, yada yada. When I'm inspected someday they can ask to see the engraver from what I understand, so there's not much getting around it. I know squat about engravers. I've looked online some, but most of what I'm finding is for plastic or wood?? Obviously I don't want to shell out anymore money than I have to. Suggestions?

Thanks!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Does this have to be a person or can you use a laser?

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yes...sorry, an automated type laser engraver. Definitely not done by hand with a dremel. Lol

quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Does this have to be a person or can you use a laser?

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Not knowing enough about laser personally but I wonder if a laser would be able to meet the .003 parameter?
I know a rotary device could....my CNC router certainly can engrave to any depth required but they aren’t cheap....mine is a middle model and cost 5k

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search Gorton (American made) or Deckel (German made) Engraver

Both are manual machines, cut like a small milling machine and trace previously made letters and numbers. Another term for the machine is a pantograph. It is the manual version of what Cgode has. The CNC machines made all these obsolete.I paid less than a thousand for a good working machine and several sets of letters.

This will easily hold a receiver and put whatever you want into the metal. Did exactly that for something I built. Easy to use and letter sizes can be changed by adjusting the machine. As an example, I think the master letters are 3/4” high. The machine can be adjusted to shrink the results as much as 16:1.

Original masters can be fabricated as well - ie “monograms”, etc.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Yes...sorry, an automated type laser engraver. Definitely not done by hand with a dremel. Lol

Why not? That's how PW Arms does their P6s. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10794 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank y’all for the input... sorry I wasn’t around to monitor my post today. Both of my elderly parents are fighting covid.