SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Losing Parents and Feelings of Guilt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Losing Parents and Feelings of Guilt Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted
My folks never caught a break. My dad worked for his dad for years at the mall in the town where I grew up. My grandfather and grandmother were one-third of the ownership. The other two-thirds were silent and my grandparents earned their third by building and running the business into what became a $10 million dollar operation.

My dad was to be promoted from superintendent to manager after they retired. When my grandparents passed in the mid 90's, the other two partners sold the business to a friend for $100,000 and later bought it back from him for the same amount. After a lengthy court battle my father and his three siblings came away with a $60,000 settlement. BTW, one of the reasons the other partners didn't want my dad to run the place is because he often spoke out against their shady business practices. I can't decide whether that's ironic or not.

They had bad financial and employment breaks pretty much the rest of their lives. It was staggering to me how many bad things kept happening to them. My dad was a truck driver and ended up going to Iraq and driving as a contractor there for five years to dig themselves out of the hole.

I lost my mother in May unexpectedly. We spent months sorting things out and helping my father sell their home and Mom's vehicle so he could be financially stable. We helped him move into an apartment and got him settled in. He passed away in his apartment Tuesday just the way my mom did - alone.

While he was still working at the mall, the local cops called him, "Batman," because he was always coming to someone's aid. I watched him literally smack more than a few men down in the 80's who truly had it coming. Things were a little different then.

In the end, no one was there to rescue them including me. I'd spent so many years worrying about them and helping them when I could. Now, I really feel bad because I mostly just find myself relieved that they are not suffering anymore and there's nothing anyone can ever do to hurt them again. I feel guilty in that relief, though. I know people have been through this and I know it's normal. I know it will fade with time, but for now, I'm really struggling with these feelings. Yet, I am a relieved just typing this. Thank you, my SF friends.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
That's rough. When loved ones pass it's natural to question all of our actions, relationship, shoulda/coulda, etc. It's natural but it still sucks.

Maybe think about how your parents would want you to feel. They would want you to be happy and not worry about things over which you have no control. You need to forgive yourself, forgive them, and go on.

Condolences.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Warren, I am very sorry to hear about your loss, and yes, your feelings are normal. Sounds like your dad was a great guy. My dad passed exactly 2 weeks before his only grand-child was born. I was fortunate to see my dad and talk about the important things that needed to be said before he passed. However, I still had some regrets and feelings of guilt, for things done and un-done. There came a time when I could be alone and visit with him in my thoughts. It was then I realized, he didn't want me to feel guilty. I'll put you and your parents in my prayers.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5012 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences. And you are not alone. I was estranged from my entire family and all are now dead. Even if I was able to, I dont think I would change how i interacted with them. I dont regret the circumstances, but I wish it could have been different. I do have one regret: I did not talk enough with family while was growing up and as a young adult. There are so many questions I should have asked and didnt. They will never be answered. Your father sounds like a man of integrity, so I hope you can find some comfort in remembering him that way.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not alone.
My GF went through this last year with her mother. They found her deceased sitting on the living room floor. She was alone and really didn't have any money. It was one of those situations we all hear about where a person has to choose between eating or buying meds.

I know the GF sent her money every month to help her get by. She had a lot of health problems and her last few years were rough.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My condolences. Losing your parents is a painful, stressful time, all sorts of emotions that are hard to control.

My parents have passed years ago. My father also did not have the easiest life; my mother once said things were just out of his grasp. For the next 10 years after he passed, my wife and I did whatever we could for Mom, take her to nice places that were out of her reach in the past, trying to make life easier for her.

They both taught me a tremendous amount, and I'm sure to their relief, my life right now is a bit more comfortable than their lives, which most parents dream for their children. I still think of them all of the time.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17192 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about your mom and dad.

Q

Posts: 27606 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
When my grandmother passed I remember my mom saying she was relieved that she was gone. I was 17 at the time and didn’t understand, I was irritated at my mom for awhile for saying it. As time went by I came to understand the sentiment behind the statement, my grandmother was only 73, when she passed, she had led a hard life, she suffered from pernicious anemia her entire life and she had fallen and broken her pelvis, at her age and with her physical condition it would never improve, it was a constant, grinding deep agony. So, it was for the best that she was released from her suffering and I can wrap my head around what mom said all those years ago. Grieve for the loss of your parents, but do NOT feel any guilt or remorse that you are relieved that their travails are at an end, you have nothing to feel guilt over.

Posts: 12237 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you were a good son to your parents. There is no shame in feeling better they won't have to struggle through life anymore. Celebrate the life and love they had, don't mourn what could or should have been.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are 100% correct, your mother and father are no longer in pain.

If there is a heaven, I bet they're both looking down on you, with pride.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enidpd, I lost my Mom 2 weeks ago and feel the same way you do. I guess it's natural. Now as I reflect I wonder if I could have been a better son. I wonder if I could have, should have done more. I don't think so but I do have my doubts. She lived about 60 miles away so between work and the other commitments in my life I just wasn't able to visit her as much as I probably should have. Maybe one day we will both stop punishing ourselves and realize we did all we could. I hope so.

Posts: 5795 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I lost my Mom about 9 years ago. I was raised by a single Mom and do not know who my father is. Unfortunately my Mom had a stroke and was not the woman that I grew up with and I didn't make time to ask her about the things that I wanted to know. I regret to this day that i didn't make a little more time for her.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3730 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the passing of your dad. I had feelings of remorse when my dad died many years ago, because he had had strokes 11 years earlier and during all his declining health my mom dutifully cared for him--it nearly killed her; I felt relieved that she was no longer having to deal with that (and her health did improve), but I also felt guilty that I felt that way. (I had provided some assistance during the last 4 years of his life--they lived near me then--but I was still working and couldn't be with them constantly.) When my mom died, she was living in a nursing home in a city remote to me and she really wanted to come live with me; my circumstances--living alone and still working, with a 2-story home--just would not have worked for that. Naturally, I felt guilty that I couldn't honor her wishes. I was able to be with her at the time of her death, but I'm not sure she really knew I was there.

We all have guilty feelings when our parents die, and we no longer have to worry about them and their care. It is normal, and one never really gets completely over it (I haven't). You will need to remember the good times with your dad and the things you did together. I'm sure he is at peace, and you should be, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
So sorry you have experienced this point in life. I find, from time to time thoughts of regret and disappointment for not having invested more time before my folks were gone. I was busy raising 4 kids and working hard, just like they did. We come full circle it seems.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Re-read your post. You did much to support your parents. We can always find fault with ourselves for not doing "enough". Sometimes enough is showing up and caring. You did that and more.

My parents passed 15 years ago. Sometimes, at sunset the sky is SkyBluePinkandPurple, a color my dad invented. I say hi to my dad and mom when I see it. Curious, there has always been dust in the air when it happens.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
From your OP you believe they are in a place where they no longer have to struggle and no one can hurt them anymore. This should fill your heart with joy. Don't confuse that joy with feeling relieved.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3903 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
As a father of three myself, the thing I believe every parent wants is for their kids to do and be better off then they were and the last thing I want is for them to have to worry about me. Just because you may have not been there when your dad passed doesn't mean that you didn't love each other. Most of us don't get to pick our time to depart this Earth, and believe me when I tell you it is much better for your father that this happened quickly then to have been drug out over several years. It sucks, but life goes on and it will get better.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3649 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My condolences Warren.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What you are going through is natural and normal. Don't beat yourself up for it. My condolences.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post