SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who here is a Samsung Galaxy phone wizard?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here is a Samsung Galaxy phone wizard? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
My trusty S7 decided today would be the day to act up. The symptom is that it won't boot fully. After a call this morning, I slipped the phone into my pocket as usual. Grabbed it to send a message a bit later and had nothing but black screen and blue indicator.

I did some asking and surfing, and found the "hold down Power and VolumeDown, and it will turn off" soft reset advice. I can do that, but it never fully turns off.

I have a method for the hard reset, but it a) will wipe out all my contacts (yes, I know... it's my own foul, not having a backup), and b) the method requires that the S7 is completely off and no indicators are lit. But I can't make this S7 shut down completely. I could leave it off the charger overnight... that ought to kill it, I suppose.

Meanwhile... I'm wondering if there's any other method to get the thing to either start or shut down. Right now it seems to be in electronic limbo.

I'm at a loss, and realizing how much I've depended on this little bugger.

Any ideas how to crack into this egg and at least export my contacts?

Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
VT,

I have the S22 now, had the S7 couple years ago, so I forget, does that one have the removable battery still?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, this one's [relatively] sealed.

I'm sure one can get to the battery, but it's not a "user serviceable" part. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13512 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long are you holding the Power and VolumeDown ??? Try holding it for at least 30 seconds. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have you considered...

...an iPhone?

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Satan resides on the dark side! Big Grin

Seriously iPhones are made in China. Samsung android units are not.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... so perhaps, a firmware issue, or an issue with an installed app.

Okay, let's be sure of the safe mode access:

- Press and hold the Power key.
- Samsung Galaxy S7 logo appears, release the Power key and thenimmediately hold the volume down key.
- Continue holding the Volume Down key until it finishes its rebooting.
- When “Safe mode” appears on the screen immediately release the Volume Down key.

?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Have you considered...

...an iPhone?

Ugh. I'm issued an iPhone at work. I hate it.
I made the effort to figure out call forwarding, so I don't have to carry the vile thing around. And I can turn that feature off when I want to, allowing work-related calls to be filtered to voicemail. Cool

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Okay, let's be sure of the safe mode access:

Have tried; haven't been able to achieve yet.

I did -- briefly -- this morning get it to show tiny blue text at the top left saying something about safe reboot. I thought I'd made progress, but I thing the Android gods were just using it as an opportunity to laugh at me. The only thing that followed was a black screen and blue indicator.

God bless America.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Samsung android units are not.
Are not what?

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Samsung android units are not.
Are not what?

Are not made in China but in Taiwan.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^ Same thing

Posts: 5340 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My Samsung Galaxy S22 was made in S. Korea.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
^^ Same thing

You're kidding right? Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
My Samsung Galaxy S22 was made in S. Korea.

Yeah, it seems some are now also being made there as well as Vietnam. Still Samsung cellphones are NOT made in CCP China like Apful!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well, it's an S7. Not trying to be rude, but we are talking what now, 6 or 7 year old tech? In the phone world, that's about 2 lifetimes.

This past spring, Samsung was offerring a trade in where you could give back ANY galaxy phone and get 800 in credit. You could get an S22 for ALMOST free.

They run this promo, and I belive T Mobile (who sucks, or at least used to, I haven't used them in a decade) and POSSIBLY ATT are doing it again.

Send that antiquated thing back and get a new phone.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You have to add a line for the $800 off deal. $400 off for an eligible trade in, not just anything. At least on T-Mobile at this time. To take advantage of 5G though, you'd need a new phone. You can buy an entry level 5G android phone for about $200.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
As for your contacts being lost.
After the hard reset and data wiped, then when you log on to google your contacts will be restored.
But you'll lose old messages, and maybe some pictures.

Good luck.

Posts: 1574 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. My brother has had a succession of I phones, the latest being the 13. He says each one is worse than the previous one.
2. I have a Samsung S9+. It is the Chucky of cellphones. It has a mind of its own. It changes settings at will. Turns Airplane Mode on and off. Same with Bluetooth.The other day, it placed an embarrassing text on Facebook. Just put a new battery in it and it's still draining too rapidly
3. I was in the Verizon store the other day and the tech said there are three levels of reset. Only the third one wipes the phone clean of bookmarks etc. Don't ask me how to access them.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
1. My brother has had a succession of I phones, the latest being the 13. He says each one is worse than the previous one.
2. I have a Samsung S9+. It is the Chucky of cellphones. It has a mind of its own. It changes settings at will. Turns Airplane Mode on and off. Same with Bluetooth.The other day, it placed an embarrassing text on Facebook. Just put a new battery in it and it's still draining too rapidly
3. I was in the Verizon store the other day and the tech said there are three levels of reset. Only the third one wipes the phone clean of bookmarks etc. Don't ask me how to access them.

Those are all symptoms of your phone being infected with malware.

Hard reset it ASAP.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post