SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Steelhead fishing in March - Done!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steelhead fishing in March - Done! Login/Join 
posted
Got to Forks, Wa. and did some Steelhead fishing the other week, river water levels for this time of year were a bit low, but we did fish the Hoh River and caught some! A fun fighting fish on light tackle.

Was told October is a great month for fishing, as Salmon are plentiful. Nice people in Forks, but the logging industry is not what it used to be I suppose, so the town is dying.

Try drift boat fishing with a guide (they do all the work!), very peaceful and fun experience, and help support small town USA.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, there was mention of the guides wife going out to get "razor" clams, I have no idea what they are.

Guess they went to the beach and dug them up.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Never knew they ran that late. Most of my salmon fishing is done in the sound, with the occasional trip to the Snohomish, but never really for steelhead.

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dddddddang it...no pictures of what is being described as "perhaps the best eating clam in the world". I'm really wanting some of them Razor clams and a cold frosty beer right now!!

Thanks for posting the article old dino, I will have to make an effort the next time out there to get some, I can just see my wife's face ..what we're digging for clams at a beach??...yeah!!

You know, in Seattle we ate at this trendy Seafood place..RockCreek Seafood & Spirits, and had Brown Grouper (Brown Grouper??)...but what I really would have wanted is a bowl of razor clams!!

posted Hide Post
Now I see the picture of the clam in the article.. Roll Eyes Beautiful!

Well I did manage to get a couple of good beers out of the dinner at RockCreek so it wasn't a total loss.... Razz

posted Hide Post
It takes a certain kind of individual to go out to face the elements, I'm sure they were aware of the risks and still whether by choice or not, went out. If it's to provide for themselves or family, they have my deepest respect. Back in the day, if the family was brought up in a mining town, fishing town, or logging town for example what would you be expected to do...

I will say on this trip I did notice a steely nature to the river boat guides, a certain individualism and self reliance quality to them. Spoke of hunting for elk (I have no idea what an elk really looks like, but it sounds quite large) and bringing home three years of meat, having to skin, and cut the animal up in the forest taking up to up two or three days to complete...not exactly like going to Costco for steaks. When one of the boat trailers went down, no mechanic is called, they fix it themselves. Forks is small town of 3000+ people so you have to be self reliant to survive.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in Montana and Idaho, my Dad had an aunt/uncle and cousins that lived out on the Washington coast and up on the Olympic Peninsula, and we would go out there to visit now and then. Spent a fair amount of time clamming at low tide. Razor clams are great eating.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post